Register free!

Old 10-24-2012, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Maryland Pest Test

This past Friday I took my Maryland Applicators Test. I own my business so I was not able to work under somebody for a year. I had to take the necessary courses through the local community college to qualify me to take the tests.
Courses: Turf management, Pesticide Safety, and IPM
I came into the test confident after taking these courses but I was surprises on the difficulty of the test. The Maryland Department of Ag. made the multiple choice answers so similar I had to read carefully to make sure I answered correctly. Many of the questions I eliminated answers but I often come down to two choices left to pick from. I will find out how well I did on the Core exam and Turf Exam in 2-4 weeks. Both tests were 50 questions each, the Core exam had multiple choice with 4 answer options, the Turf exam was multiple choice with 5 answer options for each question.
If I had worked for a company for one year I feel that this test would have been more difficult.
How was your test? I know each state is different, just curious to hear from others.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I took the course at a local CC also and I recommend that everybody take some kind of instructor led course prior to taking the exams. No way are you going to pick up that kind of information working for somebody.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Member

I received my letter from the MDA after only 5 days, quick turn around. The good news is that I passed both tests!! I have the training, the license, and limited experience.
Now I will need to explore further into chemicals that are cost efficient and most effective. I guess that would be the million $$$ question.

I have experimented with several chemicals at my own house this year to get familiar with them.
Sedgehammer- trial only on yellow nutsedge and very effective.
Q4 plus-excellent results on all broadleafs but it comes at a price
T-Zone- trial on wild violets with poor results and severely stresses the turf
Trimec Classic- Possible the most cost effective of the group with nice results on most broadleafs

I still have not found an effective chemical against wild violets.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I still have not found an effective chemical against wild violets.
Let me know when you do.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Just got the letter saying I can take the Maryland Pest test in February. Anybody with more insight/advice on passing this? Just ordered the books. Are the books thorough in the necessary info?

Also any advice going into my first spring of pest apps in Maryland would be appreciated. Timing, # of apps, species, brands etc. Thanks!

www.JonsLawnsMD.com
Old 01-02-2014, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonLawn View Post
Just got the letter saying I can take the Maryland Pest test in February. Anybody with more insight/advice on passing this? Just ordered the books. Are the books thorough in the necessary info?

Also any advice going into my first spring of pest apps in Maryland would be appreciated. Timing, # of apps, species, brands etc. Thanks!
There will be two tests you have to take. 1st will all be on safety and laws. The second test will be specific to turf. Know the life cycle of insects and time on application for insecticides/fungicides and herbicides. The tests in the text book are useful, the questions are similar to te test.

I took two Hort classes through CCBC, to be honest I don't feel that I would have passed without those classes. Did you take classes or work for somebody for a year to qualify for the test?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-02-2014, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I qualified to take the test based upon my college degree. No apprenticeship or pesticide specific classes so I will be depending on the study material for the information. Fingers crossed.

www.JonsLawnsMD.com
Old 03-03-2014, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Member

MD Pest test

Just passed the MD pest test. Was a lot harder than I thought it would be. Like other people on here have said, you really nned to take classes and study for the test. I am taking the fertilizer test this week.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Just passed the Missouri CORE, General Pest, and termite test each test 50 questions. I had 5 years experience. I also bought all of the manuals a total of 420 pages to study i studied for two weeks straight. Passed all tests high 80's they are difficult and it's really important to study. Ex: What raises the PH level of a pesticide. What color are the wings of a termite. A. Silky white B. Grey C. White D. Silver it's crazy you have to read every page and remember the specifics.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-03-2014, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Member

I just passed the Maryland core with 96% and Turf with 86%. Test was harder than fertilizer test but I passed from only studying the books, no classes, so that is possible. You really need to know the specifics of the insects, weeds in the turf book. There were even 2 questions involving weeds that were not in the study material but you can get 15 wrong and still pass (70%) so no big deal.

www.JonsLawnsMD.com