Register free!

Old 10-27-2012, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

TTTF Renovation

I sprayed herbicide on a customers yard and did a complete over kill and went back 18 days later and core aerated heavily and reseeded. The lady did not want to pay for the fertilizer at the time. Well it has been 4 weeks from today that I aerated and reseeded... She has called and wants fertilizer because the grass has come up but just is not growing much larger than 2 inches.

Is fertilizer the only problem? If so, should a use my Lesco and spray fertilizer on or use granular?
Old 10-28-2012, 01:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have never seeded anything but small repairs without fertilizing. I would go ahead and put a granualar starter down.

I also think it's pretty hard to establish a new lawn with just aerating. Love that baby doll hair look! lol
Old 10-28-2012, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have done a few here just as you decribed...it may be the temps are just not getting warm enough in VA? some of mine are slow growing because of cooler weather..but the customers asked we do it anyway,
Steve
PS...assumed you used good quality seed?
Old 10-28-2012, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've had seed pop up in early Oct. for years and years, and it seldom if ever gets above 2" b4 the season is done... I'll bet the new grasses are just as green as they can be, but they'll not put on top growth as they prepare for winter... plants are designed to conserve and prepare for stressful times...
Old 10-28-2012, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Roundup/Aerate and seed with TTTF?

Thats not the type of turf seed you want to use on an aeration and over seed after roundup. Honestly I wouldn't aerate and overseed with TTTF on an existing lawn unless it was already 80-90% TTTF much less a roundup and re seed.

TTTF does not spread and fill in like other varieties and needs to be applied very evenly and at a big rate...like 10lbs per thousand. There is a bit of non invasive blue in your mix presumably but still.

To answer your question, which fertilizer method you use matters not. Whats in the blend, does.

That being said. Hit it with starter fert now and make the next app high N.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Member

First off aeration and overseed works fine with TTTF but make sure your going over the lawn at least 3-4 times. This year I did the same plus went back over it with the power seeder, their looking good. The last yard I did was first of Oct took right at 20 days to germination. Never again will I seed into Oct. for 2 years its been nail biting waiting for it to germinate.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-29-2012, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've got a yard going in tomorow, at the customers request, we did a full kill off and brought in a harley rake, then laid in annual rye for the winter then late feb or early march the seed will go in, she hasn't decided what she wants in there yet.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshuakwhit View Post
First off aeration and overseed works fine with TTTF but make sure your going over the lawn at least 3-4 times. This year I did the same plus went back over it with the power seeder, their looking good. The last yard I did was first of Oct took right at 20 days to germination. Never again will I seed into Oct. for 2 years its been nail biting waiting for it to germinate.
Posted via Mobile Device

quadruple aeration? Well, yeah.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadzilla View Post
quadruple aeration? Well, yeah.
What were you speaking of. Just going over the lawn once. I charge 45 per k I give the customer what he pays for.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-30-2012, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshuakwhit View Post
What were you speaking of. Just going over the lawn once. I charge 45 per k I give the customer what he pays for.
Posted via Mobile Device

Standard aeration and over seeding as discussed in this thread does not mean quadruple aeration and or the addition of a slit seeder.

If you are charging 45 per thousand for all that you can seed all my lawns and I'll go to the Caribbean.

I charge three times that.