Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-18-2012, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
I agree, I've been welding and painting 48 yrs. The point is a company needs to be made to stand behind their product, if they are never forced to spend money on straightening out their design or build mistakes, their product may never get better, and in the long run the company will end up suffering. It makes a company and product much better when the company must repair and resolve their mistakes.
I agree to a point but when do you draw the line on the time you'll lose and the potential money you could also lose? For something as simple as this little problem, I totally agree with Ed. If it were a wheel motor leaking or a poor cut issue or anything along those lines then it should be taking to the dealer. The cost to clean up the area, weld, grind, prime and paint would be much cheaper in the long run. The trick to it all is to inform the manufacturer of the problem in detail on the phone when convenient for you so you don't have down time waiting for the dealer to fix the one before yours before he can fix yours. Take pictures with dates on them and send them in e-mail when convenient. If I saw a cracked weld on the mower, I'd clean it up and weld it back together.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Member

I too purchased the same gravely and I am very disappointed. The machine is a lemon. First of all, I am a professional landscaper. I've run six different brands. Gravely have great zero turns (260z) but this 400 is a joke. Front end is cracking. Front caster wheels bearings keep going out. Air bag in the seat has been replaced twice.Deck idler worn. Hydro reservoir cracked. Governor running wide open. Muffler shield fell off. The ENTIRE MUFFLER SYSTEM fell off. Machine is at my local dealer now for warranty repairs ( a year old). We run machines all day long so it doesn't matter to me as long as the mower is fixed. But I can understand someone who has just gotten into the business or a home owner expecting a new mower. Gravely was my preferred choice but since the introductory of their so called top of the line 400 they have lost my confidence. Looking to purchase three more units but in my area there is a limited choice of competitors (warranty work, time and speed)to choose from.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gardener's crew View Post
I too purchased the same gravely and I am very disappointed. The machine is a lemon. First of all, I am a professional landscaper. I've run six different brands. Gravely have great zero turns (260z) but this 400 is a joke. Front end is cracking. Front caster wheels bearings keep going out. Air bag in the seat has been replaced twice.Deck idler worn. Hydro reservoir cracked. Governor running wide open. Muffler shield fell off. The ENTIRE MUFFLER SYSTEM fell off. Machine is at my local dealer now for warranty repairs ( a year old). We run machines all day long so it doesn't matter to me as long as the mower is fixed. But I can understand someone who has just gotten into the business or a home owner expecting a new mower. Gravely was my preferred choice but since the introductory of their so called top of the line 400 they have lost my confidence. Looking to purchase three more units but in my area there is a limited choice of competitors (warranty work, time and speed)to choose from.

Well that really sucks and it sure does sound like you got a lemon. I have had 2 460's. The first one I put 450 hours on the first year then decided to trade it in on another new one but this time with the EFI kohler to help save fuel. I have 250 hours on the new one now. I have never had any issues out of either machine. I have 1600 hours on our 160Z, 2100 hours on our 34Z and we had a pro-50 walkbehind we had 3200 hours on when we sold it. All of these have had very minimal issues.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 11-14-2013, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
Very good point Brules.

So, in the midst of all of the praises that have been sung lately regarding Gravely, a fairly serious lack of quality control rears it's ugly head. And as Brules points out, since repair kits have been developed, it appears to not be an isolated case.

I can't help but imagine what the posts would be if this happened to another, younger and less established brand machine. A machine like....oh, I don't know....maybe "Bad Boy"?

The posts would be something like:
1. Things that make you go hmmmmmmmm.......
2. That's why they can sell them cheaper.
3. This is the difference in USA steel and cheap foreign steel.
4. This is why I don't like (hand / robotic) welders
5.That's why I pay more to own a (Brand X) mower.
6. You now see the lack of quality quality control in (Brand X).
7. Now how important is that money you saved by buying (brand X)?
8.The list goes on and on.

So, in all fairness, I think we should all keep this in mind when a post concerning a problem with a newer, less popular brand appears. It's a fact that it happens to ALL brands! It's how the problem is handled that's important.

OK....I feel better.
I have seen frames broke, and decks broke on all brands of machines that you guys run, some with 10 hours on them, and some with 4000. You weld them back, touch up the paint and roll on till it tears up again. Robotic and human alike. Honestly that is all warranty is supposed to do. If it happens in same place 2 or 3 times more, then it turns into a bandaid fix and they start looking at replacing a frame or deck, but that is why warranty is what it is. I can tell you this, no matter the brand, guage of metal, plates, etc, there is not a brand of mower on here that can come on here and say "we have never had a weld break or a deck or frame...). And I will bet quite a bit on that statement....

13 Gravely 460 60" 31hp
13 BB AOS 35hp 4 cylinder Cat 72"
13 BB XP 31hp Kawasaki 61", 13' 36hp 61 xp
2013 Grasshopper 325D 61" 4x rear discharge w/suspension forks !Awesome!
13 GH 725D Rear Discharge 61" 13' 430D 72"
07 Bad Boy Lightning 52 inch with 26hp LC Kawasaki (just hit 3000 hours and going strong after rolling down the road and totaling out at 22 hours!)
2012 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4 Custom!
08 Chevy 1500 v8 Shop dog
"Mow With an Attitude"
Old 11-14-2013, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
I have seen frames broke, and decks broke on all brands of machines that you guys run, some with 10 hours on them, and some with 4000. You weld them back, touch up the paint and roll on till it tears up again. Robotic and human alike. Honestly that is all warranty is supposed to do. If it happens in same place 2 or 3 times more, then it turns into a bandaid fix and they start looking at replacing a frame or deck, but that is why warranty is what it is. I can tell you this, no matter the brand, guage of metal, plates, etc, there is not a brand of mower on here that can come on here and say "we have never had a weld break or a deck or frame...). And I will bet quite a bit on that statement....
Couldn't have say it better. Is made out of steel, it can be weld as many times you want. I personally will be worry if it was made out of wood.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
That's quite a list. This is the worst I've seen anyone unhappy with the new 400 series gravely
Old 11-15-2013, 05:52 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Wow! Let us know how this turns out. Certainly not typical of a 400 series.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-15-2013, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I was hoping the OP had pics of the repair.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Come on, 7 pages over this piddly issue?

My relationship with dealers is such I would have already took care of it, not saying I wouldn't have made mention here...
Yes, I might have even posted a picture, sure.
But 7 pages?

Dude...
One quick trip down the road, and somewhere between $25 and $40 for a quick weld...
$5 for some spray paint.
Done.

Granted, I can see going back to the dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
This is an example of overthinking an issue. Should have taken that unit to a real welder and got it done. Then go to home depo and get some primer and red paint and job finished. This is not rocket science to weld and paint.
No doubt.

And I can still see going the warranty route but just let them fix it and be done.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey guys. I'm new at this. Glad I found lawn site though. The machine is at my local dealer. I can go by and take pictures and upload them on the site if you like. Out of all our units, we have never had any to crack like this gravely 460. Minor cracks under the deck maybe after the unit gets 5 years old or more on it. Its funny to me..... you guys talking about weld it back together. IT DONT WORK. The dealer tried it the first time. It broke a week later. I think it is a bad design because after the weld broke the dealer told me that there is a fix which would have to be welded in the frame and also a recall on the air bag in the seat. Two more competitors in my area have similar issues..... front end cracking and front wheel bearings going on. Don't get me wrong, the 460 has a great cut, fast speed, plenty of power (fx-921) , but I this machine is not ready for prime time. I know there more cases out with the same problems.