Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-25-2012, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Need suggestions for weed control in a gravel lot.

I've been reading some other threads to try to get ideas but, I'll just put it out there:
I've got a bunch of weeds where I keep my equipment, and the owner of the lot asked me to take care of the weeds. I usually do just tree treatments, and not herbicide applications so I'm not extremely knowledgeable on the subject. The weeds are sunflowers and

Whatever this is. Tried to look it up online and in my books, couldn't find it. I'm in northern Colorado.

Anyway, he wanted me to use a soil sterilant and just be done with it (it's about a 1 acre flat gravel lot with clay soil, no trees or water around). I don't feel real comfortable with the soil sterilant so I was thinking of doing a pre-emerge in the late winter, and then put two application of Roundup Promax down later in the season when needed.

What are your opinions? What would be a good pre-em to use in this situation?

Very much appreciate any help.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Prodiamine or pramitol.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-25-2012, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Simazine will work to at the high rate.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-25-2012, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGaPineStraw View Post
Simazine will work to at the high rate.
Posted via Mobile Device
Don't think the residual would be long enough.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-25-2012, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Why is everyone scared of sterilant? Hire me to do it...I'll create a specialty service out of it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-25-2012, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm not scared, just don't know enough about it. I think the plant is Kochia, by the way.

More suggestions please!
Old 10-25-2012, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeson86 View Post
I'm not scared, just don't know enough about it. I think the plant is Kochia, by the way.

More suggestions please!
Keep a 3ft buffer around non target vegetation. I've sprayed pramitol on hills/slopes with a 1-2' buffer and had zero issues. I spray prodiamine in the buffer zone.

If its a flat gravel parking area you have little to worry about, pramitol/diesel fuel/roundup and spray away.

I just bid two properties that sell and manufacture fences, they store the steel and fencing in the gravel lot. They have been battling weeds and are tired of paying someone to string trim them several times per season. These two gravel lots are about 5 acres total.

Depending on the amount of rainfall your area receives per year you are looking at around $240 per acre in materials cost for sterilization using pramitol.

I ain't skeerd'...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-25-2012, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Primotal does work very well. When I was a salesman at a local at coop we sold it to the railroad guys. They would use the granular and spread along the tracks. They claimed to get 2-3 years of decent control.

Obviously spraying would be more accurate. I don't have many areas of need for this. Although I do have a few mowing accounts with peagravel drives.....can seem to spray enough gly to keep the weeds down. I may try to spray it with my simazine mix in the next few weeks and then again with pre rounds in spring.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-25-2012, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I get good control, but I still have weeds that will sprout in the mulch layer (Pinestraw). I am certain this chemical works better on gravel lots and bare ground.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-26-2012, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If your in Northern Colorado I would think this late in the season just clean the lot mechanically. I'd be surprised if you see much more weed germination this late in the season. Next spring prior to weeds popping apply Mojave Herbicide at a rate of 15 lbs to the acre. You could tank mix with glysophate if you have some early germination. I would recommend adding a tracker dye to the mix when spraying sterilants.

The Arena, the Field of Battle, the site where the fight actually takes place is our own heart and all of our Inner Man. The time of Battle is our whole life.

Tags
parking lot weed control , soil sterilant