Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 08-08-2012, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Hustler Super Z wheel motor problem

This has probably been brought up in previous threads, maybe a few years ago. I did not go back that far though. So if I missed it, sorry.

Back in 07 I got rid of all my exmarks and switched to Hustler. Wanted to try something else. Was financially able to do so and the dealer who had been an Exmark dealer switched to Hustler.

So I purchased 2 Hustler Z's and 3 Super Z's in March and April of 07. I no it was a few years ago. But with 5 mowers and selling off the Exmarks I did not put a bunch of hours on the Hustlers right away.
I also bought 2 scag turf tigers Sept of 09.

Never had any problems with the Z's. So far.

Fast forward to Sept 2011. Wheel Motor goes out of super z 1 at about 1200 hours. I thought something funny was going on with it and finally figured it out..
Then Hydro goes out of number 2 super z with about 900 hours in October
We replace hydro in super z 2 this spring and go on.
In April Super Z 3 loses wheel motor at about 1200 hours.
In June number 2 wheel motor goes out at 941 hours.
Hustler super z's have wheel motors out of 3 machines now.
2 of them are sequential serial numbers and all machines had less that 1300 hours on them.

Anyone else had problems like this. Maybe my hours being low are making my problems show up later. I do not know. But Hustler has been no help.
As of today I would not recommend a Hustler to anyone as I have been in contact with them and not gotten anywhere.

Should I have gotten anywhere? I do not know. Would like to have gotten some help. MAybe I do not deserve it. Anyone else with any help on this?

In the process went and bought 2 more Scags this spring and the Hustlers continue to sit.

I ran one of my first exmarks to 4400 hours that I bought in June 1996 and sold it to a guy this spring and he is using it to mow his lawn. Had to change 1 hydro in that thing at 3100 hours.
My other exmark I bought in August 2005 and ran it till 3200 hours with no problems and sold it to a guy in June 2007 and he still mows his lawn today with it.
I have had other Exmarks over the past years with no issues of hydros and wheel motors.
Exmark always was good to me even though Paul Juergens and I went round and round sometimes.

I treat my mowers well and they last a long time for me.

Guess I am just very frustrated with Hustler based on a problem that 2 of the mowers are sequential and all are Super Z's bought at the same time and I guess Hustler does not care.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I dont think it's that hustler doesnt care.... You should try posting in the Hustler section of this site. PJ is always quick with responses to problems.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Member

They sure act as though they dont.

I looked but did not see the Hustler section at first. But now I found it.
I can copy this over there or moderators can move it.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have had Hustlers for some time now. Don't see the motors having many problems. Out of the 12 I have, I had only replaced one wheel motor on a Super Mini Z (over 2000hrs).

It maybe you have a bad batch but, the way I see it, it is your dealer's responsibility to pursue it with Hustler. He is selling it and should goto bat for you. I am sure if there is a problem with a batch of mowers, Hustler would know about it and resolve the problem.

Talk to your dealer and remind him how much business you gave him.
Good Luck
Old 08-09-2012, 01:51 AM
LawnSite Member

The dealer I purchased them from is no longer there. So really do not have a dealer to speak of.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I remember hearing that hustler had changed hydro settup a few years ago due to issues with mowers that spent a lot of time on hills. Apparently hill mowing was killing pumps and wheel motors.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp669 View Post
The dealer I purchased them from is no longer there. So really do not have a dealer to speak of.
Dam, you have no luck. Perhaps the next closest dealer can help you. You should try something. No reason to have the mowers just sitting bcause of a wheel motor.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Member

TAlked with that dealer.
Gave the district mans number who referred me to Hustler. Got no where there.
This would not be such a big deal if I had one and it went out.
But I have 3. 2 of them are sisters. 3 wheel motors went out on 3 mowers and there is not a problem with them.
Cant even get a reply from the Hustler consultant on here.
Never again and wont send anyone Hustlers way with the great service after.
And I do mow a lot of hills with these mowers.

But one would think they would recognize this and those with problems even after warranty expiration would help them out.

I still get recalls on my mid 90's f350's.
I told Chevy about my faulty dash and speedometer. they said nothing yet was a problem. But a year and a half later got a letter stating they had a problem with them and here is the slip if you all ready repaired it to get reimbursed.

My exmarks even got taken care of out of warranty.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

What you have spoken of is a common problem, one you will never see with the new Hyper Drive system. I had to replace both pumps and wheel motors at 1100 hrs.; this seems, for the most part, to be their life expectancy. The larger pumps and wheel motors that produce the additional speed just want hold up, but if it is any consolation, I have all ideas you have cut much more grass in the hours you listed, than you with a slower machine.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Shoot, this is all too real for me
I got an 07 with 4800 hours on it and I've gone through several hydro pumps and motors. Every year atleast one side loses a wheel motor when the hub bolt snaps and the wheel falls off. Hydo pumps don't last much longer :-(
Posted via Mobile Device