Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-25-2012, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

mold/mildew/algae

I power washed a couple houses the other day and was able to get all the dirt and grime off the siding, but i couldnt get the mold/mildew and algae colors off of them. I got as close with the wand as i felt comfortable with as to not do any damage. what are you guys using to get those stains off. houses have both vinyl and wood siding thanks for the help
Old 10-25-2012, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i am using a 2600 psi with 2.7 gpm machine
Old 10-25-2012, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't pressure wash for money but whenever I do vinyl I rinse it down, spray it with bleach and then it comes off like butter with the pressure washer.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for the reply. i thought about bleach but i was worried about bleaching or fading the color on the house.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I do it in sections, It takes just a few minutes to cut the algae and mold. I have never had it fade or discolor the siding. Just don't spray too far ahead of yourself where it would dry ahead of you before hitting it with the washer.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Member

I also recommend using bleach, but I use a 50/50 mix of Clorox Outdoor Bleach and Simple Green, then dilute at 10:1 by running it through the injection system. The combination of outdoor bleach and Simple Green gives a thick/sudsy concoction that will cling to the surfaces really well and both are safe to use around plants, grass, etc. I use this mix on siding, concrete, wood, brick with great results.

I let it sit for 3-5 mins. and use high volume/low pressure to rinse well. Contrary to popular belief, using bleach with downstream injection will cause no harm if a good rinse is done after each use. I also use compressed air to blow all water out of hoses, use Pump Saver and lubricate all o-rings/couplings after each use. It's keeping up with Preventive Maintenance that makes alot of difference down the road.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for the advice guys ill have to give the bleach a try
Old 11-12-2012, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yes sir bleach works wonders. not the only thing i use but its one of 3 products and the bleach is for the mildew.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Greased Lighting has worked well for me on metal on my own home. I was concerned about the bleach even diluted and the landscape below.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 11-22-2012, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Member

We never use a PW to clean vinyl siding. We use low pressure (85 psi) with a Fatboy pump and use 12.5 sodium hypoclorite (SH) and a good surfactant. About 2 gals. SH in a 40 gal mix. Anything that is growing on the house is gone within a few mins. (depending on the temp.) We water all the vegetation before the application and after rinsing. The only time we use the PW is when we don't have good water pressure from the house and then we use the house wash soap tip just for distance. If it's only a house wash, average two story 2000 sf house, we are finished in just about an hour.