Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-06-2012, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post

don't make up stories just because you have something against stihl.
Lol, I have / had 4 stihl product's. BG85, br 600, fs90 and my br550 was stolen a couple years back. The 550 getting stolen was a blessing in disguise, the power was pretty disappointing.
Stay focused and leave distractions for those who will fail in their ventures
Old 11-06-2012, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I went with the 600 magnum. not sure I even checked out the 550.

don't make up stories just because you have something against stihl.

there isn't a handheld on the market that will out blow a backpack. even staying with the stihl brand there handhelds won't out blow even there smallest backpack.
My BG85 outblows an ole Echo PB series backpack...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-06-2012, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
Actually there are handhelds that will outblow the small cheapie backpack blowers.
that could be.....

but a stihl handheld will not out blow a stihl backpack.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
that could be.....

but a stihl handheld will not out blow a stihl backpack.
The bg86 specs are better than the br200.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-06-2012, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi guys, I'm still new to this site, so please bare with me. I'll add my 2 cents to this, and I also have an issue with my backpack blower. I've got the BR600 Stihl, it's about 4 or 5 years ago. I bought it locally as a demo unit.

I've run the HECK out of that thing, over the past 4 years. As of lately, I have had quite a bit of trouble getting it to start. The float in the carb acts like it is sticking, as it floods itself to death, while sitting overnight.

I went to start it this afternoon, and when I went to give it a pull, the engine rolled over about 1/3 of a turn, and then locked up. I can tug on the starter rope until the rope almost snaps, and the engine won't budge.

Since day 1, I've used Stihl HP Ultra 50:1 oil mixture to one gallon. Never any problems beforehand. Is it shot? If so, I'm going to be in the market for a new backpack blower come next year. Any advice for me, or info would be great. Are there any other brands out there that are better than the Stihl? Thanks guys!
Old 11-06-2012, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsole View Post
ah ok. thank you all very much
i am looking for a walk behind blower also- the 10 or 13hp one preferably

thank you very much for all your reccomendations
go with the 9hp honda little wonder, model is 270h i believe. honestly more power is better and will create a little more cfm, but its not worth pushing the extra weight around and the higher price tag. if you want your customers wondering how you got the job done so fast and how their lawn is cleaner then ever, BUY the little wonder. I did and that's what every new customer i get says, and they all say they have had several different big name companies do clean ups for them. As for the backpack blower, I have used echo pb770h which, the husky 180bt, and br600 which are all comparable cfm wise and price tag wise. they all cost about 530 after taxes in my area, the stihl is the lightest, then the echo, then the husky. the husky is also the most powerful, which is great if you are doing you clean ups with a backpack only, but you are not. so I would go with the lightest.....I have owned my echo pb770h for 7 years. and it still works great. my husky is 4 years old and still works great. both are much heavier then a br600, and now that i have all the tools to do clean ups the right way, I'm switching over to stihl br600's because they are light and quieter. and all i need backpacks for is blowing grass off, and blowing out beds, and leaves from corners. anything other then that my little wonder is used and once the pile becomes too large for that, I use my leaf plow and push the leaves wherever they have to go.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK Property Maintenance View Post
go with the 9hp honda little wonder, model is 270h i believe. honestly more power is better and will create a little more cfm, but its not worth pushing the extra weight around and the higher price tag. if you want your customers wondering how you got the job done so fast and how their lawn is cleaner then ever, BUY the little wonder. I did and that's what every new customer i get says, and they all say they have had several different big name companies do clean ups for them. As for the backpack blower, I have used echo pb770h which, the husky 180bt, and br600 which are all comparable cfm wise and price tag wise. they all cost about 530 after taxes in my area, the stihl is the lightest, then the echo, then the husky. the husky is also the most powerful, which is great if you are doing you clean ups with a backpack only, but you are not. so I would go with the lightest.....I have owned my echo pb770h for 7 years. and it still works great. my husky is 4 years old and still works great. both are much heavier then a br600, and now that i have all the tools to do clean ups the right way, I'm switching over to stihl br600's because they are light and quieter. and all i need backpacks for is blowing grass off, and blowing out beds, and leaves from corners. anything other then that my little wonder is used and once the pile becomes too large for that, I use my leaf plow and push the leaves wherever they have to go.
thanks for the information i appreciate it. i will look for the honda270 engine little wonder.
thanks everyone
Old 11-06-2012, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

what about the push, not fully featured LB 270H. it has a subaru engine. is that as good as honda?
thanks
Old 11-06-2012, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When shopping for backpacks, I looked at all brands and felt Stihl had the best combination of comfort, performance, ease of maintenance, starting, and durability. Plus easy part access and a great warranty. I have used the 550 and my 600 magnum side by side, and even blowing light grass off of a street or drive, you can tell a difference. The 550 honestly seems like a waste to me. The extra power is really worth the 50 or some bucks. If stihl didnt exist, Husqvarna would be my second choice in handheld. But to me, The br 600 magnum is the ultimate.

Dont let the low sound fool or specs fool you. In real world conditions, its just as efficient and powerful as the 8001, 8500, 770, or 580bts. why? I have honestly used them all and can tell you that in reality one may be alittle stronger, but weights more. It all equallys out in the end really. There all very close in real performance. If you cant move it with a Br 600, You need alot more than a backpack blower.

14 Years old
Old 11-06-2012, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsole View Post
what about the push, not fully featured LB 270H. it has a subaru engine. is that as good as honda?
thanks
the lb270 h is the one i have with the remote mount air flow control, i haven't heard too many bad things about the subaru, but i haven't heard anything bad about the honda or any honda engine....I would pay the extra money and go with the honda, mine was sitting all winter long and it started first pull, i did spring clean ups with it and then it sat for the whole summer, and it started in the middle of october first pull again. and that's why i went with the honda. mine is just over a year old now, but even my buddies that is 7 years old and does 60-65 clean ups a year, still starts up in 1 or 2 pulls. its honda they run forever.