Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-10-2013, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Going back into the family lawn service

Good evening all,

I'm relatively new to the forum and I'd to gauge your opinions on a personal matter - I'm a 24 year old from South Florida who currently lives about an hour away from my parent's home and my father's place of business. He owns and operates a 300+ residential service and has done so for the past 20 years. I live and work in Miami at a job that I do not particularly care for (no opportunities for advancement, very low pay, poor office culture, communication issues, etc.) during the week and go back home on the weekends to help my dad with some of the business financials and/or work a day or two as a crew leader. Having worked with my Dad on and off since I was in middle school, I know the ins and outs of the manual labor side of things, and now would like to turn my focus on helping him run the business side more efficiently. My dad is a one-man operation in terms of the business side and as his business has expanded so has his workload.
To make matters more difficult, my mother has stage-four cancer and consequently my dad is her part-time caretaker, which further adds to his busy work life. My mother recently went one to long term disability, slashing her salary in half and making family finances much more difficult.

I've been seriously contemplating quitting my job in Miami and going back home to live/work (during the week at least, I have an apartment and a girlfriend who I live with in Miami). I want to learn a more business-minded skill set, not to mention alleviate some of my family's $$ issues, put more $ into my own pocket, and help my dad's business run more smoothly. Also, my mother's health being as it is, I think this could be a great time period to really give back to my parents, being that I'm an only child and they've sacrificed so much for me over the years. Since now our "winter" is upon us, this is a great slow business period in which to learn a lot of the ins and out of the business while getting ready for a busy summer.

My question to all of you is - what would you do in my situation?
Old 12-10-2013, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It sounds like you have a dead end job, and an opportunity. I'm guessing your already packed.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If for no other reason to be with family during a very difficult situation. It sounds like you have your mind made up and just need a gentle push to go home.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Go home.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Go home and stay. You can get another job. You can get another apartment. You can even get another girlfriend. You can get another mother and her time is limited. I put a very successful career aside to come home and be with my Grandmother (the greatest women to ever walk among us) and I can't tell you how glad I am that I did so. Now I'm just as successful as a Landscaper and don't have half the stress. Do the right thing, you are young, don't live to regret it.
1978 F-350 Dump Truck
1988 Z-71 Chevy 4x4 Meyers Plow
2005 Chevy HD 2500 6.0
1989 Toyota One ton Flatbed
2013 61" Bad Boy Outlaw XP 36 Vanguard
2013 54" Bad Boy Outlaw Stander Kawasaki
2014 48" Wright Walk Behind
Old 12-11-2013, 06:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would go back. You only have one family. At 25, I could have taken or left any job I had. There will be plenty of time for that later.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:21 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sometimes friction arises between family members in business together. Your dad is under alot of pressure on a couple fronts. if you go home make sure you will be part of the solution. otherwise visit your mom and dad frequently but stay away from the business for a while. best wishes to you.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
Sometimes friction arises between family members in business together. Your dad is under alot of pressure on a couple fronts. if you go home make sure you will be part of the solution.
Great point, RussellB. JasRaine, have you talked to your Father about your idea? What are his thoughts? If you posed the question, "What can I do to help, Dad?" where does that lead the conversation?
Old 12-11-2013, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'd be with my family if I were you. Sounds like a no brainer. Go be with your family.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-11-2013, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
Great point, RussellB. JasRaine, have you talked to your Father about your idea? What are his thoughts? If you posed the question, "What can I do to help, Dad?" where does that lead the conversation?
Posted via Mobile Device