Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-28-2012, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Copper Fixture Issue

Just wondering...I recently installed Volt copper bullets on the roof of a house lighting some reverse gables. I actually just used them as a demo and plan on switching them when doing the install.

The question is, when I went to go see the demo all looked great except the bottom quarter which had a rust color light. When these fixtures patina will that go away? Never used all copper before so I was curious.

Thanks
Old 10-29-2012, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Member

My guess would be the reflection of the light against the copper interior of the shroud. This is probably more evident to you because the light is close to a surface which it is illuminating. In other words, you wouldn't see the orange tint to the light if it was uplighting a tree for example.

My only thought for you if no one sees the mouth of the fixture when it is lit is to get some tin flashing or some other durable and reflective material and make a cylinder that fits into the snout of the fixture, trim it to conform to the angle cut, and that should eliminate the orange glow.

You could also try taping off the lens with blue painters tape and hit the interior of that shroud with some gloss white spray paint. If you were going to do that, I'd say to use some 150-220 grit sand paper and paint.

Good Luck..

George
Old 11-01-2012, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLC RI View Post
My guess would be the reflection of the light against the copper interior of the shroud. This is probably more evident to you because the light is close to a surface which it is illuminating. In other words, you wouldn't see the orange tint to the light if it was uplighting a tree for example.

My only thought for you if no one sees the mouth of the fixture when it is lit is to get some tin flashing or some other durable and reflective material and make a cylinder that fits into the snout of the fixture, trim it to conform to the angle cut, and that should eliminate the orange glow.

You could also try taping off the lens with blue painters tape and hit the interior of that shroud with some gloss white spray paint. If you were going to do that, I'd say to use some 150-220 grit sand paper and paint.

Good Luck..

George
Sounds like a lot of extra work.

Nightscaping powder coats the interior of many copper fixtures or shrouds. Some guys like the stock glossy white, others order flat black to minimize reflection.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Member

We are landscape lighting professionals we always do a lot of extra work to make sure the job comes out just right.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-30-2012, 03:27 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainman7 View Post
Just wondering...I recently installed Volt copper bullets on the roof of a house lighting some reverse gables. I actually just used them as a demo and plan on switching them when doing the install.

The question is, when I went to go see the demo all looked great except the bottom quarter which had a rust color light. When these fixtures patina will that go away? Never used all copper before so I was curious.

Thanks
Just curious as to which fixture you are using? The Copper Directional or the Copper fat boy/ Top dog? I think with the top dog you could just adjust the shroud inward, but rather than doing all the work stated above, maybe use a bright lamp with a diffuser lens to take that color away?
Old 11-30-2012, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

No amount of re-lamping or using diffusers / lenses will take the copper colour reflection away. The best solution is what Gregg recommended. Order fixtures that can be powder coated white on the interior of the shroud. As a fix for this job, I would try removing the fixtures and applying a coat of white high heat enamel to the inside surface of the shroud.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA