Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-22-2010, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Best way to clear dense woods

I have a pretty big clearing job going right now. Its thicket woods. Tough to walk through. Clumps of "brambles"/briars" what ever you want to call it. A zillion saplings, and alot of 6-8 inch trees which is our cut off point. There are bigger trees which we're leaving. Weve been cuting everything at the ground with chainsaws and using a PC40mini X with a thumb to collect/pull it out and pile it. I'll prob have a bigger X get the stups after. We have some pretty huge piles after 2 and a half days of work, 3 guys, so I'd say its going well.

Question is. Is there a faster way. Of course a larger X would be but this one isnt too small.

A mulcher? If we just dropped the 6-8 inch trees I would imagine a CTL mulcher would rip this out significantly faster.

A dozer? With a dozer you could just push it all into a massive pile but you would only be able to burn it to dispose. Burn Ban in NY now. Not that anyone follows it but still. It would also be the least maneuverable thing to use.

So what is the fastest way to do this type of work?
Old 11-22-2010, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Or cut it and use a skid steer grapple to pull and pile
Old 11-22-2010, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mini X to pull stuff out and what about a chipper? Could you leave the wood chips in the dirt?
Old 11-22-2010, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

How much acreage?

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 11-22-2010, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thats what were doing is chipping it. Into a truck. But what about using a SSL graple instead of the Mini X bucket/thumb??? I would think that would be easier, no?

Acreage. I dont even know. Theres alot of random areas to clear. It might add up to 3 or 4.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

why not burning it?
Old 11-22-2010, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 seasons lawn&land View Post
Thats what were doing is chipping it. Into a truck. But what about using a SSL graple instead of the Mini X bucket/thumb??? I would think that would be easier, no?

Acreage. I dont even know. Theres alot of random areas to clear. It might add up to 3 or 4.
Is it going to be seeded or turned in to lawn? I would think you could use a skid/grapple. I seem to keep things cleaner if I use the excavator/thumb when pulling stuff out.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I never understood the cut and pile theory using an excavator, especially with relatively small timber..

I'd come in and do just what you been doing with the excavator(skip the cutting) and pile it on your way in.. then on your way out, pick up each pile and carry it to your larger pile.. Dont get to large of piles where you have to take multiple trips to get them. that'd be slow with a mini ex..

If you can get a skid and grapple along with a mini ex, i'd clear and pile with the excavator while I had a guy carrying my piles back to the chipper with the loader..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 11-22-2010, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd do about the same as junior, unless you could maneuver the chipper through the woods. In that case I'd think that it would be quite a bit cheeper to avoid running second machine.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I do about like JR except I stack it in my truck haul it out to dump site when I have room for the truck. This way theres no going back thru stumping using the hunt and find method even if you want the stumps off I would rip the stump out then cut. Heres some pics of a water way I cleared of course I had plenty of room to work but I still had to carry it way across a field to dump then repile to let it dry for burning and the field was way to dry around it to burn now anyhow
Attached Images