Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-22-2012, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lawn Sprinkler Rotors and Spray Heads

I know we have many irrigation guys here on this forum that know much more than I.

In your opinion, which manufacture offers the homeowners across the USA the best sprinkler heads that are readily available to them in the "Big Box Stores"?

Here in Florida, I noticed in the past few years Home Depot started carrying Hunter Heads. Which in years past could only be purchased at a professional irrigation supply store around here. It's to my knowledge that they aren't of the same quality as the ones many professionals install when first having their Hunter sprinkler system installed. Is that true?

Lowe's a few years back started carrying K-Rain heads. Which I was told have the same mechanism in them as the Hunter heads. K-Rain split off from Hunter once their contract had expired and went into business for themselves.

Can any of you shed some light on this matter? I'm sure the American people would appreciate it as would I.

Hunter, Rain Bird, Orbit, and K-Rain are often the brands I physically see in our Big Box Stores. Is that the case where you live?
Old 10-22-2012, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkler Buddy View Post
I know we have many irrigation guys here on this forum that know much more than I.

In your opinion, which manufacture offers the homeowners across the USA the best sprinkler heads that are readily available to them in the "Big Box Stores"?

Here in Florida, I noticed in the past few years Home Depot started carrying Hunter Heads. Which in years past could only be purchased at a professional irrigation supply store around here. It's to my knowledge that they aren't of the same quality as the ones many professionals install when first having their Hunter sprinkler system installed. Is that true?

Lowe's a few years back started carrying K-Rain heads. Which I was told have the same mechanism in them as the Hunter heads. K-Rain split off from Hunter once their contract had expired and went into business for themselves.

Can any of you shed some light on this matter? I'm sure the American people would appreciate it as would I.

Hunter, Rain Bird, Orbit, and K-Rain are often the brands I physically see in our Big Box Stores. Is that the case where you live?
Sorry buddy, i drive 100 mile turnaround to either Normac or Ewing and i liue 7 miles from a professional irrigation supply house. My loyalty has been earned by these companies.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-22-2012, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Since I started being online a few years back, I have heard good things about Ewing. Normac, I haven't heard of.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We only buy from Ewing. As for parts we use:

Rotors- Hunter I20
Pop-ups- Toro
Valves- WeatherMatic
Timers- Rainmaster
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-23-2012, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I like ewing, they sit in a/c alot, but they're funny.

Coffees cold (or maybe i was just hot) , but they call me mister, and im no mister.....

Good people.

_____
I like the idea,
With those i could see the heads with my mower and would quit breaking those *%$ non s-Ewing-jointed heads.

Last edited by RhettMan; 10-23-2012 at 12:07 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
Sorry buddy, i drive 100 mile turnaround to either Normac or Ewing and i liue 7 miles from a professional irrigation supply house. My loyalty has been earned by these companies.
Ditto on Ewing. I also deal with some Ag suppliers. Big box stores in almost all cases, particularly when we are talking irrigation heads, sells crap. They are the biggest perpetrators of our throw away society.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

are you serious?

maybe i misread, but you're asking me which of the HD or Lowe's line of heads are the best? they're all crap, despite being made by reputable manufactures.
go to a local supply house and support our industry. and if you cant do that call a contractor that can.

good luck donuts
Old 10-23-2012, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Without A Drought View Post
go to a local supply house and support our industry.
Bingo! When I first started out and went for parts, the sign on the branch door said, "to the trade only".Had to show proof of a contractor's license, liability insurance and bond. I never bought part one from a big box, they suck.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How much more do the professional grade heads run on average compared to their lesser equals?
Old 10-23-2012, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkler Buddy View Post
How much more do the professional grade heads run on average compared to their lesser equals?
That's not the point. Most of us can spot junk, and tell the would-be client that they are welcome to pay us for the labor and go back to the big box for warranty.