Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-26-2012, 02:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
With all of the good publicity Gravely has had lately here on LS (largely due to GMLC), it just goes to show that any manufacturer can have problems from time to time. The thing that matters most, is how the problem is handled.

I myself wouldn't be happy with a repair that used regular paint instead of powder coat. The paint will not last as long as the original PC will.
I tend to agree, but, being it is not a major structural weld, you are talking a tremendous cost to re PDC it.....so hopefully they have some kind of rustoleum like paint that matches and will be pretty resiliant.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brules View Post
I tend to agree, but, being it is not a major structural weld, you are talking a tremendous cost to re PDC it.....so hopefully they have some kind of rustoleum like paint that matches and will be pretty resiliant.
With so few hours on the machine, I would try to work out a deal to swap for a new mower and pay some (reasonable) boot (for the time he's used the mower). The repaired mower could then be sold at a reduced price (maybe for what Gravely actually had in it). This way no one is really hurt and the customer is happy, and hopefully will buy more Gravely products in the future. I would at least try this first, he can always fall back and accept what I would call an "inferior repair".

We all know that things like this are going to happen, but the customer shouldn't have to suffer for the manufacturer's faulty workmanship....that's just not right....after all, these are not 2 or 300.00 machines we're talking about. Personally, if I couldn't get anything more than a "botched repair" I'd never buy from Gravely again....but that's just me.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If it was mine I would be fine with the repair. I know it's nice to have a new looking mower forever, but the fact is after a while the mower is going to show signs of wear. The repair area is going to be small, just make sure that they match up the paint. If they use a spray can tell them to give you one to keep in case you ever need to touch it up.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would have welded that up and been done with it.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

By the time we're through talking about it here and with the manufacturer and the dealers I would have already had the guys at the trailer place grind those spots down, weld it back up and spray painted it myself all for $30, life is too short, things to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
I would have welded that up and been done with it.
That's what I'm talking about.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
By the time we're through talking about it here and with the manufacturer and the dealers I would have already had the guys at the trailer place grind those spots down, weld it back up and spray painted it myself all for $30, life is too short, things to do.

That's what I'm talking about.
BS.

On a used machine that is out of warranty, I'd do the same thing, but this one is too new to cobble it up further. A 10k machine should be repaired correctly under the waranty. That's what it's for, and yea, we all pay for our warranty when we buy a new machine. It's figured into the overall cost of them by the manu's.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Member

^ Amen. If they have a kit out for it - it is a known issue.....to make a kit, there must have been a lot of these happening.

Another issue I would have is having the dealer fix it/weld the kit on......you are telling me a local dealer can weld better than they did at the factory in the first place lol? Really?

Worst case scenario - I would take it to a real welder and let them do the welding.

But regardless, they are going to have to grind the PDC off in a 4" radius around where they will weld (otherwise the heat from the welding melts it and it is a toxic fume), thats a lot of real estate that will be rusted up in a few months after it gets spray painted.....
Old 10-26-2012, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Member

The kit is not the answer

Thank you for your responses..After reading them, I feel the kit is not the answer. I paid a lot of money for this product and for something like this to happen not exceptable. Some of you have said reweld it. I am all for that if it could be PDC again but spray paint will not hold up to 2500 hours worth of use. Is it better not to get it fixed? I go to the dealer tomorrow. I will let you know what they say.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
^ Amen. If they have a kit out for it - it is a known issue.....to make a kit, there must have been a lot of these happening.

Another issue I would have is having the dealer fix it/weld the kit on......you are telling me a local dealer can weld better than they did at the factory in the first place lol? Really?

Worst case scenario - I would take it to a real welder and let them do the welding.

But regardless, they are going to have to grind the PDC off in a 4" radius around where they will weld (otherwise the heat from the welding melts it and it is a toxic fume), thats a lot of real estate that will be rusted up in a few months after it gets spray painted.....
So you lack confidence in your welding ability? Or don't you know how to weld?

BS right there. I ground the paint off my Scag V+ deck and put "rear" outside anti-scalp brackets and wheels on it. I welded the brackets in place and painted them. They STILL have yet to start to rust after countless times in the rain over the last 5 years.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

Very good point Brules.

So, in the midst of all of the praises that have been sung lately regarding Gravely, a fairly serious lack of quality control rears it's ugly head. And as Brules points out, since repair kits have been developed, it appears to not be an isolated case.

I can't help but imagine what the posts would be if this happened to another, younger and less established brand machine. A machine like....oh, I don't know....maybe "Bad Boy"?

The posts would be something like:
1. Things that make you go hmmmmmmmm.......
2. That's why they can sell them cheaper.
3. This is the difference in USA steel and cheap foreign steel.
4. This is why I don't like (hand / robotic) welders
5.That's why I pay more to own a (Brand X) mower.
6. You now see the lack of quality quality control in (Brand X).
7. Now how important is that money you saved by buying (brand X)?
8.The list goes on and on.

So, in all fairness, I think we should all keep this in mind when a post concerning a problem with a newer, less popular brand appears. It's a fact that it happens to ALL brands! It's how the problem is handled that's important.

OK....I feel better.