Register free!

Old 10-23-2012, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Advion VS Bad Infestation

Has anyone used Dupont Advion on a bad fire ant problem? I have a senior living complex that is BADDDDDDDDDD. Acres of ants. I have had good luck on some places that do not have irrigation with Advion but they did not even come close to the number of mounds this place has. I would love to spray, drench and water but this is not really a option for me on this place.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you looked at top choices it's expensive but works great. We use advion to treat mounds only. Duocide works well for a cheaper option but I think only works for 30days. It will get them under control. The top choice lasts a year and is a really low rate.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am not a fan of Dupont Advion Insect Granule Bait. I have had little experience with it because it hasn't been successful for me. Yes it does seem to have a quicker but less effective Knock down. Other Baits that take weeks to gain control seem to be a more complete solution. Of course the Time factor to get into the food chain and do the job is the big draw back to baits.

I might suggest spraying in the High Traffic areas and using baits on the rest.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Member

TopChoice, I believe is a restricted product, expensive but effective on preventing re-infestations.

Advion cheap to treat large area, but needs a couple of days rain free. Difficult to broadcast over an acre if using a hand spreader such as scotts spreader due to the little amount per acre. Had good results, but started to re-infest within two months.

I prefer not to drench anymore, due to residual effects of some products, some lasting as long as 20 years (Bifenthrin).
Old 10-25-2012, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

This place is around 11 acres and I would treat around 4 so top choice would be too expensive plus its needs watered in and we are dry as a bone. Our avarage for Sept is 4.49" and we got a tad over an inch and Oct should be a tad over 4" and so for around a inch.
I may try the Advion and tell them 75% control.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-28-2012, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

[QUOTE=Turf Dawg;4563509]Has anyone used Dupont Advion on a bad fire ant problem? I have a senior living complex that is BADDDDDDDDDD. Acres of ants. I have had good luck on some places that do not have irrigation with Advion but they did not even come close to the number of mounds this place has. I would love to spray, drench and water but this is not really a option for me on this place.[/QUOTE
Not sure if fire ants are on label but we had carpenter ants crawling over gourmet ant gel to get to advion, works the balls IMO
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-28-2012, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

[QUOTE=humble1;4567893]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post
Has anyone used Dupont Advion on a bad fire ant problem? I have a senior living complex that is BADDDDDDDDDD. Acres of ants. I have had good luck on some places that do not have irrigation with Advion but they did not even come close to the number of mounds this place has. I would love to spray, drench and water but this is not really a option for me on this place.[/QUOTE
Not sure if fire ants are on label but we had carpenter ants crawling over gourmet ant gel to get to advion, works the balls IMO
Posted via Mobile Device
A good mechanic won't use a 1 inch impact gun to tighten a 5/16 screw on a hose clamp. I am afraid that is about the Level of this thread.

A real Pest Control Techs First understands the species he is trying to control. Then the type of tools he needs to use with each species he is to controls. There is a good reason Carpenter Ants crawl over a sweet bait for a Protein Bait. It is unfortunate that in some states they give Pesticides license inside Cracker Jack Boxes.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 10-29-2012, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

[QUOTE=Ric;4567984]
Quote:
Originally Posted by humble1 View Post

A good mechanic won't use a 1 inch impact gun to tighten a 5/16 screw on a hose clamp. I am afraid that is about the Level of this thread.

A real Pest Control Techs First understands the species he is trying to control. Then the type of tools he needs to use with each species he is to controls. There is a good reason Carpenter Ants crawl over a sweet bait for a Protein Bait. It is unfortunate that in some states they give Pesticides license inside Cracker Jack Boxes.

Some applicators that are bitter and might be to old to remember this basic fact, carpenter ants go after carbohydrates or sweet baits early in the spring early summer, it isn't to the end of the season till the switch to a protein bait, so with my post I am an educated pest control contractor or a true professional. Just to clear up my post for the senile. I was reffering to advion gel baits, we don't get fire ants up here so I said not sure if they are on label but it works the balls for carpenter ants. Some people from down south froth off at the mouth but aren't really as bright or educated as they might think! Or might think he's a mechanic when he really struggles with how to change oil on a 5 hp Briggs
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-29-2012, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

[QUOTE=humble1;4568091]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Some applicators that are bitter and might be to old to remember this basic fact, carpenter ants go after carbohydrates or sweet baits early in the spring early summer, it isn't to the end of the season till the switch to a protein bait, so with my post I am an educated pest control contractor or a true professional. Just to clear up my post for the senile. I was reffering to advion gel baits, we don't get fire ants up here so I said not sure if they are on label but it works the balls for carpenter ants. Some people from down south froth off at the mouth but aren't really as bright or educated as they might think! Or might think he's a mechanic when he really struggles with how to change oil on a 5 hp Briggs
Posted via Mobile Device
Additionally carpenter ants are very hard to control you can have several satire colonies and they can travel up to 300 ft from the primary one. We have never not been able to control an active infestation in a house using advion gel baits. As far as Cracker Jack box I doubt dippy down south could pass our test in math when he doesn't know simple biology about a carpenter ant and carbs. Mass has the hardest test out of all the New England states.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-29-2012, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

[QUOTE=humble1;4568100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by humble1 View Post

Additionally carpenter ants are very hard to control you can have several satire colonies . and they can travel up to 300 ft from the primary one. We have never not been able to control an active infestation in a house using advion gel baits. As far as Cracker Jack box I doubt dippy down south could pass our test in math when he doesn't know simple biology about a carpenter ant and carbs. Mass has the hardest test out of all the New England states.
Posted via Mobile Device
I love cynical humor but in this case there is no Satire except your misinformation.

SATIRE COLONIES??? Looks like you are re-writing the book. They are SATELLITE COLONIES . Now what were you saying about the Mass Test?