Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-01-2013, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

How ignorant are we about China?

I was just looking through some old threads (2009) and came across the mention by James Solecki of the area in China that is the center of lighting manufacture. I just googled it and found this article:
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/cndy/20...t_15816386.htm

Sounds like a busy place. Is China coming up in our rear view mirror.......or are we already in theirs?

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."
Old 01-01-2013, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

China may be creeping behind us but I'm thinking it won't be for long. I think they'll eventually slip back a little bit or plateau. Reason being is that their country is only being driven on the backs of cheap, possibly slave labor. Dictatorship/Communism (pretty much the same thing to me) never lasts long...

Go U.S.A!
Old 01-01-2013, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The biggest issue is they are not playing the game like other 3rd world countries and suffering hyper inflation to bring up wages. Cost have equalized from Brazil, Mexico and every other 3rd world country that have taken money from the IMF and WB.

Right now I estimate China is at 25% of our wages but they will come up slowly but surely. They do have a ton of people.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:25 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

For your consideration:

http://www.economist.com/node/21549956

I am not aware of any 'slave labour' practises in China. I certainly have not seen it in SE China. Is it different there than here? Yes, absolutely, very different. But times, they are a - changin'.

China is most certainly not a 3rd world nation.

Labour costs in China are going up by double digit percentage points in many sectors with increases outstripping their economy's growth rate and most other economic indicators.

China is a net contributor to the IMF.

As for the world bank, they operate like a global central bank for nations... what of it? Here are some interesting economic stats about China from the world bank.

http://data.worldbank.org/country/china

Thinking of moving manufacturing to China? You might want to seriously re-consider that and look to other emerging markets. http://www.news.com.au/business/work...-1226438065496

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 01-02-2013, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting View Post
For your consideration:

As for the world bank, they operate like a global central bank for nations... what of it? Here are some interesting economic stats about China from the world bank.

Thinking of moving manufacturing to China? You might want to seriously re-consider that and look to other emerging markets. http://www.news.com.au/business/work...-1226438065496
If you look at the history of any emerging market that has gotten in bed with the IMF and WB you will see a trend. Just as is happening in China but China has more control over it own currency than do other emerging markets in history since the 70's
Old 01-02-2013, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Cities in China are way more safer, cleaner, and modern than cities in the US.

I just cant figure why there buying up all the worlds gold???
Old 01-02-2013, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Time is not on their side. For that matter, it will shellshock the world when China finally reaches it's financial meltdown (which is going to happen). Communism is almost always extremely efficient for the short term because of how quickly a nation can completely rebuild itself. The long term problem is, China can't stay efficient now. They have more people than efficient products and infrastructure to build. So now the government simply builds for the sake of building. China has lavish ghost cities on scale with Manhattan (but 10 times as modern), all over the country. These cities were ( and still are being) built and literally never occupied . They face two problems, most of the citizens can't afford to buy or live in these inflated cities and they really don't have anything else for the 8-9 million new chinese people who enter the workforce every year to do. They have a housing and commercial real estate bubble that is believed will make the US crash look like a walk in the park. God help us if the chinese implode and get desperate, seems we played this game before with another superpower.

That's just one example of the future crisis they face. Many financial experts claim they are buying up all the world's gold and all the US debt to hedge their bets when their currency implodes, they also print their own money to buy these debts in order to keep their currency artificially weak. We owe them 1 trillion dollars in capital alone and that doesn't even count them buying up our debt bonds.

Last edited by GreenLight; 01-02-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting View Post
For your consideration:

http://www.economist.com/node/21549956

I am not aware of any 'slave labour' practises in China. I certainly have not seen it in SE China. Is it different there than here? Yes, absolutely, very different. But times, they are a - changin'.

China is most certainly not a 3rd world nation.

Labour costs in China are going up by double digit percentage points in many sectors with increases outstripping their economy's growth rate and most other economic indicators.

I said cheap, "possibly slave labor." Have you read the article on yahoo recently (yes I know, could be true/could be false, much like our gov't.?)

Anyways, the article stated that an employee of a manufacturing company hid a note inside a Halloween decoration that was to be shipped to the U.S. The letter stated the poor work conditions, very very poor wages, and that people were often hit, etc. and were not allowed to quit.

This is slave labor to me...now we can't know for certain that it's true, however, I wouldn't put it past this Communist regime.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Some manufacturing is moving back to the US, but it's not that offshore labor rates are catching up, but because automation is making domestic plants more productive with fewer workers.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The writing is on the wall. When China crashes, we are headed for a one world currency and economy. The international bank has been pushing that way for years. I wonder where I read about all this one world currency and calamity coming...Oh let's see...that's right, it's all right there in THE BIBLE! It was all predicted thousands of years ago and it is all falling in to place exactly as foretold. Might be a good idea to pick it up and give it a read, as this world is heading for very, very dark times in the near future.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com