Register free!

Old 07-23-2014, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Most effective herbicides for weed control?

looking for thoughts & advice on what chemicals or combination of chemicals others are using and have found to work best on controlling broadleaf weeds? Where I work we mix in a tank Mecamine-D with water and LI700(standard 2.5gal of Mec-D to 50gal water). Now if we get to a yard that has more difficult to control weeds we use Chaser2 amine to help boost the mix in the spreader tank. However, I have noticed that other than spraying in the fall there's nothing we do that is pre emergent and sometimes I'm wondering what the effectiveness is, since I have so many yards to do its difficult to get around and check every yard unless i'm driving past on the way somewhere else.

So I guess I'm wondering what everyone is using and whether there is something that we might be able to do to possibly improve on what we're doing, as this is the way its always been mostly, except for the Imprellis fiasco and switching from confront to chaser after it was removed as well. Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think your plan is good.
However, be sure to spray early in summer to stop summer annuals before they get big and tough. Try to spray 2 to 4 weeks after the last frost in your town. May 1 to 10. Spray again in October, of course--to stop winter annuals and dandelions that would otherwise appear in spring.
http://www.zipdatamaps.com/46506

Also, be sure to spot spray tough weeds during the summer treatments, as needed.

Also use Speedzone--as it is excellent. Costs more, of course.