Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-02-2012, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
Most of those guys only want the cheapest guys out there, you don't want to be one of those guys! I fired one of mine last season, they wouldn't pay for an increase in work, they sure wanted more done though, outside of the contract that is.
how do you go about getting work then esp commercial in new to commercial so not too sure how to get my foot in the door i wana hit the ground running in spring and get about 15-20 commercial accnts
Old 11-02-2012, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Good paying commercial work is VERY HARD to get, you need connections and a lot of insurance. I wouldn't start out trying to get commercial work, you probably don't have enough insurance, or experience!
Old 11-02-2012, 01:16 AM
LawnSite Member

My salesman also obtain commercial work as well. It is about 60% residential and 40% commercial. He has a variety of methods for obtaining leads. Cold calling, door to door, marketing campaigns, networking, lead generation, SEO, etc.

It took me a few months to find the right person. I essentially posted ads on craigslist and LinkedIn but that didn't work as well as expected and only got me crummy salesman. I then decided to contact all of the larger companies in the area such as nutri lawn, trugreen, pacific landscape management, etc. And would try to get a hold of the salesman directly. I would offer better commission and better salary. I had great response and was able to interveiw four salesman. So yes I pay more than what a corporate landscape company would pay.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-02-2012, 01:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We only do commercial, and we work mostly through property management companies. They don't always want the cheapest price, we are never the cheapest price. The management companies that we work for want quality work and to not have to babysit the landscaper.
Its hard to start doing commercial. If you have no experience most companies wont even bother talking to you. We started doing small business parks and slowly worked our way up to bigger and bigger properties.
If you plan on going commercial you will need $2million in insurance and an extra $1million umbrella policy.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Member

For profitable commercial work you will need good insurance. We even get checked for our vehicle insurance. We have two home owners associations that require 3 million in insurance. But on average it is 2 million.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-02-2012, 01:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grounds Crew View Post
For profitable commercial work you will need good insurance. We even get checked for our vehicle insurance. We have two home owners associations that require 3 million in insurance. But on average it is 2 million.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yea we get checked for everything. Are you guys in Compliance Depot?
Old 11-02-2012, 01:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I agree! about the mngmt companies I just had a crappy one and have heard nothing but horror stories about most of them.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Member

I am not, but have been pondering the idea for a while. Would you recommend it? I haven't had much of a need for it yet.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-02-2012, 01:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grounds Crew View Post
I am not, but have been pondering the idea for a while. Would you recommend it? I haven't had much of a need for it yet.
Posted via Mobile Device
Well there's really no benefit if the client doesn't require it. All it does is ensure the client that you are compliant with your:
-Liability insurance
-Auto Insurance
-Workers Comp

and all that good stuff. Its more for the client than it is for you. Its kind of a pain in the butt though, every year you have to go to your insurance and renew all your insurance certificates and make sure everything is phrased right. I swear if there is one word spelled wrong they will reject it and the client can keep you off of their property until you have it corrected.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Seems like more of a hassle than a benefit. I just fax over to the property manager all of the documents they ask for and that's about all I need.
Posted via Mobile Device