Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-20-2010, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Extremely pleased with new BadBoy AOS Diesel

We just finished our first full day of mowing with our recently acquired Bad Boy AOS Diesel. We bouhgt the 35hp CAT with 60" deck for 9999.00 and got a set of blades with it. First thing we did was set the deck up like we have on our Lighting Z, we level them first and then put a 1.5 degree forward tilt on the deck using a digital level. We primarily mow fescue and bermuda lawns in this area. We service some commercial accounts with four up to ten acres, with some having very rough lawns. The mower does an extremely good job, excellent cut quality when the deck is set up this way. We have had Deere's, Gravely Commercial's and Kubota, the quality of cut on the type of turf we are cutting is as just as good as any of the others. The torque of the diesel is fantasic as well as the low fuel consumption. The Michigan suspension seats used on the BB's are fantastic. The noise level is very acceptable
for the diesel. The extra weight of the diesel makes for an exceptional smooth ride even at near wide open speed.
We are not a dealer and have no affiliation with BB, just extrmely pleased user's. We have run our Lightning Z (26hp Kaw LC} for a little over two seasons and have had zero issues. I have read all the BB hate threads and don't get why people bash them that haven't owned them. Spec for spec they either meet or exceed the "blue blood" ztr's. You just need to set the deck right to get the same quality of cut as the others. My neighbor has a SCAG and we've cut head to head with him, he wishes he would have saved a couple of thousand after using the BB. There are many excellent mowers out there, when you break them down component by component theirs only miniscule differeneces in many of the brands, color of paint and status of owning x brand seems to be the biggest difference in many of them.
After using the diesel option at the BB price point I believe any future mower's will have the diesel option. Up until yesterday we had just used it on little thirty minute to hour jobs, after a 10 hour day in the seat yesterday, the xtra money spent of the diesel was well worth the money.
Lightning Z 60" 26 HP LC Kawasaki
Diesel AOS 60" 35 HP CAT Diesel
Stihl Trimmers, FS 74, 80(3) 90R
Stihl Blowers
Shindawia 242 trimmer
Kubota push mowers
JD Farm Equipment
Bridgeport Mill
Old 03-20-2010, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Member

glad to hear you are satisfied with your purchase....i would definately look into bad boy mowers if there was a dealer near me, they seem to be a solid mower and are very affordable
Old 03-20-2010, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Where the heck did you find an AOS Diesel for under 12k? Everything up here in the STL is 12k + for a Bad Boy diesel unless you drop down to the compact diesel 28HP which has the msrp of 9999. Was it a used/demo or was there a trade in credit?
Old 03-20-2010, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Found it at Springdale, Arkansas at Springdale Tractor, it was a left over from last year, it was their last diesel hold over. I ran into the same pricing as in your market until I stumbled on this one, they even delivered it and threw in the xtra set of blades, the nicest part though was that by taking delivery in Mo. I didn't have to pay any sales tax. That alone saved a huge chunk of change.
Stihl Blowers
Shindawia 242 trimmer
Kubota push mowers
JD Farm Equipment
Bridgeport Mill
Old 03-20-2010, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Nice, congrats on that deal. I'd love a diesel, but I think I'm going to end up with an Outlaw. I'ma ditch the spoiler though, it's a little goofy. I guess when it comes down to it, I probably don't need a diesel as I'm just cutting my own residential property (6 acres).

I'll save the $5k and save it for a compact tractor for purchasing down the road or doing some landscaping. Just purchased the house and it's been sitting vacant for about 2 years, plenty to do.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Member

If the hadn't had the deal on the diesel, I was considering the Outlaw, it is one heavy built machine. The only thing they missed imo opinion is going with a heavily cushion seat, rather that the Michigan suspension seat. Other than that it is a beast, they have definelty set a new bar on price and features/quality/value. Dealer told me BB is up 80% in sales with their people working 10 hour shifts, with them hiring more staff. He told me that preliminary numbers are showing the ztr market down 30%, so that's a 110 % shift for BB if his numbers are accurate. Their taking market share from someone.
Stihl Blowers
Shindawia 242 trimmer
Kubota push mowers
JD Farm Equipment
Bridgeport Mill
Old 03-20-2010, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianSprings View Post
If the hadn't had the deal on the diesel, I was considering the Outlaw, it is one heavy built machine. The only thing they missed imo opinion is going with a heavily cushion seat, rather that the Michigan suspension seat. Other than that it is a beast, they have definelty set a new bar on price and features/quality/value. Dealer told me BB is up 80% in sales with their people working 10 hour shifts, with them hiring more staff. He told me that preliminary numbers are showing the ztr market down 30%, so that's a 110 % shift for BB if his numbers are accurate. Their taking market share from someone.
Talked to them yesterday, and they said they are working through the weekend to try and fill all the outlaw and compact diesel orders on top of the 10 hour days. I was trying to figure out where next load of Outlaws I ordered were.

13 Gravely 460 60" 31hp
13 BB AOS 35hp 4 cylinder Cat 72"
13 BB XP 31hp Kawasaki 61", 13' 36hp 61 xp
2013 Grasshopper 325D 61" 4x rear discharge w/suspension forks !Awesome!
13 GH 725D Rear Discharge 61" 13' 430D 72"
07 Bad Boy Lightning 52 inch with 26hp LC Kawasaki (just hit 3000 hours and going strong after rolling down the road and totaling out at 22 hours!)
2012 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4 Custom!
08 Chevy 1500 v8 Shop dog
"Mow With an Attitude"
Old 03-20-2010, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Member

It's no wonder they are behind, I have seen a ton of TV commercials in our market, they should abosolutely own the homeowner market with the little 2899.00 ztr, for a home owner, it's 5 times the mower compared to the crap they sell at Wally World, Sears,Lowes or Depot. Can dealer's specify the Michigan suspension seat on the Outlaw, if I were a dealer I would have a xtra seat or two on hand and give them a price with the upgraded seat.
That is clearly the only thing I would have added to that machine.
Stihl Blowers
Shindawia 242 trimmer
Kubota push mowers
JD Farm Equipment
Bridgeport Mill
Old 03-21-2010, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You can put it on, but it kinda defeats the whole purpose of the height. If someone really wants that seat, I will just talk them into the lightning.

13 Gravely 460 60" 31hp
13 BB AOS 35hp 4 cylinder Cat 72"
13 BB XP 31hp Kawasaki 61", 13' 36hp 61 xp
2013 Grasshopper 325D 61" 4x rear discharge w/suspension forks !Awesome!
13 GH 725D Rear Discharge 61" 13' 430D 72"
07 Bad Boy Lightning 52 inch with 26hp LC Kawasaki (just hit 3000 hours and going strong after rolling down the road and totaling out at 22 hours!)
2012 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4 Custom!
08 Chevy 1500 v8 Shop dog
"Mow With an Attitude"
Old 03-21-2010, 01:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I want some pics please I know I will never drive on the west side of missory again I swear every home has their own junk yard/ make shift meth lab