Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-15-2013, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gardener's crew View Post
Hey guys. I'm new at this. Glad I found lawn site though. The machine is at my local dealer. I can go by and take pictures and upload them on the site if you like.
Please do.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Hey guys. I'm new at this. Glad I found lawn site though. The machine is at my local dealer. I can go by and take pictures and upload them on the site if you like. Out of all our units, we have never had any to crack like this gravely 460. Minor cracks under the deck maybe after the unit gets 5 years old or more on it. Its funny to me..... you guys talking about weld it back together. IT DONT WORK. The dealer tried it the first time. It broke a week later. I think it is a bad design because after the weld broke the dealer told me that there is a fix which would have to be welded in the frame and also a recall on the air bag in the seat. Two more competitors in my area have similar issues..... front end cracking and front wheel bearings going on. Don't get me wrong, the 460 has a great cut, fast speed, plenty of power (fx-921) , but I this machine is not ready for prime time. I know there more cases out with the same problems.
I would say welds breaking at this rate is very uncommon with any machine. My guess would be there is a problem with the metal or welding components. There is metal that can be inferior, the same as, there can be problems with the welding components, notice I did not say welding procedure.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Went by the Gravely dealer to try and get pictures of the 460 front deck cracks on the top rail and the bottom, muffler shield off, entire muffler off, idler arm flopping around, hydro reservoir cracked, air bag seat not working, front bearing worn on front tires, deck flopping around and tilted to the right, governor running wide open, grass deflector stuck, and oil change line stuck. Anyway, the dealer said it was back in the shop with the seat, muffler, muffler shield, reinforcement tube for the weld cracks and everything else broken down (Too late for pictures). I will get a receipt on all the repairs and upload it whenever they finish. This is not an isolated incident I assure you. Maybe gravely has corrected these issues on the new models (I hope). I went to Gravely's website www.gravely.com and on the testimonals section there is a complaint talking about some of the same issues... front weld cracks and deck problems. ON GRAVELY'S OWN WEBSITE.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Went by the Gravely dealer to try and get pictures of the 460 front deck cracks on the top rail and the bottom, muffler shield off, entire muffler off, idler arm flopping around, hydro reservoir cracked, air bag seat not working, front bearing worn on front tires, deck flopping around and tilted to the right, governor running wide open, grass deflector stuck, and oil change line stuck. Anyway, the dealer said it was back in the shop with the seat, muffler, muffler shield, reinforcement tube for the weld cracks and everything else broken down (Too late for pictures). I will get a receipt on all the repairs and upload it whenever they finish. This is not an isolated incident I assure you. Maybe gravely has corrected these issues on the new models (I hope). I went to Gravely's website www.gravely.com and on the testimonals section there is a complaint talking about some of the same issues... front weld cracks and deck problems. ON GRAVELY'S OWN WEBSITE.
This is very interesting, not for you, but for everyone reading the thread. How many hours are on this machine?
Old 11-17-2013, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Don't be surprised, when you are able to receive private messages, if you are contacted by Gravely. They monitor this site heavily and are huge on customer service and answering any questions. Your case is not typical and they will want to know why your machine is having these problems. We have a lot of 400 series owners here on LS and have not heard anything even close to your experience. I also know of some good sized fleets out there that have not had problems. My 452 is on its second full season with over 1200 hours. I have had one bad hour meter and two torn seat isolators replaced under warranty. Nothing major.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-17-2013, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
This is very interesting, not for you, but for everyone reading the thread. How many hours are on this machine?
About 800. I am the only one (owner) in the company who has rode this machine. Running the dog out of it 4 sure, but not abusing it. I purchased this unit 4 me because I didn't want anyone on it. I should have stuck with the Ex mark.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-17-2013, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Don't be surprised, when you are able to receive private messages, if you are contacted by Gravely. They monitor this site heavily and are huge on customer service and answering any questions. Your case is not typical and they will want to know why your machine is having these problems. We have a lot of 400 series owners here on LS and have not heard anything even close to your experience. I also know of some good sized fleets out there that have not had problems. My 452 is on its second full season with over 1200 hours. I have had one bad hour meter and two torn seat isolators replaced under warranty. Nothing major.
Posted via Mobile Device
Someone has already contacted me from Gravely. It don't make me feel any better though. Machine is not in service (downtime costing me a couple of hundred dollars a day). If this 400 is so great then why do Gravely have a kit, and a recall on the airbag. Look... I'm not new in this game (lawn care) and not trying to make Gravely look bad. But it is what it is. Trust me.... they know about all these issues. Hoping it stay minimal.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-17-2013, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
About 800. I am the only one (owner) in the company who has rode this machine. Running the dog out of it 4 sure, but not abusing it. I purchased this unit 4 me because I didn't want anyone on it. I should have stuck with the Ex mark.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm of the belief your mower was built with metal of inferior quality, or there was a bad batch of welding components involved. There is a reason behind metal cracking or welds breaking. I'm thinking they should help you somewhat with these problems, but if it was something that could have been prevented in the manufacturing process, believe me, their name is on the line and they would have stopped whatever was causing their problem. I have all ideas there was a batch of inferior quality metal purchased, which in return could cause more flex, which would crack welds. I have an idea there was a certain number of these mowers built within a certain time-frame that all had the problems you are seeing, but it may very well have been a very small number.

I am not taking up for the company, but common sense will tell you there was a contributing factor to your problem, one I feel assured the company would have prevented if known. Seeing how a manufacturer responds to their mistakes is what shows up as the defining factor of the type customer service a company offers.

Please keep us informed as to how you are treated by Gravely, all I've heard, and from my small amount of dealings with them, I would say they are a first class company.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Someone has already contacted me from Gravely. It don't make me feel any better though. Machine is not in service (downtime costing me a couple of hundred dollars a day). If this 400 is so great then why do Gravely have a kit, and a recall on the airbag. Look... I'm not new in this game (lawn care) and not trying to make Gravely look bad. But it is what it is. Trust me.... they know about all these issues. Hoping it stay minimal.
Posted via Mobile Device
Oh dont get me wrong....if I was in your shoes Id be pissed too. Time is money. I guess It wouldnt make me feel better either if others like myself are not having problems. Its good to have as much info as possible from both sides on LS. When you start to see a pattern you know you have a machine with a bad run. We have not seen this pattern with the 400 series but anything can change.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-17-2013, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
There can be lemons like yours in any brand, not just Gravely. One machine example is not much to point to, though for you being the guy that got it, it certainly is understandable to be frustrated. I can understand it leaving a bad taste in your mouth for Gravely machines. I hope they get things all sorted for you.
Around here Exmark is the top selling brand, but there are far more of them in the local service shops regularly than any other brand too. Are they bad? No, not at all. No machine is perfect, but I've yet to see a company stand behind their product, or go out of their way to help their customers like Gravely does.