Advanced Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-19-2015, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Lost hand while using a mower

Guy in town, who is about 60 years old and been in business 40+ years, lost his right hand to his walker mower today. He was doing a leaf clean when the chute clogged. He was also using his cell phone. he got off the machine, lifted the catcher and reached into the chute. A second later, he lost his entire hand, all 5 fingers and his knuckles. No chance to save anything. After talking to him, he admitted that he bypassed his seat safety switch, and there was also a problem with the blade engagement lever. He also stated he was very distracted by the phone call.

Please be careful out there. A second can change your entire life.
A lot of stupid things lead up to these events

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post
Tentatively speaking, kinda... I think... And maybe, thou I sure hope so, sure would be nice.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's too bad the brand "Walker" had to be used in the story. Was this a news story or just something in the neighborhood? I was just hoping the a news crew wouldn't say "walker". This is all about being the man with no hand. I'm so scared of the chute that I won't lift the extension with my fingers. I'll use a coat hanger or string. I definitely won't try to dig it out with the blades spinning.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Member

I agree that this has nothing to do with Walker. It could have been any brand.

There are some "nanny" switches I'll bypass, but the one that shuts off the PTO if you leave the seat is not one of them. Nothing good can happen from that.

Hopefully, your post will remind some people to be safe. Your entire life can be changed in an instant.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Member

It's Crazy that a guy with 40 yrs under his belt makes a mistake this bad.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have never and will never...not ever....disengage safety switches. You have to understand there are risks you are taking when you do this. Like the guy who recently died base jumping off a thousand foot cliff or the guy who busted up his face the other day jumping his mountain bike off a 30' cliff.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-ice View Post
It's Crazy that a guy with 40 yrs under his belt makes a mistake this bad.
exactly. any time you are off the mower the pto should be off automatically.

i've found it's not so much me i have to worry about it's all the idiots that come walking up to you while you are mowing.

they wanna come up and talk to you. they will walk right up to the mower.

always shut the pto switch off when someone comes toward you to talk. they will stick their feet right under the deck without even thinking about it.

i just find it weird they choose that time to talk to you or give you a check or something. you have ear plugs in, mower is running with blades on, etc.

you can't hear anything they are saying hardly. it just makes you have to shut everything down and stop working. it's really annoying.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree Weeze....most people don't realize just how close the blade tips are to the outside of the deck. Saw a youtube video the other day of a moron mowing with his new exmark 30 and he was doing it barefoot.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:35 PM
Moderator, Online Communities

I agree with what a few mentioned as this could have happened with any mower so, no need to single out that it is a Walker mower...therefore, I adjusted the thread title to reflect that.

thanks all
Old 10-20-2015, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry guys. I wasn't thinking. I was in shock when I heard about it and rushed to put it out there without thinking. We use Walkers in our operation and what he did, we have done too. Minus the whole safety switches being involved. Yes, this could happen to ANY mower. Hopefully it will help someone though.

Quote:
Tentatively speaking, kinda... I think... And maybe, thou I sure hope so, sure would be nice.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudosun View Post
It's too bad the brand "Walker" had to be used in the story. Was this a news story or just something in the neighborhood? I was just hoping the a news crew wouldn't say "walker". This is all about being the man with no hand. I'm so scared of the chute that I won't lift the extension with my fingers. I'll use a coat hanger or string. I definitely won't try to dig it out with the blades spinning.
Just something that happened in neighborhood. No News or police involvement. Ambulance and ER trip. Again, Sorry I used walker. It really could apply to any mower or other equipment for that matter.

Quote: