Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-26-2012, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like the Appalachian is made with an angle frame I would want channel carrying that much weight also comes withe bias tires. Buying a trailer is just like a truck now a days you gotta really look into the components it's crazy how different the different brands are
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-26-2012, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sure of the law but it says:
Any combination of vehicles with a combined gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the gross vehicle weight rating of the vehicle or vehicles being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds;

Any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle having a gross vehicle weight rating that is not in excess of 10,000 pounds;

Even if I'm not towing 10,000, although the trailer states that it can does that mean i need a cdl?
26in Exmark Metro
Honda Push Mowers
Stihl Trimmers
BR-600 Blowers

O-H-...
Not my President
Old 10-26-2012, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That is the way I understand it 10,000 gvw trailer with 10,500 on it your over weight 10,001 gvw empty your out if class need a cdl
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-27-2012, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

18ft for sure. I have a 18ft enclosed and when i had a "36in walk behind, a 48"in walk behind and a "48 rider, it was perfect and left about a foot on the end. I now have a "36 and a "60in walk-behind and a "60 rider and they only fit if i put the walk behinds in the front and the rider on the rear. If it switch it up, i cant get the door closed.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat 320D LRR View Post
I am upgrading to an enclosed next year and going with an 18ft which will fit my 48in turf tracer and 2 scag tiger cats.
Hey keep in mind you can get an enclosed 16ftr and this will work for you also. All you have to do is move the rear bumper forward on the tiger cats to get them in.

I have your exact setup, 48" metro with 2 scag 61" tiger cats. And yes your can move the pumpers forward. I went from not being able to even get close to closing the gate to having about an inch and a half between rear bumper and closed gate.

That is with exmark pulled straight to front, then the 2 scags piggy backed behing the exmark. Fits perfect and no need to strap stuff because it fits so snug.

The way to move the bumpers is to take the rear plate (saids scag) off first. Then each arm that connects to frame down my wheel motors with bolts can be moved forward approx 3" or so. There are already holes there. Move each side then attach rear plate back on last. The only thing you will have to do is leave the middle bottom bolt out on the rear bumper because the bolt will hit the muffler.

It doesnt look possible but trust me it is.

Also, you would be surprised how much room you can get out of tweaking the foot place on them with a BFH (big freakin hammer) because that is what the rear scag touches first when piggy backing to the other tiger cat....
Old 10-29-2012, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah it's also funny to see how other people configure their trailers. I also thought about having a dump from the seat bagger and then backing it all the way and having it over hang on the front
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-29-2012, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones68 View Post
I haven't looked at that brand much to know the specs of the frame cross members and such. I know that here if you have a trailer with a gvw of over 10,001 lbs you need a CDL
Posted via Mobile Device
No you don't.

Look it up again and read it this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones68 View Post
That is the way I understand it 10,000 gvw trailer with 10,500 on it your over weight 10,001 gvw empty your out if class need a cdl
Posted via Mobile Device
Do you understand the difference between GVW and GVWR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes I should have specified gvwR I apologize to you
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-29-2012, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As per the md handbook
"For the purposes of the CDL requirement in Maryland, a "commercial motor vehicle" (CMV) means:
1. A motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more;
2. A combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 pounds or more if the GVWR of the vehicle being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds"

Gvwr of vehicle being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds
Posted via Mobile Device