Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-17-2012, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutman2000 View Post
Godaddy is too high. http://www.dollarhostnow.com
No reviews anywhere and there are 1,000 sites (literally) sitting on their own domain's shared IP address, including adult content. No offense, but in the web project world, we call those kinds of reseller front operations "lowballers".
Old 11-17-2012, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

FWIW, I have my own VPS and 5 IP's because of the very concern Tony mention.

I hand coded my orginal site some 5 or 6 years ago and it shows
I recently ( last winter) set up a Drupal 7 site but I need to spend some more time on it in regards to content and dressing it up a little.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Well let me know how that dollarhost is, usually the cheaper they are the more experience you need, but worse is when they don't offer a full range of services or just as bad is when they offer a full range minus the one thing you really can't do without... Like your own domain email?
And there's no arguing with a cheap host, not really.

It amazes me thou, I thought we had it cheap...
But I'm paying three times that.
Which is still only $35 a year.

So switching would be an option that, if it takes more than an hour or two, won't pay for itself for years lol

Still I'd consider it, my experience with hosts has been so mixed that I always consider cheap.
On a good note cheap hosts sometimes are cheap because they need customers, and if that is the case some of them are willing to spend their idle time in the support department, not all of them but some are definitely good in that regard thou most will eventually tire of it, further they usually all eventually go up in price, some reasonably, some not so...
Then you have to switch again...

Needless to say, we get to a point, find a host you like, stick with it.

Last edited by herler; 11-17-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
FWIW, I have my own VPS and 5 IP's because of the very concern Tony mention.
I probably should clarify my own comments a bit. As Duekster and I allude to, you can become a victim of who you're sharing your proverbial house with. The vast majority of the time, and with legitimate shared hosts, there are usually no problems due to sites sharing your IP address. For this reason, it's in the shared hosts' best interests to keep the adult and scam sites off of their servers. The search engines know this happens and I can't recall ever seeing an attributable rank penalty, but where you can see it come in to play, is via email spam filters. The email you send to your clients are just fine, but a spam filter can flag it due to other offending sites sharing your common ip address and lumping you on to a black list.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
No reviews anywhere and there are 1,000 sites (literally) sitting on their own domain's shared IP address, including adult content. No offense, but in the web project world, we call those kinds of reseller front operations "lowballers".
A slight correction... Apparently I timed out on that 1,000 number. There are 2,391 domains on that one IP address.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I do not want to tell you guys what I pay for hosting as you would fall over. I could easy put 100 domains on it or more and run a hosting service.

My domain has it's own IP and my E-mail is solid. I recently had an issue of some sort about some rejected mail because of " Sender Policy Framework (SPF) is an email validation system designed to prevent email spam by detecting email spoofing, a common vulnerability, by verifying sender IP addresses. SPF allows administrators to specify which hosts are allowed to send mail from a given domain by creating a specific SPF record (or TXT record) in the Domain Name System (DNS). Mail exchangers use the DNS to check that mail from a given domain is being sent by a host sanctioned by that domain's administrators."

I contacted support the first weenie eluded to how to fix it.

My response was short of me moving " how do I get this fixed" and it was fixed. It is not just spam filters, it is spoofing and such that you have to be concerned with these days and as methods to combat spam increases so does the need to have more control over your system.

I do keep several domains, one of which is just for file storage in a private file not associated with any live domain or IP address. I have one domain on the site that is not mine but it belongs to a good friend and his store front business.

I have full root access not that I would even know what to do with it but the GUI system and FTP allows me to do most of what I want and need. If I do have an issue I just give the guys a shout. The company I started with has been sold twice and it seems the staffing support is better but a little less responsive unless I just tell them I am not going to fix it, that is your job.

If I were to move I would likely get the same VPS but go to rack space or something but for now, I will stay put. I am not sure Rack space would be as support responsive to me.

Last edited by Duekster; 11-17-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I will add, I was lucky because I bought my 5 IP's about 10 years ago so I have 6 in total. I think these days you just lease them. I suspect if I move I could not take my IP's but I am not paying an on-going fee for them either.