Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-25-2012, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

How much is too much

Well yesterday morning my governor or something gave out on my Permagreen so I put my new skid to use. Until now I have been using the skid for ants and just small front lawns and side lawns. Spraying Simazine and Speedzone Southern, I treated right at 54K but used right at 60K worth of mix. Is 4-6K a acceptable difference when treating 54K of lawn to you guys that have been pulling hose awhile. I thought .11 or less would be fine. I sure I will get a tad better.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post
Well yesterday morning my governor or something gave out on my Permagreen so I put my new skid to use. Until now I have been using the skid for ants and just small front lawns and side lawns. Spraying Simazine and Speedzone Southern, I treated right at 54K but used right at 60K worth of mix. Is 4-6K a acceptable difference when treating 54K of lawn to you guys that have been pulling hose awhile. I thought .11 or less would be fine. I sure I will get a tad better.
When I taught Materials Calculation we accounted for up to 10% Over or Under as acceptable for beginners. 10% over application won't or shouldn't hurt your turf, ONLY YOUR POCKET.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe you under measured.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sometimes those little springs rust out. Or maybe the air-vane governor gets a little ****-eyed. Five minute job at a good mower shop...in theory.

I don't think 12 percent over-use is too bad. Some of that is due to underestimating the lawns actual size. Either that or you walk 12 percent too slow. Perhaps you are a rather relaxed person.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Sometimes those little springs rust out. Or maybe the air-vane governor gets a little ****-eyed. Five minute job at a good mower shop...in theory.

I don't think 12 percent over-use is too bad. Some of that is due to underestimating the lawns actual size. Either that or you walk 12 percent too slow. Perhaps you are a rather relaxed person.
The linkage, butterfly, spring, lever, ect.... on the outside is fine. The internal parts seemed to have given way but they think they can put in a new gov and rebuild. Needed a new carb, muffler and things like that anyway.

I truly think most of my overuse was due to overlaps but I am sure speed played a roll also.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-25-2012, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post
I truly think most of my overuse was due to overlaps but I am sure speed played a roll also.
What do you mean overlaps? Im sure you know that your supposed to overlap back to your footprints. Your not to far off. You didnt hurt anything unless the overage was from a leak in the hose on the lawn.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillie View Post
What do you mean overlaps? Im sure you know that your supposed to overlap back to your footprints. Your not to far off. You didnt hurt anything unless the overage was from a leak in the hose on the lawn.
Foot prints and tire tracks must be a Rye, Fescue and Bluegrass thing because you cannot see either one in our grasses.

Hose is good I am just going to have to get a little better at speed and width. I have caught myself slowing down some in a couple of new lawns with heavy weeds.

I am still getting used to the pattern these guns put down too because with the flat fan and floodjet I feel the more dense spray with smaller dropplets provide a better coverage on small newly emerged weeds [the ones a couple of millimeters in size].
Old 10-26-2012, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dawg, are you using a Chemlawn gun? When I used a Chemlawn gun the overlap was about 6 to 12 inches on each side--pattern was about 7 feet measured center to center.
At seven feet wide that would be about 142 feet to equal 1000 sqft. That is I had to walk at about 1.6 miles per hour, to cover 1000 sqft per minute.
However, I covered about 1300 sqft per minute. So I had to walk 186 feet per minute. That is 2.1 miles per hour.

It is best to calibrate on a large square area, at least 10,000 sqft. Measure the gallons of solution and square feet covered very carefully; small variations are evened out.

If you use more or less gallons per thousand than you thought--make a new fill chart using the actual gallons you apply.