Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-19-2012, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Lawdog, were u reading my mind?
I thought I had the problem solved, installed new O2 yesterday and ran mower for 10 mins, no code, , used it today after a few mins of use check engine light onfelt sick. Still running pretty good but not right, finished day with no problems but not using again till problem solved, dont want to ruin the new O2 sensor.
The wire/connection u refer to, is low and attached from lowest part of frame and to started body? I dropped a nut and while looking I saw that connection and was going to check it.
Do u recommend removing the connector and replacing with a tinned copper one?
Thanks to all for your input, I am going to correct this problem if it is the last thing I do, LOL.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Member

if you are unsure if it is a stainless connector, then go ahead and replace it. you may even try and solder it on as well. this was the kohler repair back in the day. Is the starter bolt black or shiny? if it is black, then clean it very well with a wire brush and try and get most of that coating off. if it is shiny you should be fine. I would also for peace of mind, remove an engine mounting bolt from underneath the machine and grind the paint away and reinstall the bolt to make sure you have a good ground patch. At the same time, follow the negative ground cable from the battery to the frame, remove it from the frame, and grind the frame to bare metal there as well and reinstall. You see, in 2002 walker started using powder coat as well and that did cause some ground issues as well. You just need to make sure that all of these things are addressed and i think you will come out okay.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok guys, wasted a few more hours and no farther ahead. Removed a lower engine mounting bolt, cleaned all the power coat, cleaned everything off the bolt and washer with wire brush and re-installed with dielectric grease. Same process with battery ground. Could not find any other ground to frame connections near the started.
After the ground work engine seems to run worse than before, could just be plugs (just replaced) getting dirty. I now question if there was ever an issue with the original O2 sensor. (have saed and may re-install) Cleared codes and 34 has set again.
Recap of what has been done; new airfilter IN/OUT, new ngk plugs properly gaped, fuel was at about 1/4, refilled full with new fuel, new OEM O2,
My next step is to check connections per the manual procedure as best I can.
Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Member

did you find the eyelet that was supposedly stainless steel at one time? did you replace that? That was the ultimate culprit!
Old 11-26-2012, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Member

No only connector I found was connected to a sender of some kind on the bottom front of the engine, right behind the blower. That is all i could find. Am going to look and check all the connections in a few. If you can direct me to the location I would be very grateful.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Member

i sent you a pm. the ground wire was in the top starter mounting bolt i believe.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-27-2012, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The engine bolt used for a ground may be too long & the ss ends only have 2% of the conductivity of copper. That was the original problem.

Oldtimer
Posted via Mobile Device