Register free!

Old 03-17-2013, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

For those doing 100% organic and/or a bridge program. Do you bag lawns......?

Lots of Walker mowers in my area and many clients are against non collection.

I have significantly reduced bagging on my mowing accounts and yes the ones I'm stuck bagging I'm not in control of the fertilizer.

Looking at that Walker mower thread has me wondering does a Walker even have a place in a Organic or Bridge Lawn program....? If you're only going to do incidental collection....why buy a Walker....?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-18-2013, 07:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If the client insist on bagging I don't even bother with an organic bridge program... bagging removes OM in mass...
What do the microbes have to feed on? There's nothing to recycle nutrients from...
I've watched decent layers of topsoil go down for a new lawn and within 10years you can notice the color is fading as only the MINERAL components of the soil remain... "Low mow and bag... Clean Like A Carpet", is what they imagine...
Old 03-18-2013, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Mulch mowing benefits all types of lawn care programs; organic, natural, bridge or conventional.

In addition to providing OM, recycling grass clippings supplies up to 25% of N annually.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 03-18-2013, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
Mulch mowing benefits all types of lawn care programs; organic, natural, bridge or conventional.

In addition to providing OM, recycling grass clippings supplies up to 25% of N annually.
Okay this basically begs the question of....how far can you go in the direction of synthetic fert and herbicide use....then cross over into THIS chemical based realm and then have the lawn suffer from the kill off of beneficial soil microbes, night crawlers and healthy cycling of nutrients.

I hope this doesn't start a war of words or clash of opinions etc.

Just looking for the best of both worlds.

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Exact Rototilling; 03-18-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I have been using organic fert for 5 years at least, and am just now beginning to mulch. The lawns look great without mulching, but I use alot of fert. Excited to see the results of increased OM!
I never tried mulching much before because I grew up under the pretense that mulching created thatch and left a lower quality of cut. Happy to be growing out of my inherited beliefs.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Wow older thread from over a year ago. The lawns I put down any fert on and mow ... I won't waste the organic based product on them if they insist on mowing lower than 2.75" and it has to be bagged. I will occasionally bag lawns I fully control in the Spring but I am a purist and I cringe when I must bag. Why on earth waste all that organic matter and haul it away...?

Bagging is all the rage here in the land of GHS Walkers.

Wish I had gotten into applications sooner.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2014, 01:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Wow older thread from over a year ago. The lawns I put down any fert on and mow ... I won't waste the organic based product on them if they insist on mowing lower than 2.75" and it has to be bagged. I will occasionally bag lawns I fully control in the Spring but I am a purist and I cringe when I must bag. Why on earth waste all that organic matter and haul it away...?

Bagging is all the rage here in the land of GHS Walkers.

Wish I had gotten into applications sooner.
Posted via Mobile Device
I have an exmark navigator, and it does 66% mulch 33% bag great. Love the mulching baffle feature.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:52 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crammin'Mows View Post
I have an exmark navigator, and it does 66% mulch 33% bag great. Love the mulching baffle feature.
So this would be good in heavy spring growth and no need to double cut for a manucuried like I normally do.

What other mower has a decent variable adjustable bagging feature like that...?

Toro TimeMaster running the older low lift blades is in fact a reduced collection mower...vs a WB with high lifts and a cumbersome side catcher.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2014, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
So this would be good in heavy spring growth and no need to double cut for a manucuried like I normally do.

What other mower has a decent variable adjustable bagging feature like that...?

Toro TimeMaster running the older low lift blades is in fact a reduced collection mower...vs a WB with high lifts and a cumbersome side catcher.
Posted via Mobile Device
Totally. It's also great here in Central Oregon when the pine needles fall, I just switch it to bag to pick them up. Takes 5 minutes to switch.
Not sure what other riders have that feature. I know the new john deeres have that mulch on demand feature, but its full mulch or full bag, like a walker, i believe.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I normally try to pick up all the pine needles and oak leaves, because they do not break down well... Either bag them with the rider or blow into the truck...

Last Fall I did mulch the few Oak Leaves on the ground towrd the end of the season with the Toro Timemaster 30...

It does do a good job mulching and I've been asking for better mulching blades, however the designers of the Timemaster 30 are not yet up to speed...