Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-02-2012, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Member

I have that northern tool welder for about a year, brought it to play around practice. If all you plan on welding is steel, it should be ok. You can take that cheap welder & make multiple passes and weld thick steel as long as you bevel the edges. The 140 Lincoln is better cause you can use gas (but you have to get tanks). As said by others, if you can afford a 220 volt it would be best.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-02-2012, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Doesnt Home Depoit have the same thing new for 300$?

It should plug into your clothes dryer plug
It does use the same plug however most are a pain to get to and not near where you are working. An electrician can put one in for about 50 bucks. I have one next to the braker box in the garage and I made a 50ft extension cord.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Get one that you can use gas.

Last year, I bought a Clarke 160 MIG off of amazon for $370 shipped with the gas regulator kit so I can add gas. It's kind of midway between a cheap HF welder and a Lincoln both price wise and quality. It's a 220V model. I wired up a 220V outlet in my garage right next to my breaker panel. Also, bought 15' of 10/3 extension cord to replace the factory cord so I can use it out in my driveway if I'm welding with fluxcore wire.

It uses TWECO tips (same as the lincoln) that can be purchased pretty much anywhere that sells welding stuff (HD & Lowes included).

I've used it a few times for various projects and it works just fine for how often I use it.

Here's a pic when I was welding the rock sliders on my Tacoma.

Welding a mount for my backpack blower on my trailer.

Here's a shot of the 220V outlet I added under my breaker panel in the garage. Cost me about $35 in parts (male plug for the cord, receptacle, wall box, wire, and a breaker)

The reason it says "welder only" is because it's wired differently than the way your dryer or oven would be wired.

Last edited by macgyver_GA; 11-02-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver_GA View Post
Get one that you can use gas.

Last year, I bought a Clarke 160 MIG off of amazon for $370 shipped with the gas regulator kit so I can add gas. It's kind of midway between a cheap HF welder and a Lincoln both price wise and quality. It's a 220V model. I wired up a 220V outlet in my garage right next to my breaker panel. Also, bought 15' of 10/3 extension cord to replace the factory cord so I can use it out in my driveway if I'm welding with fluxcore wire.

It uses TWECO tips (same as the lincoln) that can be purchased pretty much anywhere that sells welding stuff (HD & Lowes included).

I've used it a few times for various projects and it works just fine for how often I use it.

Here's a pic when I was welding the rock sliders on my Tacoma.

Welding a mount for my backpack blower on my trailer.

Here's a shot of the 220V outlet I added under my breaker panel in the garage. Cost me about $35 in parts (male plug for the cord, receptacle, wall box, wire, and a breaker)

The reason it says "welder only" is because it's wired differently than the way your dryer or oven would be wired.
Can you tell me which brand your welder is....can't see it well. And interesting my first project will be to mount something for a blower. Is your rack for back pack or handheld? Likes like I will have to go 220V for sure but that is not a problem.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That's a Clarke. Not a bad mid price welder. The rack is for a backpack blower. 220v is the only way to go. 115v welders can barely weld foil. My next shop toy will be a plasma cutter. Tired of torch cutting. Gotta love tools.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-02-2012, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
That's a Clarke. Not a bad mid price welder. The rack is for a backpack blower. 220v is the only way to go. 115v welders can barely weld foil. My next shop toy will be a plasma cutter. Tired of torch cutting. Gotta love tools.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree...it takes heat to weld.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-02-2012, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you have a generator that's 5000 watts you should be able to plug welder into that easily.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-02-2012, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
If you have a generator that's 5000 watts you should be able to plug welder into that easily.
Posted via Mobile Device
I was also considering a welder gnerator.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
I was also considering a welder gnerator.
The gen is for my house, but powers gen too...good to keep it running anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-03-2012, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This guy was building a steel based fence in one of our HOA areas. I stopped and talked to him and he had not used welder before this project. Said he did a lot of grinding to get joint to look ok.
Attached Images