Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-04-2012, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Greasing spindles

I just replaced 3 spindle housings and spindle bearings on an Exmark Lazer HP. I replaced the Exmark sealed bearing with aftermarket Oregon parts since they cost so much less. The new bearing housings have grease fittings on the side of the housings. The housings are bolted under the deck.

Since both my mowers have never required grease in the spindles, I don't know how much grease to put in there first time, and I don't know how often to grease, or how much goes in routinely. Exmark only specifies anti-seize for assembly.

What is the typical way to grease these bearings? Thanks...

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Gravely-Scag
Stihl-Redmax
Old 11-04-2012, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Pump full until you see the seal just start to bulge. I usually have to add a pump a week, depending on use. Biggest thing is sticking to one brand/type of grease and not mixing them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-04-2012, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A word about Oregon spindles with sealed bearings and a grease fitting.
The ones we use, and we use a lot of em , have sealed bearings, that is, the bearing is sealed on both sides. So you can pump yer a$$ off and very little, if any grease is gonna make it to the innerds of the brngs!
I verified this by taking a new unit apart.
So if ya wanna grease em, ya might wanna pop the bearings out and remove the inner seals.
Now...back to the race!

......AMF!
Old 11-04-2012, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That would explain why they are so cheap. I've always stuck with OEM. Yea, you need to disassemble and pop off the inner seal. That's a dumazz shortcut they took.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-04-2012, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
The ones we use, and we use a lot of em , have sealed bearings, that is, the bearing is sealed on both sides. So you can pump yer a$$ off and very little, if any grease is gonna make it to the innerds of the brngs!
So if ya wanna grease em, ya might wanna pop the bearings out and remove the inner seals.
Now...back to the race!
I have noted this as well. There is no way for the grease to get to the [sealed] bearing.
We just pack the spindle housing with grease and coat the spindle as well on assembly.
I think the only reason for you to add grease is to help keep water out. Now I never tried to remove the inner seals....and don't know how that will help as the bearing is now unsealed. I get replacement bearings from NAPA.
kenny.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

With the inner seal removed grease will be forced into the bearings as well as keeping the cavity full. Water is only a real threat when you pressure was too close.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-05-2012, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
Now...back to the race!
Thanks for the info. I don't know how to tell the difference between sealed and unsealed bearings.

I don't see that there is any place for excess grease to squeeze out, so it is guesswork to know when to stop. Does it squeeze out at the bottom of the housing between the bearing and the housing?

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Gravely-Scag
Stihl-Redmax
Old 11-05-2012, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackitdown View Post
Thanks for the info. I don't know how to tell the difference between sealed and unsealed bearings.

I don't see that there is any place for excess grease to squeeze out, so it is guesswork to know when to stop. Does it squeeze out at the bottom of the housing between the bearing and the housing?
All of the above. The grease also adds to the cooling of the bearings by absorbing some of the heat.
Posted via Mobile Device