Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-24-2012, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Member

sub contracting work

do you guys usually sub out some of your jobs or just not do them?

how do you find good reliable subs for proper price?? etc

just looking for some info on the whole situation
Old 11-24-2012, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I sub blacktop. Found him on service magic. Fence and stuff i have a budfy who comes and works with me and does it. I do pretty much everything else myself
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-24-2012, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Member

I wana really grow my business t his year so I was thinking of advertising all diff jobs and pretty much bein a 1 stop shop for everything but I can't be everywere at once nor do I have all the equipment
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-24-2012, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Member

sub contracting work

I sub my irrigation work and some large foreclosure jobs. I would advise to know their work and if you can, have a good working relationship with your sub. At the end of the day, there work will reflect on your company.

Property Grounds Maintenance
Old 11-24-2012, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Member

How do you go about that being the first time I'm using them
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-24-2012, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Member

sub contracting work

Talk to the sub prior to contracting them about you stopping by and viewing their work. Ask for references. Have them show you their license and insurance don't take, I got one as an answer. Know their reputation, google their reviews online. Do all that you can do to know the sub that you want to use.

Property Grounds Maintenance
Old 11-24-2012, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Okay thanks! Yep I was plannning on setting all that up during the winter so I'm ready to go for spring/summer i ts hard to find reliable people who do great work the right way
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-25-2012, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'll sub out parts of jobs, but not entire jobs. If subbing part of the job means that I get the entire thing, then that's what I have to do. There are a few clients where I will be the GC because they are never around and I can count on them to pay.

In the long run though I think it's better to not get involved. Right now I am waiting for an invoice from one guy so I can send out a bill that I think will be somewhere around 6K. If he's higher than I am guessing then I am SOL, if he's lower then I guess I pocket a bit more money. On another job I am going to be having some legal issues with a sub because he took certain liberties that he thought he could get away with.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by godzilla View Post
I'll sub out parts of jobs, but not entire jobs. If subbing part of the job means that I get the entire thing, then that's what I have to do. There are a few clients where I will be the GC because they are never around and I can count on them to pay.

In the long run though I think it's better to not get involved. Right now I am waiting for an invoice from one guy so I can send out a bill that I think will be somewhere around 6K. If he's higher than I am guessing then I am SOL, if he's lower then I guess I pocket a bit more money. On another job I am going to be having some legal issues with a sub because he took certain liberties that he thought he could get away with.
what about just giving the guy the job obviously you need some sort f trust and relationship but you give him the job and he kicks you back money no need to show up or do the work on site. (this is assuming i cant do the job)
Old 11-25-2012, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles landscape View Post
what about just giving the guy the job obviously you need some sort f trust and relationship but you give him the job and he kicks you back money no need to show up or do the work on site. (this is assuming i cant do the job)
There is almost always a need to babysit unless the job is 100% cut and dry. As far as kickbacks go... I don't go for that stuff, and a lot of my friends don't either... we generally all feel that if you need a kickback for getting us jobs that you are otherwise doing something wrong. I did a job for one guy in the summer who unbeknownst to me tacked on $300 for himself to the bill. Didn't find that out until it came time to get paid. Went to look at a job at his house the other day... his actions this summer cost him a LOT more than the $300 that he made. Rather than making a good gesture and keeping his bill lower than what most would pay, I jacked it up much higher than what I would ask of most people.