Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-25-2012, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Member

If I were you I wouldn't start up again unless you seriously reevaluate your entire business.

Start by making a business plan. From there get properly licensed, bonded, and insured. Then maybe do a little bit of research. Learn about the business. Remember knowledge is power. Then do some marketing. You can start off by offering a first time special, but then raise prices from there. Walk around and talk to homeowners; be a salesman. From there you will gradually build up clientele.

There is a lot more to it, but this is a start.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grounds Crew View Post
If I were you I wouldn't start up again unless you seriously reevaluate your entire business.

Start by making a business plan. From there get properly licensed, bonded, and insured. Then maybe do a little bit of research. Learn about the business. Remember knowledge is power. Then do some marketing. You can start off by offering a first time special, but then raise prices from there. Walk around and talk to homeowners; be a salesman. From there you will gradually build up clientele.

There is a lot more to it, but this is a start.
I agree^^

First off, how old are you? It sounds like you are young and need some business classes. What you will learn is, don't bid the jobs just to get them. Usually the ones you "lowball" to get, will end up costing you more money than they are worth, and the customer will not be happy.
2005 Exmark 48" Turf Tracer
2005 John Deere 647 Quik Track 48"
Stihl Handhelds
Old 10-25-2012, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Check with county gov. Some places require a license, some just register your business, EIN, sales tax No., workman's comp ins, though if just you then option to get a WC waver.

Have relatives get estimates from reputable LCO's to see the prices being charge where you live. New Iberia, were in the 3rd world is that? Then figure a system of how you would figure those rates.

Determine your hourly costs now that you have had your first year of business.

As already told, I'm one of those that has a PT job. Three eve's a week and Sat. day. They let me call in sick when it snows.

Lawns done. Fall clean ups. Lime applied in the fall. Gutters cleaned in the fall. Trim trees. Prune shrubs. Trim hedges. Fall Fert. Get out there and start selling. Is it to late to sell reseeding where you are in the 3rd world?
Old 10-25-2012, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVANTEC LAWNS View Post
okay ,how do i say this.this is my first year owning a lco.im not lic,insured, or have bank accounts yet for my company. have had everything made out to cash r cash it self. i started up in may , and had about 20-25 yards. and was prolly making 300 -400 a week , i bought a small new ztr. taking out a loan of 5k . paid soo much off now its down to 1800. but that has nothing to do with why im failing. anyways about ten of the 20 yards i had.i got 8 now. where for a guy who owns a good part of the town where i live. he was very cheap and didnt want to pay a whole lot. 10 small . small as in breeze way sized yards. which i shot my self in the head and bidded too low.but i got them at 120 $. eventully i realized i really was wasting more gas than i was making money after i saw my gas bill for the first month, last week he found someone who i must think is doing it for a lot cheaper than me. cause i always had shown up on time . had it all cut blown and trimmed.. and he also was one of those cliants who give hell when its time to collect.always hard to get a hold of. and once i did, i had to wait a day to 5days to collect.not doing buissness with him anymore forsure. but as i said in the topic of this tread.i reallly need some help or else my lco is going to fail the first year.i was doing soo well at the begining of the summer. i wasnt getting to many calls .it was mostly word to mouth or face book .but now that winter is here. i honestly dont have any idea to make a buck with out getting a second job. can anyone give me some ideas to pick up some different types of jobs? no insurince or lic like i said only cash jobs.
It sounds to me like you are in an exact same position I was in my first year. Obviously I got through it though, and I wish you the best.

Step one, get a job so you keep food on the table, (especially if you have dependents)
Step two, Have a business plan, follow it and edit as needed regularly.
Step three, Once you have a business plan you need to evaluate your pricing. I am not sure where you are but doing 20 lawns a week for $400 is $20 per lawn.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

All great advice so far in this thread. I'll put a spin on some things for ya to think about.

Sometimes you learn your greatest weaknesses and strengths and why you failed, when you fail. Here's the thing, don't let that chapter of your life stop you from your dream. Keep growing and never stop reading and learning about the business. You will make mistakes and have tough days and even tougher years, but eventually, the pieces of the puzzle will come together. Good luck to you.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVANTEC LAWNS View Post
okay ,how do i say this.this is my first year owning a lco.im not lic,insured, or have bank accounts yet for my company. have had everything made out to cash r cash it self. i started up in may , and had about 20-25 yards. and was prolly making 300 -400 a week , i bought a small new ztr. taking out a loan of 5k . paid soo much off now its down to 1800. but that has nothing to do with why im failing. anyways about ten of the 20 yards i had.i got 8 now. where for a guy who owns a good part of the town where i live. he was very cheap and didnt want to pay a whole lot. 10 small . small as in breeze way sized yards. which i shot my self in the head and bidded too low.but i got them at 120 $. eventully i realized i really was wasting more gas than i was making money after i saw my gas bill for the first month, last week he found someone who i must think is doing it for a lot cheaper than me. cause i always had shown up on time . had it all cut blown and trimmed.. and he also was one of those cliants who give hell when its time to collect.always hard to get a hold of. and once i did, i had to wait a day to 5days to collect.not doing buissness with him anymore forsure. but as i said in the topic of this tread.i reallly need some help or else my lco is going to fail the first year.i was doing soo well at the begining of the summer. i wasnt getting to many calls .it was mostly word to mouth or face book .but now that winter is here. i honestly dont have any idea to make a buck with out getting a second job. can anyone give me some ideas to pick up some different types of jobs? no insurince or lic like i said only cash jobs.
Unbelievable!! I'm sorry but you have been on lawnsite since 2009 and this is the best you could come up with. No lic or insu, low balling like crazy, cash only not paying taxes probably on unemployment and then make a thread like this for help. All the you need is on LS you just have to follow the advice you get. I'm sorry this just rubs me the wrong way.
Trac vac loaders and bagger
Billygoat 1302sp blower
Stihl handhelds
2003 GMC C4500 14ft dump
1998 Chevy 1500 Z71 with 8ft EZ dumper
2003 GMC W3500 18ft box cabover
6.5x12 landscape trailer
Jrco leaf plow
Part time for now and solo for now.
Third year!
Old 10-25-2012, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Since you are asking for advice. Go work for the man and do lawn care on the side but stop low balling.
Trac vac loaders and bagger
Billygoat 1302sp blower
Stihl handhelds
2003 GMC C4500 14ft dump
1998 Chevy 1500 Z71 with 8ft EZ dumper
2003 GMC W3500 18ft box cabover
6.5x12 landscape trailer
Jrco leaf plow
Part time for now and solo for now.
Third year!
Old 10-25-2012, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I thought the title was help me BEFORE I fail? Did I miss something..... ?
Old 10-25-2012, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sell all of your equipment and get a real job. If you have interest in this field then get a fulltime job working for another lawn company and learn from them.

Also, All_Toro_4ME provided some very good advice. However he does not mean keep being a scumbag and keep lowballing. "Keep growing and never stop reading and learning about the business". Relating that quote to your own situation would mean "Start reading and learning about the business."
Old 10-25-2012, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmill26 View Post
Sell all of your equipment and get a real job. If you have interest in this field then get a fulltime job working for another lawn company and learn from them.
A brilliant piece of advice that many have too much pride to execute. Working for another LCO is the way to go. Work for them all of next year. Save a portion of your wages for your own equipment. BTW, everyone can benefit from college courses. Some of the best ones can be found here FOR FREE: http://education-portal.com/articles...e_Courses.html

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. --Leonardo da Vinci

http://integritylawnpro.com

Last edited by Chilehead; 10-25-2012 at 09:22 PM. Reason: TYPO