Register free!

Old 10-31-2012, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sandy's impact on Ponds

This is more of a request than a discussion. With the expected impact of Hurricane Sandy aka 'Frankenstorm' many ponds will be adversely affected.

Over the past few years, I have been compiling data as to how these tropical and extra-tropical cyclones affect the general health of pond fish, most notably Koi. There is a chance that some of the members of this group reside and service an area that will feel the impact of this particular storm, to a lesser or greater degree. I would appreciate receiving ANY data, no matter how trivial it may seem, on the observed effects, including any behavioral changes in the fish. If fish mortality is observed, I would appreciate such details as size and depth of pond and size of deceased fish. If any Water Tests are performed, the results of these tests would be of enormous value.
I know that this may be overstepping and asking a lot, but the results of this research may provide crucial information for future use. You may post here as a comment or by private message.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Tadpole, I experienced a few variables because of Sandy.....first the extreme winds blew a lot of water out of the pond. The level went down about 4" and the pond is 16 X 12.

Then we got rain, rain, rain in fact it overflowed the edges.
But after all the wind & rain, the pond leveled out and the fish were fine. They ate as normal and we didn't lose one.

Mind you, these are not "koi" but gold fish that I bought 3 years ago. They have grow from 1" to over 8" and look like koi to everybody that comes buy to look.....LOL
Old 11-05-2012, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the input. Did you refill the pond yourself or did you allow the rain to?
Even though you have Goldfish, the info is helpful.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Member

A bit of both...the rain filled about 25% and I did the rest via the garden hose. I also used a de-tox to help remove chlorine etc..