Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-27-2012, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Knockout Rose Fertilize- Austin

I know that I can get good results with Bayer 3 in 1 but it cost $30 per gallon. I know that something is being used on some roses because they are in commericial and they look really good. The big companies are not going to do monthly fertrilize on them or in fact even little companies.

This is an example of Bayer on Belendia dream roses. And you can see how it affects Lantana.
Attached Images

Old 10-27-2012, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Knock Out roses are basically bug and mildew resistant, I would thing cheap 10 10 10 would get them growing just fine. They grow great here in Bama with almost no care, while most roses wont, even with a lot of care.
The roses in your pics looks like they could use some iron.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This is one of our beds with roses from 2 years ago.
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2012, 08:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Ive always used rosetone
Old 10-28-2012, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Try Eagle 6 for your fertilizer. Cost of 2.5 gallons of product cost roughly $26 or so- http://plantfoodsystems.com/wp-conte...e-6-8.5x11.pdf . Feed regularly with this product as roses are heavy feeders if given the chance. This product will give you just enough N and K but also ensure your micros are addressed IMHO. I have been using this as the primary feeding source for the roses we care for along with a quarterly feeding of Lesco's 13-3-13 palm and ornamental which also follows up a good selection of Micro feeding for a granular.

Follow up with a basic spray of imidacloprid routinely - this is the same pesticide being used in your Beyer 3 n 1 if I recall correctly. As a back up - Safari - good product and the president of the local rose club highly recommends it. Imidacloprid combined with acephate /or bifen I have not experienced a pest issue yet on the rose gardens that we care for yet and have avoided the higher cost safari.

Fungicide - honestly it will depend what you are fighting at the time. Powdery mildew - I suggest Cupro and Eagle 20 EW rotation I have good luck with them - Blackspot - Pentathlon DF , Hertiage and Junction is another one which I have found useful to have on hand for a variety of Downy mildew issues and has performed well on the roses as well..

Hope that helps

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 10-29-2012, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
Try Eagle 6 for your fertilizer. Cost of 2.5 gallons of product cost roughly $26 or so- http://plantfoodsystems.com/wp-conte...e-6-8.5x11.pdf . Feed regularly with this product as roses are heavy feeders if given the chance. This product will give you just enough N and K but also ensure your micros are addressed IMHO. I have been using this as the primary feeding source for the roses we care for along with a quarterly feeding of Lesco's 13-3-13 palm and ornamental which also follows up a good selection of Micro feeding for a granular.

Follow up with a basic spray of imidacloprid routinely - this is the same pesticide being used in your Beyer 3 n 1 if I recall correctly. As a back up - Safari - good product and the president of the local rose club highly recommends it. Imidacloprid combined with acephate /or bifen I have not experienced a pest issue yet on the rose gardens that we care for yet and have avoided the higher cost safari.

Fungicide - honestly it will depend what you are fighting at the time. Powdery mildew - I suggest Cupro and Eagle 20 EW rotation I have good luck with them - Blackspot - Pentathlon DF , Hertiage and Junction is another one which I have found useful to have on hand for a variety of Downy mildew issues and has performed well on the roses as well..

Hope that helps
The Bayer fetilize mix is apparently perfect since the result are good I only need cheaper product source. Not enough fertilzie in that one mix and the palm stuff is expensive.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
The Bayer fetilize mix is apparently perfect since the result are good I only need cheaper product source.
Let me know if you find it. I agree it is a good product but at what cost? It is a product that I have no issue recommending to a home owner looking to feed their roses.

Quote:
Not enough fertilzie in that one mix and the palm stuff is expensive.
The Eagle 6 not enough fertilizer? You understand there is more to fertilizer than NPK right? That is a good micro package with enough N and K to feed inbetween granular feedings assuming regular feedings. Do not underestimate the roll of complete fertilization in the health of any plant.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 10-30-2012, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
Let me know if you find it. I agree it is a good product but at what cost? It is a product that I have no issue recommending to a home owner looking to feed their roses.

The Eagle 6 not enough fertilizer? You understand there is more to fertilizer than NPK right? That is a good micro package with enough N and K to feed inbetween granular feedings assuming regular feedings. Do not underestimate the roll of complete fertilization in the health of any plant.
ok i will try it. I was looking for info and you gave it so I need to shut up and try it. I got plenty of place to do compariisons. Knowing little about soil I was concerned about salt build up in area where I am using heavy Bayer. I was looking at using Medina at least once a year to add to soil life. By the way I had soil test done on the best and worst beds and could not find anybody that could interpet the results and make recommendations. The problem was they wanted to talk about adding stuff to the soil that I didn't know how to get.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
ok i will try it. I was looking for info and you gave it so I need to shut up and try it. I got plenty of place to do compariisons. Knowing little about soil I was concerned about salt build up in area where I am using heavy Bayer. I was looking at using Medina at least once a year to add to soil life. By the way I had soil test done on the best and worst beds and could not find anybody that could interpet the results and make recommendations. The problem was they wanted to talk about adding stuff to the soil that I didn't know how to get.
Look at what I laid out for you and I have a feeling you will find it is much much cheaper per thousand than the Beyer program.
Anything you would be adding to the soil...not sure what you would be trying to add in the way of macro or micro nutrients as what I laid out for you addresses all the major nutrients at a cheaper cost to you with a better package IMHO.

The key to getting them pop - is spraying with the Eagle 6 every month of growth. Roses are heavy feeders and like to be feed almost all the time. The only thing you might be missing vs the beyer is the P as I think the beyer is heavy in P. If your soil is not lacking available P ..then you will not notice it..if you notice less blooms...look at getting palm fert with more P than what I suggested but I think if you feed with the Eagle monthly and granular every quarter or so with the palm fert you will be very pleased with the results.

I know a little about caring for roses, not everything but I have learned a great deal about what works for me here and thought I would share with you. Let me know how it goes for you.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Member

What do yall think of Super Bloom once a month? Not sure how that would stack up price wise.