Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-24-2003, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Member

This is the one

well I think this may be the one finally. Walker Talker I went with your ideas on the fonts and going to lawn & landscape. I like it now all I gotta do is convince the wife it's good. It needs a little finessing I know. Anyone out there who is good at finessing ? Dave finesse was never one my strenghts
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2003, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Looks nice, but I would still worry about how hard the font might be to read from a distance if you are using it on truck or trailer signs.

If you could find something a little simpler with a similar style it might help (but, unfortunately I don't have any examples to help).
Old 01-24-2003, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

David,

Have you ever thought of getting rid of the word "The". Sound it out loud without it. Dunno...I kind of like it better without it.

just my 2 cents.
Old 01-24-2003, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Seen a guy running around my town this summer. his logo on his truck read. Other Side Of The fence turf care
Old 01-24-2003, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree with Bruces the font should be easy to read. Cursive fonts are notorious for being hard to read.

I also hope you didn't try too hard or even at all to convince your wife to go with your logo. My thoughts are you should not convince anyone to like your logo... especially at this stage of the game. I recommend you really seek the honest view of logo from your wife and other women (be careful). Afterall, it is likely the woman of the house is going to be the one that does the hiring.

"Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
-Mahatma Gandhi
Old 01-25-2003, 03:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am going to try to post a copy of your logo that I messed around with a little. Let me know what you think? It is real easy to add color if you would like.
Attached Images

Old 01-25-2003, 06:21 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Been that done that...my fonts on my equip lettering are not simple and bold enough....they are very nice....but I wish I had kept it more simple like the guys said above...you want it readable while driving and from a distance while parked...you have a catchy name....so make sure everyone sees it
Old 01-25-2003, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd like to see heygrassmans logo in color. Green letters on white picket fence. I also don't like the word "the". The reason I think heygrassmans is better is because I don't have to focus on two different things. I can see the name and the fence in a quick glance. Maybe you can get more elaborate with some grass at the bottom and/or a tree in the background, but I think the name on the fence is good as it is.
Old 01-25-2003, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I found that one of the most important parts of a logo is its cost to reproduce. If the logo has shading on the outside of letters, it adds to the cost. The more colors, adds to cost. If I could do it again I would have gotton a logo in ONE COLOR so that when I printed it in black and white, it worked. Its hard to read mine in black and white, and when I had my business cards printed I had to pay art fees to have them manipulate it a little. When I had my pens produced last week, I went without the logo because it would have added $0.09 to each pen for one color, .14 for two colors. Art fees can really hit you on a small project like business cards if having them printed professionally, which you will end up wanting to do. I did them on my computer for a week before I said "boy, these look like a 6 yr old's mowing business". Mine were $65 for 1000, plus $25 for the one time art fee. Thats nearly 40% extra because my logo designer was a beginner and put a white outline around my letter... I would post pics of the old logo to show the difference, but I deleted it long ago so that I wouldnt accidentally use it.
Old 01-25-2003, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Roscioli. If you are going to build a logo, actually build a logo that has one color looks the same in black and white jobs.

Here is where it has come to benefit me. I have a local printer (Minuteman Press) that has "Free Color day". Kinda a gimmick cause they get $.13 per piece to print but I will take a $.13 color flyer vs $.075 per from Kinkos for b/w any day of the week. But, Wednesday is Free Green day (always thought thurs would have been better marketing..but that is another thread). So I can get a nice flyer in 2 colors very afforably.

However to Roscioli's point, I would not find the same increase in price as a value for a plastic pen. So, one logo that can do both is great to have.

Here is the earlier logo with some of the suggestions:

Logo in Color.
Attached Images