Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-22-2012, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

double cut twice a week HELP?

I have a client for next year that wants a bid for mowing. He is a guy that i used to work with when i was a carpenter and owns an electrical business. He wants a bid for his yard being double cut twice a week no matter what. Around here 26 mows is a typical season however that averages once a week. Do i literally take what i would charge to mow his yard x 52 to get the bid? Do i give him a discount as he wants to cut me a check upfront in the beginning of the year? HELP?
Old 10-22-2012, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstifel View Post
I have a client for next year that wants a bid for mowing. He is a guy that i used to work with when i was a carpenter and owns an electrical business. He wants a bid for his yard being double cut twice a week no matter what. Around here 26 mows is a typical season however that averages once a week. Do i literally take what i would charge to mow his yard x 52 to get the bid? Do i give him a discount as he wants to cut me a check upfront in the beginning of the year? HELP?
Would charge 30 percent more than the average customer as long as he is close to multiple routes an cut the yard as much as possible.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
does he want it trimmed and edged twice a week as well? if so then yes charge him for 52, if he only wants it trimmed and edged once per week then adjust and do the math. Only give a discount if you want to.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Trimmed and edged. Thing is I know he will get me tons of referrals so I want to give him a good price but I also know money I'd not an issue for him
00 chevy 3500 dump
03 dodge dakota
4 ferris wb
1 ferris ztr
2 exmark ztr
lesco spreader sprayer stand on
case 1845
western plows
Old 10-22-2012, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Give him $50 off of his bill for every referral that signs into a 1-year contract (or whatever you feel is necessary and fair) as long as the referral is over at least $1000 worth of services.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Trimmed and edged. Thing is I know he will get me tons of referrals so I want to give him a good price but I also know money I'd not an issue for him
How do you know he will get you tons of referrals? Is his location prime, and makes you highly visible or are you counting on him to provide word of mouth? I don't know what regular price is and I don't know what you think giving someone a deal is. Those are decisions you have to make. You have to know your costs. You have to make enough so you don't dread going and doing it. I would give him your price (per cut X 52) and see if he goes for it. If he does not then at this point you have to really read people. Does he just want a better deal or is he cheap. If he is just trying to get you to come off your price ask him what he was thinking, but you have to already have your next number ready to go. You have to know what it is worth to you and what your bottom dollar is.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here in the heat of the season, I cut just about everything twice. When I bid a lawn, I calculate the cost per cut by how much time it would take in the heat of the season to do it. All he's really saying is he wants it clean, no hay/grass, leaves, etc... left once your done.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Sorry, I'd likely skip on this one.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why would u skip a guy with tons of referals money up front and in a great area to get more accounts.
00 chevy 3500 dump
03 dodge dakota
4 ferris wb
1 ferris ztr
2 exmark ztr
lesco spreader sprayer stand on
case 1845
western plows
Old 10-22-2012, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Why would u skip a guy with tons of referals money up front and in a great area to get more accounts.
Because that right there spews red flags faster than I can count them flying past.
And when it starts off like that, it usually doesn't end well.