Advanced Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-24-2015, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Can you hire a helper for one or two days a week?

I think think it would be nice to hire a guy for the spring rush cause I get bombarded with calls around march and april by people who want their yard mowed like yesterday and I think me being solo I end up losing out on a lot of potential customers for the season since there is only so much I can do. Then again many of those people have unrealistic expectations and are just time wasters anyways. What do you guys think? Many times i'll go over to look at the yard and find it already was mowed by someone else even though I just talked to them 30 minutes ago.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Look at local high schools. For kids after school maybe. That's what I did until I could work full time during the summer.

Pay em good. So they have a reason to show up on late notice.

Try getting customers on a schedule so when they do call you, you can say we'll we canput you down for Wednesday or etc...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-24-2015, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence92 View Post
Look at local high schools. For kids after school maybe. That's what I did until I could work full time during the summer.

Try getting customers on a schedule so when they do call you, you can say we'll we canput you down for Wednesday or etc...
Posted via Mobile Device
I wonder what a high school kid considers good. I suppose I could pay 11/hr. Would end up being $13.50/hr probably after unemployment and workers comp insurance. I'm not sure if you pay unemployment when they're part time.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah the guy I worked for paid me $10, under the table I was strictly a trimmer boy. Never mowed really.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-24-2015, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Yeah the guy I worked for paid me $10, under the table I was strictly a trimmer boy. Never mowed really.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah. Even just putting a guy on a 21'' mower scares me. Then again they could probably damage more with a trimmer so idk, but I would have to earn there trust for a while before I put them on a big mower.

I wouldn't ever pay someone under the table. Have to do it right or not at all. Nobody is ever as careful as the owner of the business, so as soon as a guy gets hurt you're done for.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Definitely. I had to earn my bosses trust. By starting on the whip. Promise them a promotion for good work. That goes along ways for us
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-24-2015, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device
Maybe you can try that in Michigan, in Florida usually any HS age persons will need a work permit and school comes first and a job will never work with your schedule. You will need to carry all insurances and pay all taxes due from their wages. Remain solo and find an adult to work with you part time until you can take on enough work to make your PT person a full time person. If your loosing work because you don't have enough time to answer your phone and work at the same time there will always be a percentage of people that will not wait.
Concentrate on taking care of your existing customer base and diversify your services to make more by offering more.
easy-lift guy
Old 10-24-2015, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
Maybe you can try that in Michigan, in Florida usually any HS age persons will need a work permit and school comes first and a job will never work with your schedule. You will need to carry all insurances and pay all taxes due from their wages. Remain solo and find an adult to work with you part time until you can take on enough work to make your PT person a full time person. If your loosing work because you don't have enough time to answer your phone and work at the same time there will always be a percentage of people that will not wait.
Concentrate on taking care of your existing customer base and diversify your services to make more by offering more.
easy-lift guy
I agree with this. I admit I was working under the table. Not anymore I'm not. I don't recommend it. And yes work permits and school permission is a must. Definitely
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-24-2015, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
easy-lift guy
I find that if I already have the equipment with me and I'm on the yard giving a quote it's best to get it done then instead of waiting a couple more days and giving them time to change their mind. Although that's not always possible cause like you said you can't put your current customers on the back burner for a new guy.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready to Mow View Post
I find that if I already have the equipment with me and I'm on the yard giving a quote it's best to get it done then instead of waiting a couple more days and giving them time to change their mind.
If you have time during your day to do that. I would never skip regular customers to do some "onetime mow"
Posted via Mobile Device