Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-29-2012, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dareo View Post
I know you said you are not a dodge guy. But you owe it to yourself to drive a Cummins turbo diesel. If you can get a nice 2006 or 2007 with the 5.9 you will have all the power you want and get great MPG. Diesel may cost more per gallon but if you can get 14 mpg where a gas might get 10 mpg its huge.

Some of the dodge parts may break and need replacing but the Cummins makes it worth it. I wouldn't get a gas Ram as i believe the chevy/ford/tundra options to be better. Cummins 5.9 > all other engines. Just a shame Ford didn't get the contract instead of Dodge.
i've never thought of that, ford getting the cummins contract from the beginning...that would've been game over
Old 10-30-2012, 07:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

the duramax/powerstrokes are v8 diesel engines built for trucks. the cummins are industrial duty diesel engines adapted for use in trucks. Inline 6, built like tanks. only reason i bought a dodge, i'm a chevy guy at heart. I've always said that a ford body with a chevy interior, a cummins engine, and an allison transmission would be the ultimate bulletproof truck.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Plenty of people have an F250 or F350 with Cummins power. They had to make it themselves. www.fordcummins.com is one of the bigger companies selling adaptors. It's not cheap but if you have a 6.0 powerstroke engine that needs work or a rebuild you are talking big bucks either way. Those guys even sell adaptors to use the allison transmission if you want to get really sophisticated.

Nice winter project for those DIY mechanics out there.

The cummins 5.9 has powered much larger vehicles like school busses full of fat children. It is very overbuilt for anything in the 3/4 or 1 ton pickup range.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:30 AM
LawnSite Member

The only big issue your going to run into with Dodge is the transmission. The Cummins is by far one of the best diesel engines you can get. The problem is the tranny can't handle the power.

With that said, 2500HD Duramax is the way to go otherwise. Allison Transmission and plenty of power. I've got two in my fleet (Just purchased my second one for $16,800 today). We have alot of hills around here and it handles it like a boss. You would never know a trailer was even attached, and we pull a 16ft enclosed daily.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dareo View Post
Plenty of people have an F250 or F350 with Cummins power. They had to make it themselves. www.fordcummins.com is one of the bigger companies selling adaptors. It's not cheap but if you have a 6.0 powerstroke engine that needs work or a rebuild you are talking big bucks either way. Those guys even sell adaptors to use the allison transmission if you want to get really sophisticated.

Nice winter project for those DIY mechanics out there.

The cummins 5.9 has powered much larger vehicles like school busses full of fat children. It is very overbuilt for anything in the 3/4 or 1 ton pickup range.
Doesnt Ford use the 5.9 cummins in their F650's? And they also use the CAT engine.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-31-2012, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Yes, you can find medium duty fords with Cummins power. The contract only gave Dodge exclusivity for the light duty sector.

The dodge transmissions are not bad. They are not great, but you can get a good lifespan out of them and rebuilds are cheap.

The allison isn't un killable or anything. In fact, the guys that really go all out performance on a duramax swap in a built dodge trans.

At stock power the dodge is decent. Many people can get at least 100k out of it, sometimes 200k. If you want to run around with 500 hp 1000 lb torque you will need a strong trans build to the tune of about 5000+ but they can be built to hold up. The cool thing about a cummins/duramax is you can really decide how much HP you want and set it up that way. The bad rap on dodge trannies usually comes from people running a lot more than stock power with a stock trans and yeah that breaks them quick.

The only bad thing i can say about a Duramax, is people don't usually sell them for any kind of a good price. The duramax is only about 50% as reliable as a Cummins but the rest of the truck and trans make up for it. But it still a solid truck if you get around 2006.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've pulled with both motors but trucks were different configurations 06 Chevy ext cab short bed 4x2, 06 Ford ext cab long bed 4x4. Not one felt truly stronger than the other. I owned the Ford and borrowed the Chevy while my ford was getting new bedsides. Own a V10 now and notice very minimal difference in mpg but much more towing power. Only reason I sold the 5.4 truck was because it was turning into a rot box. I think you can get a better price too.

The 5.4 was a fine truck and towed what I needed it to. Would I buy one again? Sure.

I also invested in a dually. Wow, much more stable towing platform when my 14k dump trailer is fully loaded!

Last edited by MDLawn; 10-31-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell36
i've never thought of that, ford getting the cummins contract from the beginning...that would've been game over
This is getting off-topic, but it wasn't as though Ford tried to get a Cummins "contract" when the Dodge first came out with the Cummins. Ford has used an International-sourced commercial diesel (the 6.9, later 7.3 IDI) for years and was the king of the hill in pickup diesels at the time. GM had the Detroit Diesel sourced 6.2 which evolved into the 6.5 turbo. Ford and GM also had strong big-block gas engines to offer.

Dodge has basically nothing to compete with Ford and GM at the time. Their biggest engine offering in a HD pickup in the late 80s was the old 360 small block, which was a durable engine but a gutless turd compared to the Ford and GM big blocks. Teaming up with Cummins IMO was a brilliant move that saved Dodge HD pickups from extinction. Dodge did offer the V10 in later years which they say was discontinued due to emissions, but I suspect the V10 was cutting into the more profitable Cummins sales. Diesel guys don't like to admit this, but even though the 8.0 V10 was a horrible gas guzzler, when it came out in 1994 it would kick the living snot out of the stock Cummins in performance. Ok, end of history lesson.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ohhhhh god the the diesel debate. I have 3 6.0 chevys, common problems: front wheel bearing, exhaust manifold bolts snapping off.

I also have an 2005 duramax: Injectors, head gaskets, fuel pressure regulator, and other small items.

I could have bought another 6.0 with the money put into durmax

The 6.0 have good power, and are very reliable
Old 11-02-2012, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Member

The 08 5.4 didn't have the two piece spark plugs which liked to go ker-snappity when you remove them. That (power?)stroke of engineering genius is, to the best of my knowledge, in the 2003-2006.5 5.4. I snapped 5 when changing mine, just make sure you have the extraction tool on hand before you start this project. If you're careful, you won't have to pull the head. I think the question I'd be asking myself is if I want a solid front axle or IFS. Which will work better for my application, etc.

Sometimes it is best to stick with the evil you know. I'd also try shopping around a bit, you should be able to find a 5.4 F-250 for way less than that!