Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-03-2013, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Well went down to dealer today, and it is a nice mower but Im not sure about spending that much money on a residential mower. Tried both models ZG124E and ZG123S,loved the suspension seat on the S and really liked the deck lift design on both mowers, no pin to set hight at, just turn the knob and push foot down once to lift deck at full hight and one more time to release to set height. Is the Kholer motor that much better than the Briggs?? Dealer said it was an upgrade over the Briggs . 4989+ tax for the 48"ZG123S and 5298+ tax for the base model 54" ZG127E without suspension seat Kholer motor and led lights . Thinking I could find a better deal out there somewhere but not sure of buing used. The Hustler super duty I mentioned earlier in my posts sold today when I called the guy. Day late and a Dollar short
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-03-2013, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Member

I personally think for the $ the Scag Freedom Z and the Ferris IS600-700Z are both better buys at this point than the Kubota.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey guys new to the site, just picked up a ZG124E 48" Kubota off CL for with 8 hours on it for $3,300 with transferrable warranty. Was that a good deal? Home owner bought it and realized it was too much for his small lot...

Regards
Old 07-16-2013, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdncb1 View Post
Hey guys new to the site, just picked up a ZG124E 48" Kubota off CL for with 8 hours on it for $3,300 with transferrable warranty. Was that a good deal? Home owner bought it and realized it was too much for his small lot...

Regards
Wow yes, there was the buy of the month! I love to hear about deals like this. I was worried to death about this mower and the fact that bota can get some folks financed that sheffield and GE turned down. At first sight I was blown away, led lights were cool, looked like a stout little machine until I started looking at it closer. I started to see were the corners were cut. Deck was 10 gauge like $3499 bad boy just a little deeper design, spindles were set up like the stamped deck deere spindle, lowest pro tires I have ever seen on a mower, I felt the rocks in the parking lot just cruising around on it. dealer carried the Gravely mowers so I was acting like I was looking at buying the XL with 2800's for $4199, or hd for $5199 with 3100's fr kawa. Just for kicks we got the zg227 out to drive around too, and it felt more like the hd gravely, but in the $8000+range, got me looking at the 252 then. Honestly it felt better on the sticks, had a better looking spindle, deck design, feel, I was so blown away I had the Gravely rep bring out some demoes this week and talk about signing up with them selling... Looks like Gravely has really stepped to the plate since i looked at them last... If I was shopping for real and could get past the salesman almost begging me to buy the bota talking about how much better it was, I was thinking the Gravelys were a much better buy side by side.
I had heard that since this mower was released Kubota was gonna start making the Bota dealers start pulling the other lines out (I can see why after my visit to this one). I thought it was just a rumor, but so far verified by 6 people in the biz this week... I have an acquaintance that owns 3 bota dealerships, i will holler at him this week to find out for sure...

13 Gravely 460 60" 31hp
13 BB AOS 35hp 4 cylinder Cat 72"
13 BB XP 31hp Kawasaki 61", 13' 36hp 61 xp
2013 Grasshopper 325D 61" 4x rear discharge w/suspension forks !Awesome!
13 GH 725D Rear Discharge 61" 13' 430D 72"
07 Bad Boy Lightning 52 inch with 26hp LC Kawasaki (just hit 3000 hours and going strong after rolling down the road and totaling out at 22 hours!)
2012 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4 Custom!
08 Chevy 1500 v8 Shop dog
"Mow With an Attitude"
Old 08-08-2013, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Retrodog, I was at a dealer today and wanted to look at the Kubotas, Ferris's, and Scags. He showed me Kubota and Ferris, but when I asked about Scag, he took me out and showed me one outside and said, "You don't want one of these. We haven't sold one in 2 years." Then he pointed to something about how the deck lifts that he said was bad. He definitely didn't want to sell me one of those. He did give me the info on Ferris, but he was pushing the Kubota for sure.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timely View Post
Retrodog, I was at a dealer today and wanted to look at the Kubotas, Ferris's, and Scags. He showed me Kubota and Ferris, but when I asked about Scag, he took me out and showed me one outside and said, "You don't want one of these. We haven't sold one in 2 years." Then he pointed to something about how the deck lifts that he said was bad. He definitely didn't want to sell me one of those. He did give me the info on Ferris, but he was pushing the Kubota for sure.
I did try out the z100. Rides rough has heck but cuts just like my zd326
Old 08-12-2013, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Does it look like the wheels are really big with not a whole lot of meat to the tires to anyone else or is that just me?
Old 08-12-2013, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCMO95 View Post
Does it look like the wheels are really big with not a whole lot of meat to the tires to anyone else or is that just me?
Ya they are
Old 08-13-2013, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Zg123s

I have been running a ZG123S for a few months now and have been pleased. It is a really nice unit for residential use. I have only 2 complaints with the mower:

First, the non-foldable ROPS, how stupid. Plus, Kubota doesn't even offer a foldable one as an upgrade. After popping a wheelie or two on low branches I made my non-foldable ROPS foldable. Works great now.

Second, the low profile rear tires. Again, seems kind of dumb to me. They do look cool, but I would rather give up the looks for a bit better ride. Even with the full suspension seat on the S models it still rides pretty firm, I haven't tried the E models with the basic seat but I would have to imagine that ride is pretty miserable. Over the winter I will probably pick up a set of smaller wheels with meatier tires to soften things up a bit.
Attached Images

Last edited by mts25; 08-13-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timely View Post
I hear that a lot, my mower reps get excited when they get in a bit tractor dealership, they don't understand it hurts them more than helps. Our dealer had Gravely, but always tried to sell bota first, I always sent them back to look at the other mowers again.... Out of the 65 brands I feel whole heartily that deere and bota have the least mower to offer for the most money everytime, specially when figuring long time ownership of parts and labor also at a tractor dealer. There are some tractor dealers that are easy to deal with, but its rare

13 Gravely 460 60" 31hp
13 BB AOS 35hp 4 cylinder Cat 72"
13 BB XP 31hp Kawasaki 61", 13' 36hp 61 xp
2013 Grasshopper 325D 61" 4x rear discharge w/suspension forks !Awesome!
13 GH 725D Rear Discharge 61" 13' 430D 72"
07 Bad Boy Lightning 52 inch with 26hp LC Kawasaki (just hit 3000 hours and going strong after rolling down the road and totaling out at 22 hours!)
2012 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4 Custom!
08 Chevy 1500 v8 Shop dog
"Mow With an Attitude"