Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-26-2012, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Replace at no charge?

I planted a shrub at a customerís house in front of the foundation. It's a B&B piece of material. It's been in the hole for 9 days total now. I get an email from the customer yesterday asking to check it out when I come to cut yesterday. When I get there the entire inside of the tree is bright yellow, lots of foliage dropped.

I don't even kneel down yet and can tell visually that the ground is soaked! I put my hand on top of the area around the root ball and SQUISH! is the sound I hear. Obviously over watered. There is irrigation in this bed so when I planted I purposely planted it high. Not good enough obviously.

The customer is going to have the irrigation company take out that head and I told her letís wait and see if it can dry out and rebound. My gut tells me it's already too late but I could be wrong. When I finished I told the lady to water it about 1-2 times a week depending on rainfall. I think because she had irrigation that it got watered 4-5 times a week.

I am a solo operator not a big company. Would you replace this at no charge? I'm thinking since its so new that would be the good thing to do but I don't want to just "give it away" you know? If the general consensus is that's the right thing to do then I have no problem with that.

I guess if this was planted in June or something and she never watered and then it died I might feel different. Seems maybe that over watering was too much of a good thing rather than just plain negligence like not watering at all would be.

I'm attaching some pics. Now that I look at the pics it doesn't look bad, but in person I think it looks worse.

What do you think?
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2012, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds overwatered to me. I had the same thing happen to a customer of mine, backed off the water and it popped back.

Customer said to me "I didn't think you could water too much" dumb...

Replace at no charge, nope. Not your fault. We ain't Home Depot. If you have a baby and bring it home and either don't feed it or over feed it, do you blame the doctor for the baby's health?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-26-2012, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
Sounds overwatered to me. I had the same thing happen to a customer of mine, backed off the water and it popped back.

Customer said to me "I didn't think you could water too much" dumb...

Replace at no charge, nope. Not your fault. We ain't Home Depot. If you have a baby and bring it home and either don't feed it or over feed it, do you blame the doctor for the baby's health?
Posted via Mobile Device
Understood.

Get this, where I planted this was at the end of the bed in an open area next to other shrubs. After this was reported I was told that "nothing seems to grow there." Before I had this property as a customer the person said they had 2 different shrubs there and they both didn't do well and died. Hmm, I think I got my answer now.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The shrub I was replacing "just died" she said, I said there is a reason. I warned her that a new shrub may die as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-26-2012, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

anyone else have a take on this or experienced this yourself?
Old 10-26-2012, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If it dies and you want to keep the customer then Split it wih her. The hole is already dug
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-26-2012, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

He warned her it might die again. I will only warranty plants and sod I can control everything on. Yes that level of aftercare costs more. If they fail to retain us the warranty expires when I step off the property.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-26-2012, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Arborvitae are know to have the insides turn yellow and fall off in fall. Just clean them out with your hands and let it alone.

It should be fine if not over watered. They also don't like to go dry for long periods when in the first year.

Proper watering and wait and see....that is what I would do.

One more thing. Ric taught me this. If a plant drops its leaves it usually means its going to recover. Not always but that does seem to be the case.

I had an Arborvitae die because I overwatered it and the whole thing turned brown in a week or so and nothing dropped off of it. It was my fault but we were having 100 degree weather...hottest on Ga record at the time. So I was nervous and over watered.

Dave...

Last edited by coolluv; 10-26-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:02 PM
Sponsor

The Ph of the soil may also be working against you as well. When you planted the material did you notice any concert droppings?. If the Ph is incorrect in the first place the material is doomed.
easy-lift guy
Old 10-26-2012, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

See video.

Dave...