Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-24-2012, 04:00 AM
LawnSite Member

looking for some input on how i am doing and some possible tips

been in business about 3 years legally

i have approx 55 residential lawn customers ranging from 15-55 per cut.
about 20 snow customers ranging from 20-35 per storm

i feel i can get alot more work done but i am not confident in myself with some jobs so i kind of shy away from them. How should i approach this situation because i do want to learn and expand

equipment wise:
01 f 150 lariat
6 x 10 oopen trailer
33in cub cadet
36in bobcat walkbehind
36in wright stander
2 redmax blowers
2 echo trimmers
echo chain saw
echo hedge trimmer
edger

any input towards anything would be great! trying to build the business the right way and learn as i go
Old 10-25-2012, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Member

no input?? lol
Old 10-25-2012, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Without knowing where your from can't judge your prices. Don't know how much you charge per hour. Or how much you gross and net.

Having 55 customers sound good if 50 of them are paying you $55. Bad if 50 of them are paying you $15. We may be psycho but we're not psychic.

Take on the small jobs. Sub out those jobs and work with the contractor. Lean on him and learn as you go. You won't make a lot of cash money, but you will get priceless knowledge.

You better be in the 3rd world mowing for $15's, or you better be mowing the world's smallest lawns for $15's.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
Without knowing where your from can't judge your prices. Don't know how much you charge per hour. Or how much you gross and net.

Having 55 customers sound good if 50 of them are paying you $55. Bad if 50 of them are paying you $15. We may be psycho but we're not psychic.

Take on the small jobs. Sub out those jobs and work with the contractor. Lean on him and learn as you go. You won't make a lot of cash money, but you will get priceless knowledge.

You better be in the 3rd world mowing for $15's, or you better be mowing the world's smallest lawns for $15's.

i only cut one for 15 bucks its just a front yard and it takes like 12 minutes its not big plus i plow and fert along with other things there.

mainly my price is about 25 bucks, hourly rate i was told 35 per hr per man so i try to stick to that

as far as gross and net i do pretty well i have very little drive time which helps out all 55 properties are within 10 miles
Old 10-25-2012, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What don't you feel confident about? What jobs specifically? More lawn care jobs/landscape jobs?
Old 10-25-2012, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy123 View Post
What don't you feel confident about? What jobs specifically? More lawn care jobs/landscape jobs?
Doing the bigger jobs like hardscapes, sod jobs, big installs.....i have been trying to research and learn slowly but i feel if i get the job and dont do it up to my normal quality i am gonna lose customers or end up costing myself money.

Also estimating i seem to rush or over look things. i try not to low ball too much anymore i want the people to want me because i provide great service not just a cheap price.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles landscape View Post
Doing the bigger jobs like hardscapes, sod jobs, big installs.....i have been trying to research and learn slowly but i feel if i get the job and dont do it up to my normal quality i am gonna lose customers or end up costing myself money.

Also estimating i seem to rush or over look things. i try not to low ball too much anymore i want the people to want me because i provide great service not just a cheap price.
Okay, on pricing at least with mowing, it helps me to consider the amount of trimming needed. For example, if they have a playground in their yard, that's a lot more to whip around. So I'd add $5 more just for that.

As far as the landscapes, that's not my forte as I'm mainly maintenance. I do know that with just about anything, familiarity breeds confidence. I think that the more you do it the more confident you'll be. That's about all the advice I can offer on that subject...sorry.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Okay, on pricing at least with mowing, it helps me to consider the amount of trimming needed. For example, if they have a playground in their yard, that's a lot more to whip around. So I'd add $5 more just for that.

As far as the landscapes, that's not my forte as I'm mainly maintenance. I do know that with just about anything, familiarity breeds confidence. I think that the more you do it the more confident you'll be. That's about all the advice I can offer on that subject...sorry.
ok thanks!! how about clean ups? for fall i have been doing regular mowing price plus $1/basket of leaves i haul otta there my truck holds about 80 baskets and i get charge $30 to dump. Am i doin that okay or should i be charging an hourly rate instead ? Is it worth getting a lawn vaccum also i looked at one before the fall just figured id wait
Old 10-25-2012, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles landscape View Post
ok thanks!! how about clean ups? for fall i have been doing regular mowing price plus $1/basket of leaves i haul otta there my truck holds about 80 baskets and i get charge $30 to dump. Am i doin that okay or should i be charging an hourly rate instead ? Is it worth getting a lawn vaccum also i looked at one before the fall just figured id wait
They way you charge is different than I do...but the price seems pretty close to the same. I usually charge 3x's the mowing cost, and that's worked out well for me. As far as the collection system, I use a peco on a Zero turn. It makes light work of my clean up jobs. If you don't have a system like that, mulch your leaves a ton, until they're little pieces, then go back over and bag it. That will help to pack in more leaves in.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
They way you charge is different than I do...but the price seems pretty close to the same. I usually charge 3x's the mowing cost, and that's worked out well for me. As far as the collection system, I use a peco on a Zero turn. It makes light work of my clean up jobs. If you don't have a system like that, mulch your leaves a ton, until they're little pieces, then go back over and bag it. That will help to pack in more leaves in.
would i be able to hook that up to a wright stander ? or is it something on its own?