Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-05-2012, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Leaf/Debris Loader: What CAN'T you suck up?

We were doing a mulch prep job today and were taking off the top layer of dirt and mulch, about a 50/50 mixture...Could a debris loader, such as a 20 HP ish billy goat, be able to suck up dirt and mulch, or would that cause too much stress on the machine? I saw the video of a billy goat sucking up bottles and phone books so i figure you can pretty much suck up anything, but i don't have experience with these...anyone have the answer to this?

Also, if you are just sucking out old mulch, are the longer pieces/sticks a concern for getting caught in the impeller and jamming up the machine?
Old 11-05-2012, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell36 View Post
We were doing a mulch prep job today and were taking off the top layer of dirt and mulch, about a 50/50 mixture...Could a debris loader, such as a 20 HP ish billy goat, be able to suck up dirt and mulch, or would that cause too much stress on the machine? I saw the video of a billy goat sucking up bottles and phone books so i figure you can pretty much suck up anything, but i don't have experience with these...anyone have the answer to this?

Also, if you are just sucking out old mulch, are the longer pieces/sticks a concern for getting caught in the impeller and jamming up the machine?
Well first off you would probably shorten the life of the impeller blade by a lot. Secondly, I think it would take too long to do it vs. raking it out and loading it into a wheel barrow. It will suck it up but it will also get stuck in the tube then you have to lift a now 75lb hose up to feed it into the impeller. Plus if your that close to the mulch beds that the hose would reach just rake it onto the curb or tarp it then empty it onto the curb a use a skid steer to load it all.

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net
Old 11-05-2012, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

although a skid would be ideal, it's not very practical...if it was a big enough job we would have possibly brought the tractor...

here's our situation...we have about 6 landscape beds, 6 feet by 20 feet, with old mulch and the natural edging has faded over time, so we redid the natural edging to where we had excess dirt...we loaded the wheel barrow and wheeled it over to our dump, but it takes two guys to lift a full wheel barrow into the truck, that's when i started thinking if we had a leaf rig with a debris loader could we just use the loader to suck the dirt out...

that's a good point on the dirt getting stuck in the tube, we had a trac-vac a few years ago that would get full of dirt/mud if it was too wet, and it got very heavy and unproductive...

what about straight mulch, would that be an issue?
Old 11-05-2012, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

mmm...they dont suck phone books or raccoons very well in my experience ..lol
Old 11-05-2012, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Those impeller blades are like 3/8" steel...a little mulch isn't going to wear them out.

Sucking up too much crap, however, can eventually take it's toll and throw it off balance

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 11-05-2012, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

What about just making a quick ramp out of a few 2x12's so they can just wheel it up?

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net
Old 11-06-2012, 09:24 AM
Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries's Avatar
Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries is offline
Sponsor

Mulch is fine but will want to settle out in the hose. The more moist it is the more this is true. Dirt can be trouble, especially if it's moist. This is more for folks who use these in conjunction with large stump grinders on occasion. After prolonged use it will begin to build up in the housing like adobe. Eventually it will begin to meet reistance as it comes into contact with the impeller, slowing it. If it's not cleared the fatigue will cause the impeller steel to crack, again after prolonged use.

Short term though, things to avoid? Blocks of wood (scraps from 2"x4", 4"x4", ect.), shoes, carpet, packing straps, and beach towels. All os those things are light enough to pick up and can bind between the housing and impeller and cause failure of multiple components. Grit and gravel will go through but will sand blast the housing and shorten the life of the liner and discharge. Rocks that could do any serious damage are too heavy to be picked up.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm gonna say-dog
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-06-2012, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

while rocks and mulch aren't great for the life span of a leaf loader, my old boss has his giant vac leaf loader, he bought brand new in 1987 and has only replaced the impeller a few times and he uses it alot, original motor still, and original housing. they really are great tools. i would go a head and try sucking up the mulch with it.