Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 10-24-2012, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Super Z pump drive belt/idler pulley

I have a 2007 Super Z 60" deck and am having problems out of the pump drive belt/ idler pulley. The belt had been slipping of the tension idler pulley and finally tore the belt. I got a new belt and fixed it for the most part. Then there was a noticable "clanging" noise coming from it. Thought it was the pulley so I replaced it. The noise is still there and that belt just shakes all under there when it just sitting idle. Any suggestions? Also, what is the part number for that pump drive tension idler pulley? The one I replaced it with that I got from my dealer was a little wider (where the belt sits againist it).
Old 10-24-2012, 07:35 PM
Sponsor

Couple of things to look for. Prior to replacing the belt I would have checked all the pulleys not only for bearing issues but also for debris. Possible an acorn or a rock could find stuck in the vee pulley. Next would be the pivot point on the idler arm. Make sure it moves freely and greased. Third if all those check out fine I would look at the idler spring. Sometimes if it is weakened from age it will pulsate with the demands of the hydro pumps. Taking a guess on the idler because I don't know your model and serial number. Pulley 781856, idler spring 781443.

Brian O
Old 10-26-2012, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Model# 927988 Serial# 06071482

I will grease the arm and check the other pulleys. If that doesn't work I will replace the spring I guess. I have put that belt on numerous times now with it coming off while mowing, so I can take it off and inspect in no time. Everything sure is hot under there, burnt my forearm a few times putting belt back on..........

The spring does pulsate like you are saying, very bad. I always were ear plugs and it's loud.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Greased the arm (barely needed any) and checked all pulleys. Problem is still there. I guess I need to get a new spring now.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Is there anywhere I can order the dpring online? I can't seem to find one, part# 601016.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:17 AM
Sponsor

Your post does not list your location. I would think the spring is stocked by most dealers and if not, the distributor warehouse most definitely would have them in stock. Hustler sells under a 2 step distribution system but many of our dealers accept orders online and would be able to ship to you. Pending on your location I would think you are within 1 or 2 day ship area.

Brian O
Old 11-06-2012, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Replaced spring, problem still exists. Not sure what to do now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-20-2012, 06:44 PM
Sponsor

The above advise is good. The belt would bounce if there was a high spot on the belt ore the pulley is bent in some way not allowing the belt to ride tight in the vee the whole time. There is something making your belt pulsate.

With doing the above work and checking the belt and pulleys I'm at a bit of a loss. Not much there to go wrong.

Brian O
Old 11-21-2012, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Member

mine does the same thing. 2004 super z 60'. i've only replaced belt so far. it will pop off, i can put it back on and drive it without the spring on it to get it to the trailer.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Member

08 Super Z

Our 08' S/Z was throwing the belt also, very noisy. Upon inspection , one of the pulleys keyway slot had excessive wear I replaced the tensioner spring and both pump pulleys. Took care of the problem! Operating smooth! Good luck!