Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-01-2012, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
I was being conservative.

your guys are slow haha I could do it in 60 seconds or less with 2 straps.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Get the Ventrac. It WILL NOT tear turf when turning and more then likely will not rut on softer turf (if you opt for the dual tires) like a mini would. I don't own one so my advice could be taken with a grain of salt. However, I've done a ton of research on the Ventrac and if I could afford it, I'd own one and a large assortment of attachments. They are very solid machines and very well built. I think a mini is more limited to specific jobs and isn't a versatile as the Ventrac.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you are just schlepping mulch and edging spoils across lawns--by all means get the ventrac, but we landscape with our mini and I know the ventrac couldnt keep up. I have a 31HP turbo diesel Ditch Witch SK650 that I didnt even pay close to what you estimated in your previous post. Not all mini's are created equal and the ditch Witch and vermeer lead the pack. Can't wait to try out the new SK755
Old 11-01-2012, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDLandscapes VT View Post
Not all mini's are created equal and the ditch Witch and vermeer lead the pack. Can't wait to try out the new SK755
Unfortunately a Dingo isn't even in the same category as the Vermeer or Ditch Witch.

I got to try the S800TX from Vermeer. Nice unit for sure. Little on the big side though.

The S650TX is a great step up from my S600TX with the extra pump and more power. But I'm waiting till Vermeer Redesigns the S650 with the triangle track setup where the sprocket is out of the dirt before I ever upgrade. Too bad they've done it with the S450TX and The S800TX.

I also wish that DW had a dealer closer to me. There's one in Springfield which is an hour drive and the Vermeer dealer is only 15 minutes away. If I ever have issues with my machine, it's a quick trip to the shop.

The Ventrac has it's place, and if it fits in your business model, then go for it. It just doesn't fit in ours.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDLandscapes VT View Post
If you are just schlepping mulch and edging spoils across lawns--by all means get the ventrac, but we landscape with our mini and I know the ventrac couldnt keep up. I have a 31HP turbo diesel Ditch Witch SK650 that I didnt even pay close to what you estimated in your previous post. Not all mini's are created equal and the ditch Witch and vermeer lead the pack. Can't wait to try out the new SK755
How much is the ditch which? I can't find a msrp on it. I know the vermeer made me about go into shock.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-01-2012, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

well I m not sure now since they just released updated Sk750 and Sk755 machines

but the Sk650 was MSRP at $20Kish and they had a special for $19,400
Old 11-01-2012, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
How much is the ditch which? I can't find a msrp on it. I know the vermeer made me about go into shock.
Posted via Mobile Device
Talk to the Vermeer dealer and see about a used rental unit. Usually they get up to 400 hours and then they sell them off for half the price of new.

That's how I got mine and couldn't be happier. Had to do some small repairs, but when you save close to 10k over new, then that's a great tradeoff.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
One of the reasons they are so expensive is because they say that it takes the place of 1-1.5 laborers.

My mini shows up for work on time, doesn't complain, and does everything I ask of it.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I wish I had one right now. Unloading 10yrds of leaves mulched into a fine dust is not fun off a trailer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-01-2012, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I wish I had one right now. Unloading 10yrds of leaves mulched into a fine dust is not fun off a trailer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Put a good canvas tarp down first. Find a post or a tree and tie the tarp to it, then pull away.

That or tie it to a mini skid and pull.