Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-25-2012, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Rolling the lawn, 6000 lb

Question to see if any one has ever done this. Have one large acreage lawn that has about a two acre area that is extremley bumpy. Almost like waves and small dips. I roll the lawn in the spring with a 1,000 roller behind an atv. Takes the frost heave down but really doesnt do anything for the wavy area. Was thinking about renting a 6,000 roller, then areating. Anyone ever do this before with such a heavy roller.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztman View Post
Question to see if any one has ever done this. Have one large acreage lawn that has about a two acre area that is extremley bumpy. Almost like waves and small dips. I roll the lawn in the spring with a 1,000 roller behind an atv. Takes the frost heave down but really doesnt do anything for the wavy area. Was thinking about renting a 6,000 roller, then areating. Anyone ever do this before with such a heavy roller.
The problem is that you will end up compacting the soil.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-25-2012, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would aerate after rolling. Think it would still be too compacted after aerating?
Old 10-26-2012, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

6000 lbs, holy crap batman are you going to lay down a coat of asphalt!
Old 10-26-2012, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

A better long term solution is to aerate the crap out of it, then follow up with a drag mat. May take a few years. When dragging you will pull the lose soil off of the high spots and deposit it in the low ones. Definitely wont happen all at once but it does work over time.

As far as the frost heaves, they generally go down by themselves, no?
Old 10-26-2012, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I use to live on a farm and the owner would use a 10ft and and over 10,000lbs roller to our lawn when he did his hay fields. It made it smooth ill tell you what.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=MOW ED;4565810]6000 lbs, holy crap batman are you going to lay down a coat of asphalt![/QUOT

Wouldnt have any thing to cut if I did the asphalt. Figured the roller would take care of the bumps, I was just worried about compacting the soil too much, and was interested on comments as to whether aerating afterward would be good enough so as not to have an adverse effect on grass
Old 10-26-2012, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztman View Post
I was just worried about compacting the soil too much, and was interested on comments as to whether aerating afterward would be good enough so as not to have an adverse effect on grass
Nope, aerating won't do enough.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

OK Batman I will comment. I don't know what type of soil you have but I have heavy clay. The type that dries out in the summer and cracks of 1" open in it. Conversely when it is wet it conforms well and there are people here who do have small rollers go over their lawn. The problem comes when it is too wet adn it is compacted or flattened too much. The root zone is the top 3" or so and rolling it will definately flatten it but it will compact it too. Can you overcome this with aeration? That depends on your soil and the time of year you are aerating. Aeration should be done when the lawn is actively growing to get the benefit. 3/4" cores are the standard here and it does work well if you do multiple pass aeration. If I were you I would experiment. Do a 50 x 50 section with the big roller and see what happens. Do another 50 x 50 section and aerate the hell out of it. There are many variables like soil condition, fertilization, watering and overall turf health that also should be considered.
I would give it a try in small doses.

Better than laying asphalt on it now isn't it Batman!
Old 10-26-2012, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOW ED View Post
OK Batman I will comment. I don't know what type of soil you have but I have heavy clay. The type that dries out in the summer and cracks of 1" open in it. Conversely when it is wet it conforms well and there are people here who do have small rollers go over their lawn. The problem comes when it is too wet adn it is compacted or flattened too much. The root zone is the top 3" or so and rolling it will definately flatten it but it will compact it too. Can you overcome this with aeration? That depends on your soil and the time of year you are aerating. Aeration should be done when the lawn is actively growing to get the benefit. 3/4" cores are the standard here and it does work well if you do multiple pass aeration. If I were you I would experiment. Do a 50 x 50 section with the big roller and see what happens. Do another 50 x 50 section and aerate the hell out of it. There are many variables like soil condition, fertilization, watering and overall turf health that also should be considered.
I would give it a try in small doses.

Better than laying asphalt on it now isn't it Batman!
10-4 Mow Ed. Thanks for the input, never like the smell of asphalt anyway