Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-29-2012, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrogan78 View Post
That 19hp engine was another concern of mine. Most of the other machines in that category have at lest 24 hp engines. Is the 19 really enough to cut a week or so worth of growing at full speed?
Posted via Mobile Device
When I was waiting delivery of my Tiger Cat I had a Freedom Z on loan for a week or so. My lawn is fertilized, irrigated and grows like crazy in the summer. The 19-hp Kawi motor did not have any problems cutting through my lawn growth. I was discharging and not mulching. If you mulch it could be a problem in tall wet grass.
Lawnboy 10227 2T push mower
Stihl BG86 handheld blower
Stihl BR550 backpack blower
Stihl KM110R kombi system with lots of attachments
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer 24-inch blades
Stihl MS260PRO
Stihl MS460
Stihl MS660
Echo SRM210 trimmer

Klotz SuperTechniplate
Old 11-01-2012, 07:54 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I think the freedom Z only goes 8mph

Snapper: CP218520 Comm Hi Vac
70s Hi Vac
LawnBoy: 10227 wi/bagger
Scag:SW36 Grass Packer/Kawaski engine
Shindaiwa: T242 LE242 RS41T231X
STIHL: MS210C BG55x2
Kawasaki:KRB650B KHDS600A
Toro:1 Stage snow blower
Lesco: 4Gal BP sprayer #80 SS spreader deflector/hopper cover
Quality Steel: 5x8 utility trailer JJ trim rack Xtreme shovel rack

Shindaiwa and kawasaki beat Stihl
Click here for my work thread
The kid who cuts lawns, and does it very well
Old 11-01-2012, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrogan78 View Post
That 19hp engine was another concern of mine. Most of the other machines in that category have at lest 24 hp engines. Is the 19 really enough to cut a week or so worth of growing at full speed?
Posted via Mobile Device
I have a 19hp Kawi on my 42" Super duty and it is incredible. The machine is fast and has never bogged down once. However, this is a 42" with two blades. Both great machines, I was between a Freedom and Hustler years back and went with Hustler and I am glad I did.
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Old 11-02-2012, 09:26 AM
Sponsor

Just to put a little bias suggestion in this talk. I've worked for corporate lawn mower manufacturers and privately owned manufacturers. There is a big difference between the two when it comes to after the sale support. You will see at times Mr. Mullet engaging discussions on this sight. I don't recall any other President of a mower manufacturer doing that. The Corporate company answers to stock holders when the private company answers to you. When making a purchase as large as the one you are about to you need to look down the road at the after the sale support. I don't mean just the dealer, but the maker of the equipment. Hustler has your back.

Brian O
Old 11-02-2012, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Member

The Scag Freedom is alot better choice than the Hustler Fastrak for the simple reason of discharge.The question of best support Scag again hands down. SORRY Mr Midwest
Old 11-02-2012, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustlermidwest View Post
The Corporate company answers to stock holders when the private company answers to you.

Brian O
Not sure if this was a general statement, but Scag is owned by a private company as well.
Lawnboy 10227 2T push mower
Stihl BG86 handheld blower
Stihl BR550 backpack blower
Stihl KM110R kombi system with lots of attachments
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer 24-inch blades
Stihl MS260PRO
Stihl MS460
Stihl MS660
Echo SRM210 trimmer

Klotz SuperTechniplate
Old 11-02-2012, 06:34 PM
Sponsor

I stand corrected,
I meant privately owned vs Corp.
Correct, Scag is owed by Metalcraft I believe.
Brian O
Old 11-02-2012, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have both here side by side. Both trades, I agree with the guy earlier the Fastrak looks a little beefier. I like the Scag with the motor turned the right way instead of to the side, and I like the bars on the rearend of the scag protecting the motor. Here is my negative on the scag. I don't know if its a weird coincedence or what, but the one Bad Boy I sold with a 19hp Kawasaki for a homeowner in 2008 crapped out last week (just installed a new one on it for $1550), and on a Scag 48" 19hp I got on trade couple weeks ago is smoking like i am spraying mosquitos. I just got rebuild parts to rebuild both the old BB motor and the scag. This is the only 2 kawasaki 19hp I have ever touched, sold ,or seen in 5 years I have been a mower dealer, and they both require rebuild same week. Both motors were built in 2008 and both were homeowner owned very well taken care of. I personally would lean someone on a machine with the 23 or 25hp more streamline kawa here with much less issues. Percentage wise the 19hp has a 100% failure rate here within 300 hours on one, and 1200 hours on the other...lol. The Scag does a have bigger discharge chute opening, but they cut so identacle its scary.... no wet lush grass to compare though.

13 Gravely 460 60" 31hp
13 BB AOS 35hp 4 cylinder Cat 72"
13 BB XP 31hp Kawasaki 61", 13' 36hp 61 xp
2013 Grasshopper 325D 61" 4x rear discharge w/suspension forks !Awesome!
13 GH 725D Rear Discharge 61" 13' 430D 72"
07 Bad Boy Lightning 52 inch with 26hp LC Kawasaki (just hit 3000 hours and going strong after rolling down the road and totaling out at 22 hours!)
2012 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4 Custom!
08 Chevy 1500 v8 Shop dog
"Mow With an Attitude"
Old 11-02-2012, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
I have both here side by side. Both trades, I agree with the guy earlier the Fastrak looks a little beefier. I like the Scag with the motor turned the right way instead of to the side, and I like the bars on the rearend of the scag protecting the motor. Here is my negative on the scag. I don't know if its a weird coincedence or what, but the one Bad Boy I sold with a 19hp Kawasaki for a homeowner in 2008 crapped out last week (just installed a new one on it for $1550), and on a Scag 48" 19hp I got on trade couple weeks ago is smoking like i am spraying mosquitos. I just got rebuild parts to rebuild both the old BB motor and the scag. This is the only 2 kawasaki 19hp I have ever touched, sold ,or seen in 5 years I have been a mower dealer, and they both require rebuild same week. Both motors were built in 2008 and both were homeowner owned very well taken care of. I personally would lean someone on a machine with the 23 or 25hp more streamline kawa here with much less issues. Percentage wise the 19hp has a 100% failure rate here within 300 hours on one, and 1200 hours on the other...lol. The Scag does a have bigger discharge chute opening, but they cut so identacle its scary.... no wet lush grass to compare though.
Thanks! This was really helpful! I'm leaning more towards the fast trak with the 24hp Kawasaki.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-02-2012, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustlermidwest View Post
Just to put a little bias suggestion in this talk. I've worked for corporate lawn mower manufacturers and privately owned manufacturers. There is a big difference between the two when it comes to after the sale support. You will see at times Mr. Mullet engaging discussions on this sight. I don't recall any other President of a mower manufacturer doing that. The Corporate company answers to stock holders when the private company answers to you. When making a purchase as large as the one you are about to you need to look down the road at the after the sale support. I don't mean just the dealer, but the maker of the equipment. Hustler has your back.

I was mainly looking away from the hustler for a while and more at the scag due to the three local dealers here didn't represent them very well. Their inventory set outside all the time, arm rest were falling apart from the sun, rust on the key chains, etc. Just not real impressive for a $6k investment. I just found another dealer not much further away whose equipment is in perfect shap. Really takes care of his product. That another think that's swinging me back to hustler. About 90% sure that's where we r heading.

Brian O
Posted via Mobile Device