Register free!


Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-23-2012, 10:26 PM
Turf Dawg's Avatar
Turf Dawg Turf Dawg is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Gainesville Texas
Posts: 3,651
Advion VS Bad Infestation

Has anyone used Dupont Advion on a bad fire ant problem? I have a senior living complex that is BADDDDDDDDDD. Acres of ants. I have had good luck on some places that do not have irrigation with Advion but they did not even come close to the number of mounds this place has. I would love to spray, drench and water but this is not really a option for me on this place.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-23-2012, 11:14 PM
LLandscaping LLandscaping is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Hayden, Alabama
Posts: 1,002
Have you looked at top choices it's expensive but works great. We use advion to treat mounds only. Duocide works well for a cheaper option but I think only works for 30days. It will get them under control. The top choice lasts a year and is a really low rate.
__________________
Adam Lovell
Lovell's Landscape Management Inc.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-24-2012, 01:35 AM
Ric's Avatar
Ric Ric is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: S W Florida
Posts: 11,363
.

I am not a fan of Dupont Advion Insect Granule Bait. I have had little experience with it because it hasn't been successful for me. Yes it does seem to have a quicker but less effective Knock down. Other Baits that take weeks to gain control seem to be a more complete solution. Of course the Time factor to get into the food chain and do the job is the big draw back to baits.

I might suggest spraying in the High Traffic areas and using baits on the rest.


.
__________________
.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-25-2012, 03:54 PM
Bryn Bryn is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Middle TN
Posts: 203
TopChoice, I believe is a restricted product, expensive but effective on preventing re-infestations.

Advion cheap to treat large area, but needs a couple of days rain free. Difficult to broadcast over an acre if using a hand spreader such as scotts spreader due to the little amount per acre. Had good results, but started to re-infest within two months.

I prefer not to drench anymore, due to residual effects of some products, some lasting as long as 20 years (Bifenthrin).
__________________
Bryn
Elite Pest & Lawn Solutions
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-25-2012, 10:30 PM
Turf Dawg's Avatar
Turf Dawg Turf Dawg is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Gainesville Texas
Posts: 3,651
This place is around 11 acres and I would treat around 4 so top choice would be too expensive plus its needs watered in and we are dry as a bone. Our avarage for Sept is 4.49" and we got a tad over an inch and Oct should be a tad over 4" and so for around a inch.
I may try the Advion and tell them 75% control.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-28-2012, 10:31 PM
humble1's Avatar
humble1 humble1 is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 2,308
[QUOTE=Turf Dawg;4563509]Has anyone used Dupont Advion on a bad fire ant problem? I have a senior living complex that is BADDDDDDDDDD. Acres of ants. I have had good luck on some places that do not have irrigation with Advion but they did not even come close to the number of mounds this place has. I would love to spray, drench and water but this is not really a option for me on this place.[/QUOTE
Not sure if fire ants are on label but we had carpenter ants crawling over gourmet ant gel to get to advion, works the balls IMO
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-28-2012, 11:56 PM
Ric's Avatar
Ric Ric is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: S W Florida
Posts: 11,363
[QUOTE=humble1;4567893]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post
Has anyone used Dupont Advion on a bad fire ant problem? I have a senior living complex that is BADDDDDDDDDD. Acres of ants. I have had good luck on some places that do not have irrigation with Advion but they did not even come close to the number of mounds this place has. I would love to spray, drench and water but this is not really a option for me on this place.[/QUOTE
Not sure if fire ants are on label but we had carpenter ants crawling over gourmet ant gel to get to advion, works the balls IMO
Posted via Mobile Device
A good mechanic won't use a 1 inch impact gun to tighten a 5/16 screw on a hose clamp. I am afraid that is about the Level of this thread.


A real Pest Control Techs First understands the species he is trying to control. Then the type of tools he needs to use with each species he is to controls. There is a good reason Carpenter Ants crawl over a sweet bait for a Protein Bait. It is unfortunate that in some states they give Pesticides license inside Cracker Jack Boxes.

.
__________________
.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-29-2012, 07:46 AM
humble1's Avatar
humble1 humble1 is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 2,308
[QUOTE=Ric;4567984]
Quote:
Originally Posted by humble1 View Post

A good mechanic won't use a 1 inch impact gun to tighten a 5/16 screw on a hose clamp. I am afraid that is about the Level of this thread.


A real Pest Control Techs First understands the species he is trying to control. Then the type of tools he needs to use with each species he is to controls. There is a good reason Carpenter Ants crawl over a sweet bait for a Protein Bait. It is unfortunate that in some states they give Pesticides license inside Cracker Jack Boxes.

.
Some applicators that are bitter and might be to old to remember this basic fact, carpenter ants go after carbohydrates or sweet baits early in the spring early summer, it isn't to the end of the season till the switch to a protein bait, so with my post I am an educated pest control contractor or a true professional. Just to clear up my post for the senile. I was reffering to advion gel baits, we don't get fire ants up here so I said not sure if they are on label but it works the balls for carpenter ants. Some people from down south froth off at the mouth but aren't really as bright or educated as they might think! Or might think he's a mechanic when he really struggles with how to change oil on a 5 hp Briggs
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-29-2012, 08:00 AM
humble1's Avatar
humble1 humble1 is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 2,308
[QUOTE=humble1;4568091]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Some applicators that are bitter and might be to old to remember this basic fact, carpenter ants go after carbohydrates or sweet baits early in the spring early summer, it isn't to the end of the season till the switch to a protein bait, so with my post I am an educated pest control contractor or a true professional. Just to clear up my post for the senile. I was reffering to advion gel baits, we don't get fire ants up here so I said not sure if they are on label but it works the balls for carpenter ants. Some people from down south froth off at the mouth but aren't really as bright or educated as they might think! Or might think he's a mechanic when he really struggles with how to change oil on a 5 hp Briggs
Posted via Mobile Device
Additionally carpenter ants are very hard to control you can have several satire colonies and they can travel up to 300 ft from the primary one. We have never not been able to control an active infestation in a house using advion gel baits. As far as Cracker Jack box I doubt dippy down south could pass our test in math when he doesn't know simple biology about a carpenter ant and carbs. Mass has the hardest test out of all the New England states.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-29-2012, 10:34 AM
Ric's Avatar
Ric Ric is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: S W Florida
Posts: 11,363
[QUOTE=humble1;4568100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by humble1 View Post

Additionally carpenter ants are very hard to control you can have several satire colonies . and they can travel up to 300 ft from the primary one. We have never not been able to control an active infestation in a house using advion gel baits. As far as Cracker Jack box I doubt dippy down south could pass our test in math when he doesn't know simple biology about a carpenter ant and carbs. Mass has the hardest test out of all the New England states.
Posted via Mobile Device
I love cynical humor but in this case there is no Satire except your misinformation.

SATIRE COLONIES??? Looks like you are re-writing the book. They are SATELLITE COLONIES . Now what were you saying about the Mass Test?


.
__________________
.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:38 PM.

Page generated in 0.07899 seconds with 7 queries