Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-25-2012, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temple Lawn Care View Post
basically what I need to do after installing pushrod is at the bottom of this page then?
http://www.briggsandstratton.com/sup...0the%20valves/

thanks
Thats it.
Its better to be loose. It you tighten the valves too much they wont close all the way when hot, thus you can burn a valve of get blow back into the carb.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the confirmation, I will post how my repair goes. I guess it's time to start looking into a replacement engine.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help guys, I was able to put in a new pushrod, tighten the valves, changed the oil, and air filter.......seems good to go.

I did some research last nite and the honda 13hp bolts right up to this frame and impeller. Here is a link to the motor and code if anyone is interested. I will be looking for a nice used one, 3 year commercial warranty for new is nice to.

http://www.sprayerdepot.com/Itemdesc...FUQw4AodUBsAag
Old 10-27-2012, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

This may not be much help but I had an Intek I kept having problems with on a push blower, I found out over the years that they are made cheap and sometimes you get a good one and sometimes you don't and I didn't want any of that so for years I used to get into that POS until one day I couldn't take it no more and decided to replace it, for the most part short blocked it but a new one's only $300-$400.

I decided to go with the Intek Pro 305 rather than the Intek I/C.

The only other quick fix I can think of is to adjust the valves, perhaps your clearance is way off?

Your other option(s) are to keep replacing push rods, then you can replace the entire valve lift train, perhaps the lifters themselves...
The valves should be all right but then again if one is sticking...
That would probably require ordering a cylinder head with the valves already installed because they're not much fun to replace, I've done it once and it's a hell of a job, if you're going this route might as well order one with the train as well.

When I replaced mine with the Intek Pro 305 I haven't had a problem since.

Last edited by herler; 10-27-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Valve guide slid up on the exhaust side, stopped the rocker arm, when the pushrod came up to push down the valve spring, the rocker arm couldn't move causing the break/bend. I have several of these motors and some have had this problem and others haven't. I took the head off, tapped the guide back in, drilled a pilot hole in the head and put a set screw into the guide so it will stop moving up. I have a few cylinder heads on hand so when this happens I just swap them out. Depending on what the motor is in I can swap the head out in less than a half hour. I also keep a bunch of pushrods, valve cover gaskets, and head gaskets in inventory so when the time comes to do it I'm not driving around looking for parts, since parts for these motors are cheap.

Advanced Lawn Care

Serving Southern New Hampshire and Northern Mass.
"We are your full service landscape company"
Old 11-02-2012, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Member

ok guys so i bent another pushrod and now there is gas in the oil and the plug shows it is running lean (red diode)........put a new pushrod in and set the valves. why is there gas in the oil? I am going to richen it up and start using mixed gas in it....like a 200:1 mix