Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-03-2012, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Member

If you could pick one walk behind and one push to start with.

Hi everyone. I started my business this year in Eastern PA with 3 old used commercial units (21 snapper ninja, 21 snapper hi-vac, 21 Toro heavy duty). Somehow I kept them running but they are now shot. Im up to twenty customers, residential small to midsize lots, bi-weekly. Im going to purchase a new 32 walk behind and a 21 push for next season. My question is, if you could pick any new combo of a commercial 32 walk behind and a commercial 21,what would they be? Thanks everyone.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-03-2012, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Member

I d try to by both from same dealer and my preference of equipment is toro.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've been working with the cheap 21's for a few years now, until this year when i finally decided to drop the money on the 21 inch honda 216 Commercial mower. So far, im loving it. As others have commented, its a bit heavy, but it rolls great and the drive system does all the work of pushing the mower. Ive mulched taller grass, and it does fine. The bag system works great too.

can't speak on the walk behind, but there are some videos of the new toro commercial model 30 inch mower ( i think) called the turfmaster. if you do a search on here, you will find a few videos of it. It might be a good option if you dont need the full blown walk behind.

Good luck with your decisions.
2013 Exmark Commercial 30
2014 Exmark Lazer Z S Series EFI 52
2008 Stihl FS250R Trimmer
2010 Stihl FS90R Trimmer
200? Stihl FC75 Edger
2014 Stihl KM130R edger and trimmer shafts

2013 Stihl BR600 Backpack blower
Old 11-03-2012, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a Honda commercial too, great mower.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Honestly I would look at a stander instead of a WB, I have two now, a 40" and a 52" also I agree the 30" Toro will be my next push mower, I think you could get by not buying the commercial model in the beginning, save yourself $700.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Ive heard good things about the Honda Commercial 21's. The Toro Turfmaster looks perfect, seems like it would get the job done and you would save money of fuel costs compared to a traditional 12-16 hp walk behind. My only concern about the toro turfmaster is that the engine seems underpowered for the size of the machine. I'll have to look into the standers. I think I have a Wright dealer in my area. How are the standers on hills/slopes?
Old 11-04-2012, 06:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Turf master $1700
Stander $7000

Get the turfmaster and use it until you have 30 lawns a week. Then you can start thinking about a stander.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-04-2012, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

20 lawns is plenty to have a 40" stander if your also looking to grow your business, I would think that 30 lawns is just around the corner, I can get 10 new accounts in a months time and in even less time at the beginning of the season, you'll need time to get used to mowing with a stander as well, don't wait till you have to have it, by then you will need to be proficient with it in order to use it productively, I had my first one at around 20 accounts and am glad I did cause I went to 40 accounts very quickly and still wasn't as productive as I should have been, time is money in this business, make yourself as efficient as possible so you don't get overwhelmed when you start growing.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm right near you...Drexel Hill. 21"s are not really designed to mow too much. After 21"s kept breaking I got a $900 exmark commercial 21" to get into a few backyards, and it needed a new ignition coil after maybe 50 hours, but its lasting a lot longer than any other 21" I had. I've bought lightly used exmark viking 36" and used exmark 48" turf tracer, for maybe 2x cost of new "commercial" 21", I think they are the best walkbehinds. A 48" hydro walkbehind is about 4x faster than using a 21". A 36" walkbehind is decent since you can get through more fences. I wouldn't get a 32" since they aren't hydro.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Member

I would take the advice from above and get both mowers new from the same dealer. By buying new- you'll know the history of both machines from day 1 and you'll have warranties too.

The question is, what brand equipment dealers do you have close to you? Like within 45 minutes to an hour.

Brands I recommend: Hustler, Scag, Exmark, Gravely. We just bought a Gravely Pro-Walk 36 inch Hydro walk behind mower this summer and it cuts great! We also have the Exmark commercial x-series 21 inch mower and the Exmark Metro 26 inch walk behind- these are both great mowers! A little review for ya, let me know which dealers are near you.
Scag Pro-V 48
Gravely Pro-Walk FLH 36
Exmark Metro 26
Exmark X series 21
Stihl and Redmax Handhelds
Husqvarna Chainsaws