Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-24-2012, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

So, thats a medium duty truck. A 3500 doesnt actually fall under "medium duty" it's light duty. a Medium duty truck has a lot more in common with heavy duty trucks than they do with light duty trucks (like pick ups) brakes, suspension and drive train and all the components in between are better and made (and actually do) last/wear longer. Even then it's cheaper to do a lot of the maintenance on a medium duty than a light duty made for medium purposes (like a super duty ford pick up style).

So my advice is buy medium duties and never go back to light duties (when your company can make that transition) you will never regret the decision.

IT does look like a good truck, but the price has me worried, I seems low. Maybe pay a mechanic to look through the whole thing? just to be sure it is a good deal??
Old 10-24-2012, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
So, thats a medium duty truck. A 3500 doesnt actually fall under "medium duty" it's light duty. a Medium duty truck has a lot more in common with heavy duty trucks than they do with light duty trucks (like pick ups) brakes, suspension and drive train and all the components in between are better and made (and actually do) last/wear longer. Even then it's cheaper to do a lot of the maintenance on a medium duty than a light duty made for medium purposes (like a super duty ford pick up style).

So my advice is buy medium duties and never go back to light duties (when your company can make that transition) you will never regret the decision.

IT does look like a good truck, but the price has me worried, I seems low. Maybe pay a mechanic to look through the whole thing? just to be sure it is a good deal??
for sure bringing a mechanic with me its really between this and a 550 with a grain body
Old 10-24-2012, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post

My thoughts also, went with 450 and next will be 550 or bigger. Just no comparison to the 3500.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As far as the CDL goes, in MN if you are over 26k combine GVWR you NEED a CDL, our 350 at 10.5k and 15k trailer comes damn close to that, our 550 at 19k and 15k trailer comes at 34k so we need a CDL for that, and i can tell you a ticket for being over weight or not having a CDL is NOT cheap.

For a maint crew id go with a 350 type with maybe a stake bed dump, for a landscape crew, 450/550 or bigger. I cant see a maint crew ever needing the extra the payload of a 550, for soil i guess
Old 10-24-2012, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If its between this truck and a 550 with the same motor and price, get the international. Like t pain said, MDTs will run circles around light trucks dressed up as mdts
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-25-2012, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersman02 View Post
As far as the CDL goes, in MN if you are over 26k combine GVWR you NEED a CDL
Not always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.