Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-25-2013, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Push blower for leaves and sweet gum balls

Will a push blower have enough force to blow gum balls?

I've been looking at the billy goat blowers. Think it's the 9 or 11 hp model for leaves and parking lots but I also have a few lawns where sweet gum balls drop and we have to blow them into piles.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-25-2013, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Started with a 9 hp BillyGoat. Didn't think it had enough power. Took it back and got a 13 hp Honda. Much better. Just one person's opinion.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We run a 14hp Subaru self propelled Little Wonder. Not sure about Billy Goat's now, but pretty sure they don't have reverse self propel. Unless you're working with flat land they are mighty heavy to have to push/pull.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-25-2013, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Member

we have a 13hp Honda billy goat force 2 self propelled and it really moves some air, and will certainly move gum balls. We also have a 14hp Subaru little wonder no bells or whistles, but also pushes some serious air. We only have 3 houses that have gum balls and the 13hp billy goat moves them right out of the way, considering the grass isn't 4-5" long. And whatever gum balls or gum ball pieces it doesn't move the mower at 2.5" picks them right up.
I think next year I'm going to sell the 14hp and get the 18hp little wonder with self propelled and air deflector. Hope this helps!!

2014 Ford F-350 Powerstroke Diesel 6.7L
2007 Ford F-550 Powerstroke Switch-n-go 6.0L
2005 Ford F-250 Powerstroke Diesel 6.0L
2000 Ford F-250 Powerstroke w/EZdump 7.3L
2010 7x16 Enclosed
2013 60" eXmark Vantage X-series
eXmark 52" and 36" hydro Walk behinds
Little Wonder & Billy Goat Force Push Blowers
REDMAX Blowers, Trimmers
Giant Vac 35hp Truck Loader
Bandit 250xp 12" chipper
Husqvarna XP saws
Old 11-25-2013, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That 18 has gotta be an animal.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-26-2013, 06:45 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks guys keep the opinions coming.

I've looked at the 13 hp billy goat and seen internet pricing around 1700. At that price it becomes a luxury but with hourly crews it could save a tone of time over its life span. Especially when it only gets used during leaf season and maybe 30-60 minutes a week in growing season.

We use a walker mower and bag leaves or pile at curbs for city removal so we would use it to push leave to the leaf loader.

I could really use it for a few gym all clean ups and a few commercial parking lots. I'm sure I could also use it for end of year bed clean outs and on rainy days when we didn't want the mower on a lawn.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-26-2013, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I really dislike, no I hate, sweetgum trees. (unless they stand across the street-they're really pretty this time of year.)lol
Old 11-26-2013, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

back pack blowers are better to get IN the grass, blow stuff OUT of it, more concentrated. Walk behind blowers are good for moving large volumes of leaves. In small areas they blow it out of control(into the street, etc...) I have a 13hp little wonder 390lb Honda engine- its a push not self propelled. recommend atleast 13hp if youre going to get one. if you have a lot of rough terrain and hills get the self propelled. They would be awesome for parking lots. Usually we make a pass with the WB and followed right behind is a guy on the back pack blower, getting the few STUCK leaves it missed. WB wont get those stuck leaves as well as back pack, but when you got to move large amount of leaves WB is WAY better.
hope this helps and good luck.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:05 PM
Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries's Avatar
Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries is online now
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverestLandscape View Post
we have a 13hp Honda billy goat force 2 self propelled and it really moves some air, and will certainly move gum balls. We also have a 14hp Subaru little wonder no bells or whistles, but also pushes some serious air. We only have 3 houses that have gum balls and the 13hp billy goat moves them right out of the way, considering the grass isn't 4-5" long. And whatever gum balls or gum ball pieces it doesn't move the mower at 2.5" picks them right up.
I think next year I'm going to sell the 14hp and get the 18hp little wonder with self propelled and air deflector. Hope this helps!!
Why wouldn't you get the Billy Goat F18 SP if the F13 SP has worked well for you? I'm not here to change your mind but learn why you'd choose one over the other.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries View Post
Why wouldn't you get the Billy Goat F18 SP if the F13 SP has worked well for you? I'm not here to change your mind but learn why you'd choose one over the other.
Main reason...because the little wonder has reverse. Pretty much the only reason
Posted via Mobile Device