Register free!

Old 10-27-2012, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Member

overseeding advice

Hello everyone. Today makes the 14th day since I had my lawn overseeded. I hired a pro to do the following:

1. Core aerate my lawn
2. Seed the lawn using Lesco transition seed (tall fescue)
3. Fertilize using Lesco 18-20-3 fertilizer

For the past 14 days, the lawn has been watered three days a day (every 8 hours) for 7 minutes. I am now seeing germination.

Here are my questions:

1. What should my watering schedule be now? I live in NC and the weather is staying warm during the day (upper 60s) but is getting colder at night.
2. When I mow, should I bag the clippings or mulch the grass?

Thanks for your help!
Old 10-27-2012, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Mulch will be fine. I would water once a day in the morning at this point and cooler temps. Maybe 20 minutes tops but check soil moisture levels and adjust.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-27-2012, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox gsl View Post
Mulch will be fine. I would water once a day in the morning at this point and cooler temps. Maybe 20 minutes tops but check soil moisture levels and adjust.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks knox gsl.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here is the results of using the weedwacker to scalp the dead bermuda, scratch the soil surface with steel rake, apply starter fert, overseed with Annual Ryegrass. Water three times daily first week...(no rain in Nor Cal yet). About four weeks of growth. Temps in 50s at night 70s in the day. Mowed twice already.
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2012, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise Yard Service View Post
Here is the results of using the weedwacker to scalp the dead bermuda, scratch the soil surface with steel rake, apply starter fert, overseed with Annual Ryegrass. Water three times daily first week...(no rain in Nor Cal yet). About four weeks of growth. Temps in 50s at night 70s in the day. Mowed twice already.
Thats some damn good results for that method.

Right on.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadzilla View Post
Thats some damn good results for that method.

Right on.
That is because it works (contrary to what a few here will say). I have had the same results for years, and again this year and can prove it, as I have stated more than once on this forum.

God created it to reproduce all without us preparing a "perfect seed bed". We just assist it with our better methods.

Aerating and over-seeding works. It is a fast, easy and cost effective way to improve a customers lawn.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I get the same results each year. Same method. I think I will go with the core machine next year just for giggles.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-12-2012, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox gsl View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
What he said is on target.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise Yard Service View Post
I get the same results each year. Same method. I think I will go with the core machine next year just for giggles.
Posted via Mobile Device
You may be surprised at the improvement in your already good practices. When you aerate with a rolling aerator you are doing much more than just pulling a core. As the tine moves front to rear in the ground it is fracturing and ripping the soil as it makes an "X" movement under the soil. This fracturing loosens up the soil so the new roots can move faster to find food... It also allows water and food to move to the root zone much easier and faster. So core away my friend and know you are doing good....
Old 11-12-2012, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfcobob View Post
You may be surprised at the improvement in your already good practices. When you aerate with a rolling aerator you are doing much more than just pulling a core. As the tine moves front to rear in the ground it is fracturing and ripping the soil as it makes an "X" movement under the soil. This fracturing loosens up the soil so the new roots can move faster to find food... It also allows water and food to move to the root zone much easier and faster. So core away my friend and know you are doing good....
Great point!