Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-07-2015, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Learned a good lesson in sales today

Had a guy call me the other day. Was referred by my local nursery. Wanted about a pallet of sod put down and I told him I don't do sod only as there's not much money to be made. He said he understood and asked what other services I offer. I told him and he inquired about my lawn renovation services. He said he thought his lawn could use Aeration but wanted me to look at it. I told him $60 consulting fee which he was fine with. Met with him today ( only took 30 minutes) and sold him on Aeration and Topdressing. Told him $200 to Aerate and I would send him quote for Topdressing. Told him since we were doing that I would do the half pallet of sod. Should be around $600 (not including materials) for probably 4-5 MH of work. Plus, this will be a new customer. Told him he should aerate at least once per year maybe twice (has a lot of large oaks). He said great.

From now on I'm going to tell any new customer everything we do and I'm sure it will lead to more jobs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-07-2015, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=Florida Gardener;5266429]Had a guy call me the other day. Was referred by my local nursery. Wanted about a pallet of sod put down and I told him I don't do sod only as there's not much money to be made. He said he understood and asked what other services I offer. I told him and he inquired about my lawn renovation services. He said he thought his lawn could use Aeration but wanted me to look at it. I told him $60 consulting fee which he was fine with. Met with him today ( only took 30 minutes) and sold him on Aeration and Topdressing. Told him $200 to Aerate and I would send him quote for Topdressing. Told him since we were doing that I would do the half pallet of sod. Should be around $600 (not including materials) for probably 4-5 MH of work. Plus, this will be a new customer. Told him he should aerate at least once per year maybe twice (has a lot of large oaks). He said great.

From now on I'm going to tell any new customer everything we do and I'm sure it will lead to more jobs.
Posted via Mobile Device[/

Glad you got a good customer. I feel like I rant sometimes but I always let new customer know all services I provide. Like your case, it always works out!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-08-2015, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just like you wouldn’t mow a lawn that’s soaking wet or apply a winterizer fertilizer in June, aeration also requires specific timing. The time of year you tackle aeration and how often you aerate depends on grass and soil type.

http://www.bayeradvanced.com/article...rate-your-lawn

Last edited by herler; 06-08-2015 at 09:01 AM.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Upsell every customer...Take pics of things that customer needs and send a email saw your mulch could use a refreshing if that's something u want done let us know...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-08-2015, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Domedays you get er done an some days you do not.