Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-09-2014, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

anyone have success switching away from real green software?

Bottom line.. Their support fees are not justified on my 300 customers.

Think I've given them over 12,000 bucks in support fees over the years in return for about 4 phone calls per year and updates to support features I don't use.. (Because they want more money to activate said features)

Anyhow... I need software with mapping, Routing, email invoicing, Carbon copy invoices, prepay letter generation...

The software scene has hopefully changed since I was shopping in 2005. Any input is welcome!

Ray
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-09-2014, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You can use the program without their support. If only 4 phone calls then discontinue their support and use it freely.

300 customers after that many years and that much spent?

Sounds like you may have more issues then just software!

LOL
Old 02-09-2014, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Ive never used them WAY to much $$. I can use my brain and figure out a route and do my own letters and invoices. My buddy used them and told me its not worth it becauses they nickel and dime ya.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-09-2014, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This will be an interesting thread...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-09-2014, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efficiency View Post
This will be an interesting thread...
Posted via Mobile Device
Kinda what I thought
Old 02-09-2014, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hey Ray, It's been awhile. Hope thing are pretty much back to normal up there after the tornado.

I use Billmaster. A couple others here do as well. It does everything you asked about...plus much more. We've been very satisfied.

There are some online services that are out now too. I'm not sure of the names. You can do a search for other threads(there's been many) or others may chime in.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think 300 accounts real green was not the correct choice in software.
If your plan was to have thousands of accounts then it is the correct software.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

300 customers on RG shouldn't be an issue.... my fees would actually go way up if I had over 500 customers with their software. (they have some kind of a tier system) For a while I thought it was cost justified... but now I wonder.

When I started out, I had pretty big dreams.. I thought 1-4k customers wouldn't be a problem. which is why I bought RG with the intention of avoiding growing pains. I purchased it when I had 40 customers.

as far as 'only' having 300.. I don't even have any competition other than TG.. the local guys are 'beer money' types without any signage or anything, no web presence, not incorporated, etc... I honestly think my market (75 mile radius) is maxed... and I can't find staff to open a new market. I tried. Even purchased the equipment for a 2nd crew.

I've decided as of late last year to begin the process of reducing cost, maximizing profit, and get the business ready to either pass on to my employees or sell. It's a sturdy company; debt free and profitable... but I've had extreme difficulty finding employees of any kind, which makes growth impossible.

I'm enjoying success and faster money growth in real estate right now.. I want to do that full time in the near future. I've also expanded into irrigation which is working well.. (except for the employee thing)

but that's a different story... back on topic:

Rather than bad-mouthing RG.. I want to say that the functionality of the software is quite good. The forms (invoices envelopes, etc) are priced at or below industry standards, and I of course do have a few gripes about it.. but the only reason I'm going to look into other options is the cost analysis...

Ted; I'm gonna check out BillMaster. Thanks.

yeah.. has been a while. I sorta took a break.. realized how unhealthy it was to tell people on the internet whom I've never met that they were wrong, (and I was right.) for hours every day. I'm sure I never convinced anyone.. LOL and when I lurked, I couldn't find any topic on here that hadn't already broken out into a fight that I didn't want to have to participate in.

Lost about 30% to the tornado.. Was a semi-difficult time. but it's all pretty much recovered. (thanks for asking! We're building a new much larger hospital and adding 75+ new docs and all their staff to Joplin... that will almost definitely translate into some more market here.

Any other suggestions? I'm all ears!
-Ray
Old 02-10-2014, 02:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Ray good to hear ur doing well, im not sure about RG, i dont use it bit i seem to hear more gripe about it lately then good. Im still hard filing and QB everything. My customer coint is higher but work radius is maybe 25 miles so routing is not really an issue. Is qexpress still alive?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-10-2014, 06:34 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

300 customers as a solo operator? Where I'm at that's north of 100k without seeding, aerating, grub, etc.

Not too bad.

I don't have that many and I've looked into all these programs guys like. The fees and initial prices are just too high for the little guy.

My service area isn't multiple towns so I'm in a pretty tight area. Right now I'm fine with quick books and spreadsheets. I've got all my accounts grouped into neighborhoods so if I add someone they get added to the correct list. Print it out and go. No need for me to pay for a computer to create a route(although it would be cool!)

Good luck.