Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-24-2003, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Member

used city truck

I am looking to expand this year and need another truck.
I found a 92 CHEVY 1 TON dump body with 65000 miles.
i think it's 6.2
Its got the cable control western plow motor but no plow.
The bed is power up and down.
The dealer is asking 9,500

If i can get it for 7000 would it be worth it????
Old 01-24-2003, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I would be careful about buying that ex city truck. Most places I have lived, the city only disposes of a vehicle when it is worn out, or it has a major problem that will cost more to fix than the truck is worth. It is very rare for a city agency to dispose of a truck before it is about worn out. I would find out what city owned it, then go talk to that city's fleet manager or head mechanic about the condition of the truck, and why they got rid of it.
I have owned several that I got at city auctions, but always talked to the city personnel who were familiar with the trucks before bidding.
Old 01-24-2003, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Mowingman is right most city trucks have the snot driven out of them the employees don't care its not their truck and when the trucks start costing alot of money to fix the city flogs them off. Sure they clean them up good and keep things painted but thats only skin deep it probably needs a complete rebuild and the 6.2 is on its last legs. A friend of mines dad works for the highways dept and he says you would be nuts to buy a gov't vehical they are not treated very well.
Old 01-24-2003, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Member

I think I have to disagree. In my experience I've had extremely good luck with municipal equipment. To be honest I haven't bought anything used lately, but when I started out most of my trucks and equipment were either from the city of Toronto or MTO (ministry of transportation of ontario). Maybe it's because of the size of the city and their concerns of liability but they tended to be in really good shape mechanically (it was the physical shape that sometimes suffered), lots of the time there were new parts on them. These were all purchased at auction and on the list it would usually state the mileage, the year and if there were any major concerns (requires engine replacement etc.) In all my experiences there were usually viewing dates and there were municipal employees with the keys so you could start them, move them back & forth, try any accessories etc. I'd take a mechanic buddy and we'd check out the equipment, usually just cost me wings and beer.
I think, like any major purchase it's buyer beware, but I would have no hesitation as long as the price is right!! (the most important part, if you get it cheap enough you can always put a little money into it.)
and Property Maintenance both
residential and commercial"