Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 11-05-2012, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Blown Engine: 1,140 hours

Kawasaki 31 hp engine with 1,140 hours blew this morning (60 inch Super Z). It sounded like I had run over something, then the mower shut down. Engine had a hole in it between the oil filter and the dip stick. Engine has always been serviced between 30 and 50 hours intervals with filter replaced at each change. Any ideas on what could have caused this early engine failure? Anyone ever have any luck getting price break from Kawasaki for early engine failure after expired warrenty (mower is five years old)?
Old 11-06-2012, 11:43 AM
Sponsor

1140 hours on the engine is not uncommon. It is rare when high maintenance is practiced. I've seen much lower hour failures due to lack of maintenance. The saying "take care of your tools, your tools will take care of you" holds true most of the time. It sounds like you threw a rod. Pending on what the remains look like will tell a story. Metal transfer, bluing on the journals, rod is in several pieces etc... Think of it as an autopsy to find the cause of death. Your servicing dealer should be able to help with that and forward the results to Kawasaki. Normally if the engine is going to blow due to manufacturer defect it happens in the first 100 hours. At the very least you will know the probable cause of failure.
I know this is not the life line you were looking for but we need to find out the cause.

Brian O
Old 11-11-2012, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLMGT View Post
Kawasaki 31 hp engine with 1,140 hours blew this morning (60 inch Super Z). It sounded like I had run over something, then the mower shut down. Engine had a hole in it between the oil filter and the dip stick. Engine has always been serviced between 30 and 50 hours intervals with filter replaced at each change. Any ideas on what could have caused this early engine failure? Anyone ever have any luck getting price break from Kawasaki for early engine failure after expired warrenty (mower is five years old)?
I had a cylinder becoming weak on my Super Z (most would continued to run the engine) and I needed to spend some money before the end of the year. I bought a brand-new in the box Kohler 28 efi for $1210.00 delivered to my dealer. I had them install a new Kohler 28 efi engine, both hydraulic pumps, wheel motors, Michigan Suspension Seat, electric clutch, blade spindles, idler pulleys, belts, wiring, hoses, and they prepped, primed and painted all rusty areas, (there were very few). This mower runs better, and cuts and operates as good as my new 72" Super Z with the 35 hp Kawasaki engine, and it is a 2006, 66" Super Z. I have pictures of the new rebuild and shots of the XR-7 deck cut posted on LawnSite.

The fuel injected engines are far superior to any carburetored engine.