Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-05-2012, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennymo81 View Post
Hi everyone. I started my business this year in Eastern PA with 3 old used commercial units (21 snapper ninja, 21 snapper hi-vac, 21 Toro heavy duty). Somehow I kept them running but they are now shot. Im up to twenty customers, residential small to midsize lots, bi-weekly. Im going to purchase a new 32 walk behind and a 21 push for next season. My question is, if you could pick any new combo of a commercial 32 walk behind and a commercial 21,what would they be? Thanks everyone.
Posted via Mobile Device
I run a Toro 32" WB with T-bar controls. It's a great unit, and I don't have any complaints. Just about any of the major companies (Toro, Exmark, Scag, Bobcat, Gravely, Ferris, Etc.) are going to have top quality machines. Best advice is to go with the dealer that provides the best service.

The 32 WB is a beast, and much more productive than a 21" mower. Unless your properties require extensive use of the 21, I probably wouldn't spend too much money on one, because you'll be using the WB wherever you can.

I do 1/4 to 1/3 acre lots, and my 21" only gets used on one back yard that is so hard to access, I can be done with the 21" by the time I get the 32 into the yard.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Im lucky enough to have a good selection of dealers near me. Most of them carry Toro, Wright, Scag, and Ferris. There is one Hustler dealer. There is a Gravely dealer about an hour away in Delaware which is tax free but I would rather stay close.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLM HustlerZ View Post
I would take the advice from above and get both mowers new from the same dealer. By buying new- you'll know the history of both machines from day 1 and you'll have warranties too.

The question is, what brand equipment dealers do you have close to you? Like within 45 minutes to an hour.

Brands I recommend: Hustler, Scag, Exmark, Gravely. We just bought a Gravely Pro-Walk 36 inch Hydro walk behind mower this summer and it cuts great! We also have the Exmark commercial x-series 21 inch mower and the Exmark Metro 26 inch walk behind- these are both great mowers! A little review for ya, let me know which dealers are near you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-06-2012, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldoni View Post
I'm right near you...Drexel Hill. 21"s are not really designed to mow too much. After 21"s kept breaking I got a $900 exmark commercial 21" to get into a few backyards, and it needed a new ignition coil after maybe 50 hours, but its lasting a lot longer than any other 21" I had. I've bought lightly used exmark viking 36" and used exmark 48" turf tracer, for maybe 2x cost of new "commercial" 21", I think they are the best walkbehinds. A 48" hydro walkbehind is about 4x faster than using a 21". A 36" walkbehind is decent since you can get through more fences. I wouldn't get a 32" since they aren't hydro.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-06-2012, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Okay. Mostly all of my customers are in Essington or Norwood. They all want bi-weekly. I mulch on all but one of my customers. I find it difficult to mulch bi-weekly, especially with my older 21s. There is so much moisture in the grass around here and it seems to stay there for a good portion of the day. I have an older 5.5 Snapper Ninja that bogs down all the time. Im guessing that mulching with a 48 or a 36 is much easier.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-06-2012, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Okay. Mostly all of my customers are in Essington or Norwood. They all want bi-weekly. I mulch on all but one of my customers. I find it difficult to mulch bi-weekly, especially with my older 21s. There is so much moisture in the grass around here and it seems to stay there for a good portion of the day. I have an older 5.5 Snapper Ninja that bogs down all the time. Im guessing that mulching with a 48 or a 36 is much easier.
Posted via Mobile Device
Don't mulch grass clippings, side discharge. My 26HP Scag would be dead if I tried mulching grass cutting bi-weekly. A 36" or 48" walkbehind cuts the grass and spreads clipping way better than 21". They sell mulch kits for walkbehinds but people don't use them since side discharge with walkbehinds makes lawn look great.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I would go with a used combo rather than a new combo. Go find a Kubota w5021scc and an Exmark Viking 32 (dual hydro). I have both and they're outstanding commercial mowers that together only cost me $1,400.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would strongly look into getting a commercial grade 21 inch mower. I use mine all the time and know I will continue to use it in the future. Some of my yards have gates so small not even a 32 inch will fit through it. I honestly do not know how some guys get away with using the residential grade ones, I have had too many headaches with them. They are much better built than most residential mowers these days. I plan on replacing my personal Toro super recycler I use for my yard with a commercial 21 next year. Plus the cut quality of the commercial units is phenomenal, I love the cut of my Exmark Commercial 21. I plan on getting another one next year, the X series with the BBC. I also recommend a Toro proline 21 like the 22198, built like a tank!

For a 32 inch I know Snapper Pro and Toro make great 32 inch mowers, plus the Snapper Pro is around $2500, much cheaper than some other companies. If you were going bigger I would look into a floating deck hydro Exmark, Toro, Gravely, Hustler or Ferris/ Snapper pro, depending on the dealers in your area
2013 Exmark Commercial 21 X Series Kawasaki BBC
2012 Exmark Commercial 21 S Series
2013 Echo PAS-280
2013 Echo PB-770T

Last edited by Church2224; 11-07-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Ive been looking on craigslist for the last year for the used dual hydro 32 exmark and havnt found any. The only thing that came close was a 36 turf tracer, used heavily, for $3500. I couldnt bring myself to do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by question1 View Post
I would go with a used combo rather than a new combo. Go find a Kubota w5021scc and an Exmark Viking 32 (dual hydro). I have both and they're outstanding commercial mowers that together only cost me $1,400.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-07-2012, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Just an update, I talked to a dealer today and he gave me a few prices. Im leaning towards a Hustler Trimstar 36 for around $5000 and a Toro proline 21 for $1100. My other option is the Scag pro v but I cant stand the handles. I love the feel of the Bobcat 36 hydro but no floating deck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-07-2012, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Just an update, I talked to a dealer today and he gave me a few prices. Im leaning towards a Hustler Trimstar 36 for around $5000 and a Toro proline 21 for $1100. My other option is the Scag pro v but I cant stand the handles. I love the feel of the Bobcat 36 hydro but no floating deck.
Posted via Mobile Device
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/grd/3347389046.html end of story. buy that, use it for a couple years then sell it on CL for $3000. hope that helps.