Register free!

Old 11-17-2012, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I go until it's misting. I typically wait when it's still spuddering water every 2 seconds until maybe every 4-5 second spudder. Depending on the design of the zone sometimes you could blow that thing for 10 min and still not get all the water out ( Not that i've done this ) Water could easily collect at a low spot and break things.. Particularly on sams, it's a shame to replace a 12" sam from freeze damage after it was winterized.

The biggest thing is.. It's not worth the argument or the huge verbal description to the customer when they are outside with me when I can just wait an extra 30 seconds. The customer doesn't know but if they see the water and I say it's done when it is they may or may not believe me. Then I have to explain my self which can be annoying. Id rather BS with the customer building a CR rather then giving them a possibility of worrying that i'm not doing the job correctly. Most of the time it's not a big deal, everyonce in a while you get someone who will not believe the water is out no matter what. For them I say Stick you hand right here!

A lot of times I will go back through each zone for a few seconds.. I firmly believe water gets pushed back and forth throughout the system main line while switching zones and as well when the zone stops water that wasn't blown out will collect at a low spot that will get blown out. Again this is still all within a typical 1-3 min run time per zone

Last edited by mitchgo; 11-17-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Must have been one of my first blow-outs, with too much air at the compresor, I hit the remote and launched a Toro 12" Stream Rotor to the moon, missing my Kirk Douglas chin by inches.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchgo View Post
I go until it's misting. I typically wait when it's still spuddering water every 2 seconds until maybe every 4-5 second spudder. Water could easily collect at a low spot and break things.. Particularly on sams, it's a shame to replace a 12" sam from freeze damage after it was winterized.

The biggest thing is.. It's not worth the argument or the huge verbal description to the customer when they are outside with me when I can just wait an extra 30 seconds. The customer doesn't know but if they see the water and I say it's done when it is they may or may not believe me. Then I have to explain my self which can be annoying
I always find it annoying when the owner is following and watching me. "ooh what does that do, why do you do that?" Most of the time I think that they just want to know how to do it themselves.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjohn2000 View Post
I always find it annoying when the owner is following and watching me. "ooh what does that do, why do you do that?" Most of the time I think that they just want to know how to do it themselves.
A lot of times it's just there curiosty , it's just babysitting them is all it is. They'll ask the same exact questions next year and the year after trust me.

If I have a service technician doing anything for me on any field, I will be the type to ask questions- yet give them there space to do there job. Except I retain the info they gave me
Old 11-17-2012, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Must have been one of my first blow-outs, with too much air at the compresor, I hit the remote and launched a Toro 12" Stream Rotor to the moon, missing my Kirk Douglas chin by inches.
Yup! I still get caught on blowing heads now and then.

Particularly the rain bird 1200 series and they even crappier rain bird big box heads. Toro it's more then older heads that will go.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjohn2000 View Post
If you had worked with me, you would have permission to say, "gee, did I give you advise on how to run your company?" Most hubbies think it's important to be "on the turf" with we lowlifes, mostly to get out of the house and strut their stuff. Bill them for extra time spent explaining what a pro does.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
If you had worked with me, you would have permission to say, "gee, did I give you advise on how to run your company?" Most hubbies think it's important to be "on the turf" with we lowlifes, mostly to get out of the house and strut their stuff. Bill them for extra time spent explaining what a pro does.
I always like it when I am told by the HO that the controller has three programs, one for each season and that you can't use them all at once. Mmmmm. easy service calls .
Old 11-17-2012, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Once a week i will turn off the compressor and the customer will say " arent you going to blow it out again just to make sure ? " My reply is sure , do you want to pay me for 2 blowouts ?
Old 11-28-2012, 04:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdirrigation View Post
Once a week i will turn off the compressor and the customer will say " arent you going to blow it out again just to make sure ? " My reply is sure , do you want to pay me for 2 blowouts ?
my man ed says Go back in the house and leave the workers alone.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-28-2012, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

tell mister nosy to go look up "surface tension"